zwan

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
edited September 2006 in Other Music
any of you fans of this album?? i love it. i play it often and have heard it more than any smashing pumpkins album, except for adore. i think this is a pretty great album, but it sold poorly and that was the end of zwan. but i'll always spin this cd. it's a happy album, it puts me in a good mood. : )
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i decided to wear my zwan shirt today and when i woke up i was thinking about how much i love this band, more so than any album that the pumpkins put out. Lyric is such a great opener, and Jimmys drumming on the album is mind blowing.

Plus having Paz playing the bass made it easy to like
  • Watching Billy Corgan smile in the Zwan videos scared the shit out of me, and still gives me the creeps when I think about it...
    Not a fan of Zwan...
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • I really dug the Zwan album. The song "Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea" is a great guitar epic in the vein of Jane's Addiction's Three Days.
  • clayton12 wrote:
    i decided to wear my zwan shirt today and when i woke up i was thinking about how much i love this band, more so than any album that the pumpkins put out. Lyric is such a great opener, and Jimmys drumming on the album is mind blowing.

Plus having Paz playing the bass made it easy to like

jimmy is one of the best drummers i've ever heard. i can see why billy loves him so much. i think the album has one great song after another, i only skip 2 or 3 songs near the end of the album. i love the solo at the end of settle down and black swan is superb.
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    May have to put this one on,havent heard it in ages.
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • I agree, ZWAN was a great band, nice record, and seeing Billy smile and laugh creeps me out too!

If you want more of Zwan, check out http://www.ozphoria.net, and click on the downloads section. There is tons of outtakes, lots of acoustic stuff (a cool version of Mary Star of the Sea acoustic), and other demos... There also is a quality FM recording of Billy's solo show in Chicago last summer.

Go get it y'all...
  • I agree, ZWAN was a great band, nice record, and seeing Billy smile and laugh creeps me out too!

If you want more of Zwan, check out http://www.ozphoria.net, and click on the downloads section. There is tons of outtakes, lots of acoustic stuff (a cool version of Mary Star of the Sea acoustic), and other demos... There also is a quality FM recording of Billy's solo show in Chicago last summer.

Go get it y'all...

thanks a lot! i didn't know about any of this. the acoustic stuff sounds cool. : )
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    the only Zwan i have is a single w/ an acoustic "Number of the Beast" by Iron Madien on it. and i love it yes i do.
  • caifan82 wrote:
    Watching Billy Corgan smile in the Zwan videos scared the shit out of me, and still gives me the creeps when I think about it...
    Not a fan of Zwan...

are you a fan of smashing pumpkins?? if you are, i can't see how you wouldn't like zwan. almost the same band, with billy writing the songs, as usual.
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    i hate billy for breaking up zwan. i love the album. i listened to it for weeks on end and then billy had to be a twat and finish the band.
  • RWRW Posts: 97
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I really dug the Zwan album. The song "Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea" is a great guitar epic in the vein of Jane's Addiction's Three Days.

I agree. That song was amazing live. I saw them when they toured with QOTSA and that song blew me away. Never understood why that album wasn't more popular.
  • darkcrow wrote:
    i hate billy for breaking up zwan. i love the album. i listened to it for weeks on end and then billy had to be a twat and finish the band.

Did you read the reasons why he broke the band?
    If didn't, do it and they you'll understand.
    Hey I, ooooooohhh, I'm still ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    Did you read the reasons why he broke the band?
    If didn't, do it and they you'll understand.

actually i did read his reasons and i still hate him. he is such a whining idiot.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Loved 'em live...thought the album sounded like Billy recorded himself frying an egg, and mixed it into every song...compressed to death! The album is definitely a candidate for remix/remastering someday.
  • The album was patchy at best. it has some really good songs, especially the title track, but some of it was pure muck (like Honestly, bleurgh!). I can't understand how anyone could say it's better than Siamese Dream or MCIS.
  • The album was patchy at best. it has some really good songs, especially the title track, but some of it was pure muck (like Honestly, bleurgh!). I can't understand how anyone could say it's better than Siamese Dream or MCIS.

I absolutely agree. Zwan was promising, but like most of latter-day Pumpkins a lot of the songs were pretty bland. Don't even get me started on Billy Corgan's solo record.....Billy stick to playing guitar, it's what you're best at!!
  • That solo effort was beyond shit, to be honest. It was a very hard listen for someone such as myself who grew up listening to the Pumpkins :(
  • That solo effort was beyond shit, to be honest. It was a very hard listen for someone such as myself who grew up listening to the Pumpkins :(

I totally hear that. I'm listening to Siamese Dream at the moment, what a fucking record, the guitar work is just jaw-dropping, plus there's not one bad song on there.
  • Absolutely, SD is one of the seminal rock albums of the 90s imo, right up there with Ten, Nevermind and Badmotorfinger et al.
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    wouldn't use the word love..but i like this album..it's got pretty good tracks
    definitely alot better than Billy's solo album ;)
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Actually Billy plays guitar on every track in his solo album. As for Zwan, aside from "Settle Down" I do like the album a lot.
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    are you a fan of smashing pumpkins?? if you are, i can't see how you wouldn't like zwan. almost the same band, with billy writing the songs, as usual.

Yeah, I'm a SP fan. I don't like Zwan for the following reasons:
    1- No James Iha
    2- Smashing Pumpkins songs were in most cases dark and complex... Zwan was like bunnies and carebears having a picnic in the park on a sunny afternoon.
    3- Not one song of the album hooked me up.
    4- Rainbow stickers? WTF?
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • I like "Lyric," and "Jesus, I / Mary Star Of The Sea," but everything else on the CD is crap. I hate it. Too fucking cheery for my liking.
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • So what was Billy's reason for breaking up Zwan? I think I fell in love with their bass player by the way. She was pretty sweet.
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
  • Really liked this album, wish they got more a chance to push it. This is an album that I know I'll be going back to 5 years down the road, which is more I can say than for Machina, Billy's solo or Adore.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Loved 'em live...thought the album sounded like Billy recorded himself frying an egg, and mixed it into every song...compressed to death! The album is definitely a candidate for remix/remastering someday.

Agreed.
  • caifan82 wrote:
    Yeah, I'm a SP fan. I don't like Zwan for the following reasons:
    1- No James Iha
    James Iha barely wrote anything for the Pumpkins anyway, i.e. zilch for SD, and hardly anything for the other albums bar the odd (usually not very good) song and solo here and there.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I like their album but they were nothing special... It was a solid rock album wish they had made some more music.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • excellent album
    excellent live
  • hated 'honestly' when it was played on the radio when it came out. but then again i was never really a fan of billy corgan's voice anyways. but to each their own.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II