Baby You're a Rich Man

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Been hooked on this Beatles tune lately. It's such a unique song. And I always wondered what the one instrument was, so I finally looked it up on wiki. I've never heard anything quite like it. And I love when songwriters take 2 separate songs and merge them together. They did the same thing with 'A Day in the Life'.

I also never knew that Mick Jagger contributed backing vocals on the song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_You're_a_Rich_Man
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If you listen, you can hear John singing "Baby, you're a rich fag Jew", a reference to Brian Epstein (who died the following August). That's no "Paul is dead"-type myth. Once you hear it, it's as clear as a bell forevermore!
  • If you listen, you can hear John singing "Baby, you're a rich fag Jew", a reference to Brian Epstein (who died the following August). That's no "Paul is dead"-type myth. Once you hear it, it's as clear as a bell forevermore!

WHere, near the end when it's fading out??
  • Yep. Near enough.

Lots of people try and deny he said it, but if you can hear him say it, it's impossible to mistake it for anything else.
  • Yep. Near enough.

Lots of people try and deny he said it, but if you can hear him say it, it's impossible to mistake it for anything else.

I'm not hearing it, but maybe I just need better head phones. I heard the rumour that he sang it though. I know he definitely said "I buried Paul' at the end of Strawberry Fields Forever. No way he said "cranberry sauce".
  • I'm not hearing it, but maybe I just need better head phones. I heard the rumour that he sang it though. I know he definitely said "I buried Paul' at the end of Strawberry Fields Forever. No way he said "cranberry sauce".

Nah, that was "cranberry sauce." He says it twice. On on unreleased take, he adds, "My mother made it for me."
  • Nah, that was "cranberry sauce." He says it twice. On on unreleased take, he adds, "My mother made it for me."

Sorry, but I just played it again and that's what I hear. I don't hear 'cranberry sauce' at all. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

I'll keep listening for the "Rich fag jew" part in BYARM though! :D
  • Sorry, but I just played it again and that's what I hear. I don't hear 'cranberry sauce' at all. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

If you have the Anthology outtakes, you'll hear "cranberry sauce" perfectly clearly.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Great song, love the Magical Mystery Tour LP
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Great song, love the Magical Mystery Tour LP

me too. i had that movie and i accidentally threw it away :(
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Sorry, but I just played it again and that's what I hear. I don't hear 'cranberry sauce' at all. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

It's definitely cranberry sauce.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden