if lennon had lived....

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
edited July 2006 in Other Music
do you think he would have been healthy enogh to be alive today?? do you think the beatles would have reunited - either to record new songs/albums, or to just play some shows together?? do you think lennon would have been writing great songs still, or would he have written shit, like paul??would he still be a peace activist?? or would he be more like a burned out, should be dead guy, like keith richards??
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    He would have probably continued with his solo career. There may have been a couple of Beatles reunions for chairty events...but I don't think they would have ever fully gotten back together. I wish Lennon was still around. I mean seeing a Paul McCartney solo show is cool...but imagine a Lennon solo show. Not only his stuff, but he could play all the Beatles' psychadelic shit.
  • He would have probably continued with his solo career. There may have been a couple of Beatles reunions for chairty events...but I don't think they would have ever fully gotten back together. I wish Lennon was still around. I mean seeing a Paul McCartney solo show is cool...but imagine a Lennon solo show. Not only his stuff, but he could play all the Beatles' psychadelic shit.

ya, i always think that, too. i have the dvd 'paul mccartney in red square' and it's amazing. but i can only "imagine" what a lennon show would have been like. i wonder what songs he would have wanted to play, especially early-beatles, like help and ticket to ride. would he have played those, or stuck to the later songs, like revolution and come together?? we were so robbed.
  • Ya mean, if John was alive today, would he still be alive today? ;)

Um, well, John and Paul did reunite in the studio in 1974, for that very dodgy session in LA, which surfaced as "A Toot and a Snore in '74."

It's alleged that The Beatles did have a go at a reunion session, in 1976, but things fell apart. No-one knows for sure whether any recording still exists, or whether they were destroyed under instruction.

Maybe they'd have done a one-off concert for Live Aid, but, as John said, he was more into the idea of the band getting back into the studio, than doing shows.
  • Ya mean, if John was alive today, would he still be alive today? ;)

Um, well, John and Paul did reunite in the studio in 1974, for that very dodgy session in LA, which surfaced as "A Toot and a Snore in '74."

It's alleged that The Beatles did have a go at a reunion session, in 1976, but things fell apart. No-one knows for sure whether any recording still exists, or whether they were destroyed under instruction.

Maybe they'd have done a one-off concert for Live Aid, but, as John said, he was more into the idea of the band getting back into the studio, than doing shows.

ya, i meant if he hadn't been murdered, would he still be alive today. :D that's anybodys guess, though. i think he'd be a little fucked up ala ozzie, ala keith richards.

i think the beatles prolly would have done all kinds of things together, write new songs, make albums and do shows. i don't know ho well it would have turned out. they might have made a couple of shitty records together, some bad songs, but they would have been magical live, especially playing all the old stuff. i think it'd be like the rolling stones situation, always touring, selling out shows in under a minute, maybe even getting laughed at a little. i like to think that, like eddie, lennon would have been against george bush and the war in iraq. the vote for change tour might have even included him??
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    He would have probably continued with his solo career. There may have been a couple of Beatles reunions for chairty events...but I don't think they would have ever fully gotten back together. I wish Lennon was still around. I mean seeing a Paul McCartney solo show is cool...but imagine a Lennon solo show. Not only his stuff, but he could play all the Beatles' psychadelic shit.

i agree. long live john..
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    do you think he would have been healthy enogh to be alive today?? do you think the beatles would have reunited - either to record new songs/albums, or to just play some shows together?? do you think lennon would have been writing great songs still, or would he have written shit, like paul??would he still be a peace activist?? or would he be more like a burned out, should be dead guy, like keith richards??

I think he could have given us a few more records and I think he would have kept speaking his mind. For Lennon as a symbol dying was the best thing. Musically as well. Dylan for instence is not what he used to be. I think that maybe he was getting into a space in time that he was finally happy and healthy and free too bad it had to end for him as a person.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    i was surprised when ozzy osbourne told one of his biggest influences is Mr. john lennon
    his sister Mimi told Lennon frequently "The guitar's all very well, John, but you'll never make a living out of it.
    During live performances of "I Want to Hold Your Hand", Lennon often changed the words to "I want to hold your gland", (meaning breast/mammary gland) because no one could hear the vocals anyway, above the noise of the screaming audiences.

John displayed his usual brand of humour when a reporter asked him: "Does it bother you that you can't hear what you sing during concerts?" John: "No, we don't mind. We've got the records at home."
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I often wonder about legends such as John Lennon that if they hadn't died would they be as popular today? I mean the fact he died so young and in such tragic circumstances is another reason he is given the label of "legend". I'm not saying he doesn't deserve that status but still it's something I wonder about.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
    have u seen beatles anthology? its great.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I think Lennon would have given us some really teriffic music, and unlike Elton John, not cheesy Lion King songs either. He was really finding his own sound when it happened.

I don't however think a Beatles re-union would've happened. I think he was so past anything Beatles that he would have seen it as more of a frustrating thing waiting to happen than anything else. Despite the money.

He would have a lot to say politically today. A lot.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Lennon was the cream of the crop....at least until YOKO entered the picture. I'm sure he would have continued to make amazing music, art, etc.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    the only good thing about people like Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Lennon, Cobain dying so early and tragically is that they went out at their peaks and we are left to wonder "what would have happened?" as opposed to some other classic artists where know full well what happened and it fucking sucked.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • suffragettesuffragette Posts: 253
    tonadax wrote:
    his sister Mimi told Lennon frequently "The guitar's all very well, John, but you'll never make a living out of it.

Mimi was his aunt, sister of the mother John witnessed run over.
    tonadax wrote:
    i was surprised when ozzy osbourne told one of his biggest influences is Mr. john lennon

didn't ozzy do a cover of in my life? it sucked. sorry.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    The Age thing I think has helped Lennon no end. The died before releasing any album in the terrible eighties(releaving Double fantasy). We also had to endure any of Yoko's terrible influences. I would have loved to see the Beatles now or early 90's.
    I think that he was on the wane anyway. He would have left Yoko and gone back to England
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    I think Lennon would have given us some really teriffic music, and unlike Elton John, not cheesy Lion King songs either. He was really finding his own sound when it happened.

I don't however think a Beatles re-union would've happened. I think he was so past anything Beatles that he would have seen it as more of a frustrating thing waiting to happen than anything else. Despite the money.

He would have a lot to say politically today. A lot.
    Are you serious. Lennon was great but he was making pop music at the end. "I'm just watching the wheels go round and round" was crap.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Lennon alive might have meant more stuff from George Harrison. The attack on Lennon really made George quite paranoid, which with hindsight was very prophetic on his part.

I don't believe that a Beatles reunion would have ever occured........even after John's death, the other lads really did not do much together with the exception of Ringo working with Paul and George on their solo stuff.

With John alive, they might have kept their catalog from falling into Jacko's hands.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I think a Beatles reunion was a certainty. In the February 2006 issue of Record Collector magazine there is an article that reads:

"A 1978 CBS contract for 6 million pounds for a reunited Beatles emerged last December, indicating that Paul McCartney was reconciled with his former bandmates. Producer Jack Douglas revealed to The Times that John Lennon was, in fact, secretly planning to record a new Beatles album at the time he was shot, in 1980."

Also, I am sick of the Yoko bashing. She has gotten the worst wrap in the history of music.

If people knew anything about John Lennon, they should realize that he could not be "controlled" by anyone. Some of his greatest work with the Beatles and his two solo masterpieces were made "under the spell" of Yoko. If you want to blame Yoko for breaking up the Beatles, then blame Linda McCartney, Allen Klein, Lew Grade, Clive Epstein, etc. as well.
  • I think a Beatles reunion was a certainty. In the February 2006 issue of Record Collector magazine there is an article that reads:

"A 1978 CBS contract for 6 million pounds for a reunited Beatles emerged last December, indicating that Paul McCartney was reconciled with his former bandmates. Producer Jack Douglas revealed to The Times that John Lennon was, in fact, secretly planning to record a new Beatles album at the time he was shot, in 1980."

Also, I am sick of the Yoko bashing. She has gotten the worst wrap in the history of music.

If people knew anything about John Lennon, they should realize that he could not be "controlled" by anyone. Some of his greatest work with the Beatles and his two solo masterpieces were made "under the spell" of Yoko. If you want to blame Yoko for breaking up the Beatles, then blame Linda McCartney, Allen Klein, Lew Grade, Clive Epstein, etc. as well.

i agree. yoko was good for john. he wrote some of his best songs after they hooked up, like don't let me down and julia. :)
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    McCartney BTW confirmed that article at the last anniversary of John's passing. The Beatles were going to get back together, at least for recording. Too bad that they couldn't get over themselves in the 70s.

Much the same way i feel about Pink Floyd these days. They could still be making prolific music, but their heads are way too far up their asses.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I reckon he would still be writing today and I think it would've been good too.

The Double Fantasy stuff sucked a little and I dont think he would've been much cop in the eightes (like Dylan) but I think the 90s, also like Dylan, would've seen some good Lennon records.

Maybe he wouldve done a Johnny Cash and hooked up with Rubin and do a stripped down full acoustic record.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton