Options

a VA amphitheater review by locals

blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
edited March 2008 in The Porch
if you're going and wonder what the venue is like..........

ps. they have huge screens up now on either side of the stage.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/funplaces/detail.cfm?placeID=1219
*~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    that is the show I'm going to. Looks like the place sucks, but it's the closest to Ohio for KOL...so it will do
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    thunderDAN wrote:
    that is the show I'm going to. Looks like the place sucks, but it's the closest to Ohio for KOL...so it will do

Nah. There is a real cool vibe down there. Its like Virginia without the Virgina so to speak.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Nah. There is a real cool vibe down there. Its like Virginia without the Virgina so to speak.
    Yes it is. Been there twice for PJ. Good Shows too. Be there again 6/17. THANK YOU PJ
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    sorry if i scared you.
    lol
    remember it's a local review. locals tend to be critical.

it's also something like top 20 in ticket sales in the USA.

• Options
    site of my first pj show in 98 (LEATHERMAN and SONIC REDUCER). Magical. Saw them in 00 first show after Roskilde. Very emotional and great show. Long Road opened. Going home for a PEARL JAM ROAD TRIP. So awesome.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    shanishani Posts: 13
    So excited....can't wait! First PJ show on the East coast for me...gotta love the Army for moving us here....great timing! Don't care if the venue sucks, nothing compares to the Gorge. Just happy to see the boys!
  • Options
    Pearl JenPearl Jen Posts: 136
    site of my first pj show in 98 (LEATHERMAN and SONIC REDUCER). Magical. Saw them in 00 first show after Roskilde. Very emotional and great show. Long Road opened. Going home for a PEARL JAM ROAD TRIP. So awesome.

Yeah that was my first show as well! It def. was magical. I can't believe they are coming back here! I didn't think they ever would! (doesn't seem to be many PJ fans around here.)
  • Options
    wahinewahine Posts: 86
    The ampitheater was my first PJ show as well.... It's def a cool vibe up on the grass, and in June it will be warm but hopefully not oppressive. If you've never seen PJ at an outdoor venue, then give yourself the gift of a lifetime, b/c you will NEVER forget it! For me, PJ is better outdoors than in. And if you need a place to stay on the cheap side look for hotels/motels in Hampton, Buckroe Beach,Oceanview, and Norfolk. They are all a short drive away. Military Hwy will also have cheap stays, but not sure of cleanliness. If I could I would let you all pitch a tent in my yard, but my neighbors suck.... F!@king homeowners association!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine. I Am Mine
    Til the Lightning Bolt sets you free

Wahine - I'm a Lightning Bolt

9/2/98, 7/1/03, 10/3/05, 5/30/06, 6/17/08, ED-8/16/08, 10/30/09, 5/13/10, 10/29/13, 10/14/14

-RIP Hippiemom -
  • Options
    ^ yes! pj outside is da bomb!

kind of cool if the jets fly over too.
    oh and the moon! if it's big that night it'll look so cool with pj playing.

i think ya'll should block a few rooms out on the boardwalk/oceanfront and have a pj pArTy!

• Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    hey blondie!

can you recommend a hotel close to the venue? sometimes the address is not accurate (like it may be outside of VA beach -- I should know this stuff, I was born in the south eastern corner of VA!)

i saw horrible reviews by locals and i could care less about their opinion of the service, no tailgating allowed or $10 beers. dear reviewer -- dry yourself out so you don't have to pee and you won't miss any of the concert.

one lady said that people were drinking, smoking and making out in front of her daughter. well, then leave her at home til she is 16!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    It's a good venue. I've seen a handful of shows there. It's also great because my grandparents live 3 minutes away :D
  • Options
    sxysadiesxysadie Posts: 43
    I don't think you should come if you are concerned about the venue, especially if you have a low 10c number.

There are no hotels any where near the Ampitheater, it is kind of out in the middle of no where. You can stay at the oceanfront or in Norfolk. There are hotels on Newtown Road (Holiday Inn, LaQiunta) that would be close but it is not a pretty area. Just depends on what you want.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
    well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride! -Unknown
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    sxysadie wrote:
    I don't think you should come if you are concerned about the venue, especially if you have a low 10c number.

Well said!
  • Options
    sxysadie wrote:

There are no hotels any where near the Ampitheater, it is kind of out in the middle of no where. You can stay at the oceanfront or in Norfolk. There are hotels on Newtown Road (Holiday Inn, LaQiunta) that would be close but it is not a pretty area. Just depends on what you want.

this is true.

or you could hop off on the next exit, greenbrier and stay back where lots of hotels are at. (back by regal cinema) indian river road > greenbrier

iluvcats wrote:

i saw horrible reviews by locals and i could care less about their opinion of the service, no tailgating allowed or $10 beers. dear reviewer -- dry yourself out so you don't have to pee and you won't miss any of the concert.

lol!

• Options
    this is true.

or you could hop off on the next exit, greenbrier and stay back where lots of hotels are at. (back by regal cinema) indian river road > greenbrier

lol!

thanks ladies for the hotel advice....

and the second time I saw pj, i only drank the jack daniels that i stashed in my purse in a prescription bottle ;) (no fluids, only chewed gum so i would not miss a minute!!!)

by the eighth time i saw pj, i ventured out to buy a pepsi! they were playing garden and it sounded so good!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    I'M JUST SO EXCITED!

*runs around the room shouting*

:):)

• Options
    Pearl JenPearl Jen Posts: 136
    this is true.
    !

Yeah that would prob. be the cheapest way to go. Most, if not all, of the hotels at the oceanfront are expensive in the summer. If you stay in the greenbrier area you will be about 20 min. from the amphitheater. The beach is prob. 20-25. Norfolk 35-40 min. away.
    I wouldn't really call it the middle of nowhere; they have built a lot of things in that area in the past few years.
  • Options
    yeah, it's just that the Amp used to be on the edge of town. so it looked like the middle of nowhere. not like that anymore!

• Options
    sxysadiesxysadie Posts: 43
    There aren't many hotels close by. Town Center has a Hilton Garden Inn and a Westin that is pretty close.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
    well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride! -Unknown
  • Options
    bump

gosh I have a bad memory. I found the link where it said no tailgating. I forgot.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    Bird888Bird888 Posts: 99
    uh, when it says "no tailgating" does that mean not even without alcohol? No snide remarks now, I'm bringing my kids and I'll be the only one over 21 anyway.

also loved the venue reviewer who thought everyone was rude cause they stood up and damnit, there was just no way he was going to stand. that cracked me up...
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride" ! Unknown

• Options
    bump

because i feel dumb not knowing the answer. .......i've been there so much.

now i do think i remember people hanging around their cars afterwards. but that because it takes so long to get out of there.

Buffalo wild wings at landstown shopping center before the show. Come one, come all!