any silverchair fans on here?

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
edited May 2006 in Other Music
although they're a few years younger than me, i really got to like their music, especially after neon ballroom. and then diorama blew me away. i have to ask, where are they now? it's been 4 years since the last album. thanks.

here's a music video i didn't know existed until now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-KRSJWtrs0&search=silverchair
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• here's a live performance of my favorite neon ballroom track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPuRtTX5FA&search=silverchair
  • richoricho Posts: 4
    Hey, I'm a huge silverchair fan. I saw them live about a week ago at the Great Escape. They played a few new songs of their new album which is set to be realiesed either this year or early next year. The new songs are a lot heavier compared to Diorama - more neon-ballroomish. The new CDs rumoured to be double disc, which would make my year. Ciao.
  • richo wrote:
    Hey, I'm a huge silverchair fan. I saw them live about a week ago at the Great Escape. They played a few new songs of their new album which is set to be realiesed either this year or early next year. The new songs are a lot heavier compared to Diorama - more neon-ballroomish. The new CDs rumoured to be double disc, which would make my year. Ciao.

oh really. glad to hear it. i was wondering what was going on. i knew there was something wrong with the singer a couple of years ago, a medical problem of some kind. i hope they tour north america sometime soon. i say them in 1999 when they played the "edgefest" festival in canada. but it's nice to hear that they're still making music and there's a new album on the way. thanks for the info. ;)
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Best band of middle/high schoolers I ever heard on Frogstomp. I loved that album! All my friends went to see them during Senior Week '99 at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, SC but my damn ex-girlfriend wouldn't let me go. I think we went and saw a movie instead. I know, I was a pussy.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • silverchair are an awesome band and if they get this album out by the end of the year, i'm expecting it to challenge for album of the year. i liked diorama but i'm glad to hear they are a little heavier with this new album.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • 7 Kettles7 Kettles Posts: 86
    silverchair is wonderful. it's kind of too bad that they were written off after freak show, and as a result, not many people are aware of neon ballroom and diorama (barring the singles). daniel johns seems to be incapable of writing a terrible song...except perhaps anthem for the year 2000. i've also heard rumblings of a double album in the works, but i bet they won't come out with a new album until at least 2007.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • 7 Kettles wrote:
    silverchair is wonderful. it's kind of too bad that they were written off after freak show, and as a result, not many people are aware of neon ballroom and diorama (barring the singles). daniel johns seems to be incapable of writing a terrible song...except perhaps anthem for the year 2000. i've also heard rumblings of a double album in the works, but i bet they won't come out with a new album until at least 2007.

yes, they will prove a lot of people wrong. they have staying power. even bono is a fan. they're still young and i think if they have a double album in the works, it's gonna be something big. i can't wait.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I'm not a fan of their first 2 albums, but NB and Diorama were classics (especiallly Diorama) and their new cd sometime in the next year or so should be great..
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Diorama is a badass record. Daniel Johns can't write a bad song.
  • Miles Away
    There's hopeless smiles brighter than mine
    And I need for you to come and go
    Without the truth falling out.

Old incisions refusing to stay
    Like sun through the trees on a cloudy day

Telephone
    Socially scared and impaired
    If the trees will bloom the wind can blow
    Without the fruit falling out

Feels like the wind blows
    Holding you with us
    She takes no other
    False light and ashes
    Blooming like winter

You brighten my life like a polystyrene hat
    But it melts in the sun like a life without love
    But I've waited for you so I'll keep holding on
    Without You

this is a great song. i like when the song fades out, and then music fades in, a different sound. i don't know what instruments they were but it is one the the most mellow, majestic and inspiring sounds i've ever heard on a record. if there's an afterlife, this is what it would sound like as your soul leaves you're body and floats upwards.
  • I love silverchair, top-quality band of the 90's. Neon Ballroom is amazing.

"Emotion Sickness" is wow...
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Johns suffered from anorexia hence Anas Song (Open Fire). They are fucking a brilliant band. Johns is a great lead man and great writer. I hope they hit NA soon. Israel's Son is one of the best songs in the world. I love it.
    32 shows and counting...
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I would really like to see them be big in America again. Neon Ballroom and Diorama are incredible records. Did any songs do remotley well in America after Anthem for the Year 2000? I know a lot of people know Ana's Song, but I can't recall ever hearing it on the radio
  • rustyguitarrustyguitar Posts: 31
    I saw them a couple of times back in the day (I'm feeling old lately for only being 28)...the first time was at Arrow Hall in Toronto in 1997. Handsome and Local H (they have a song called Eddie Vedder believe it or not) opened. I remember the sound being kinda crap for the openers but when Silverchair took the stage it was too loud. There were actually people leaving because it was physically painful. Regardless, it was a kick-ass show once they figured out the sound mix. One of the most memorable shows I've been to just because of the energy of the band and the crowd. They opened with Slave...Ben's kick drum just bloody rumbled the place. It was funny because with the band being so young - so were most of the fans. They actually had a "holding pen" for the parents to play BINGO while the concert was going on...they could watch their kiddies through a huge window.

I think they're a highly underrated band and I'm looking forward to some new material. Bring on the double disc.
    I "waved to all my friends" at:
    Toronto 22/08/98 - Toronto 05/10/00 - Buffalo 02/05/03 - Toronto 28/06/03 - Montreal 29/06/03 - Kitchener 11/09/05 - London 12/09/05- Hamilton 13/09/05 - Montreal 15/09/05 - Ottawa 16/09/05 - Toronto 19/09/05 - Toronto 09/05/06 - Toronto 10/05/06 - Toronto 21/08/09
  • I'm a HUGE Chair fan. They rock. New album is being recorded right now. They've played a few new songs at some recent gigs. Diorama was incredible. I was lucky to see them live at he Bowery Ballroom in NYC in 03.
    They'll be back
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Just in case you didn't know, Daniel did a side project with some dude called paul mac, they called themselves the dissociatives. THey're pretty good, not as good as silverchair obviously but something a bit different.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I think they're a highly underrated band and I'm looking forward to some new material. Bring on the double disc.

whoa whoa whoa, back that ass up... double disc? is this wishful thinking or what?

anyway, i love silverchair. is there any way to get a copy of that 4-disc dvd/cd live set they released without paying crazy amounts of money to have it shipped over from australia?
  • Ben Red BlueBen Red Blue Posts: 124
    Has anyone actually looked at their site? They've got a cool video diary like thing happening while they record.

And Im pretty sure I read DJ say it wont be a double record.
    Benjamin, TouringVan 05/06

"Who is driving? Oh my god Bear is driving, how can that be?! ...Car full of midgets!"

Photobucket: MagicBus2006
  • NothingbetterNothingbetter Posts: 570
    I love Silverchair as well.

Last I read, Daniel Johns was pursuing some side stuff for a while there. Glad to hear they are back.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • zenabizenabi Posts: 2
    I've always loved Silverchair. I mean they did Frogstomp when they were 15...15! Tomorrow is still one of my favorite songs.
  • Really, They're back? I've waited so long. I only really liked the first song and video. Let me know.

They're probable like Pearl Jam fading off after the first album. The others have good songs but as far as consistency I haven't liked much lately.

Letterman was cool. Eddie is lacking in energy lately. I think he's on heroin.
    I love Silverchair as well.

Last I read, Daniel Johns was pursuing some side stuff for a while there. Glad to hear they are back.
    Consciousness is Power
  • whoa whoa whoa, back that ass up... double disc? is this wishful thinking or what?

anyway, i love silverchair. is there any way to get a copy of that 4-disc dvd/cd live set they released without paying crazy amounts of money to have it shipped over from australia?

i bought that from a cd closing down sale for $15 :D
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • danedane Posts: 1,062
    I didn't even know that they still exist!! I have Frogstomp and it kicks ass. I remember seeing a video after Frogstomp. Apperently it was a protest against some australian politician(?)
    What's all this talk of Neon Ballroom and Diorama?? I'm off to the recordstore!
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I really liked them. Good to hear they are still around and putting out a new album. I'll have to pick it up. Hopefully they will play Vancouver again. Thanks. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Diorama was a terribly underrated album.

BTW, every chick that I know who likes Silverchair is real F'n hot. It's an anomaly. :)
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    new album name:

young modern

im so excited. every time they slip out of my mind, they come back and blow me away with a new album. is anyone going to any of their shows later this year? im anxious for some impressions of how the new material sounds. also, australian fall is american spring right?
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    a very talented band... they have never recieved the credit they deserve....

its amazing how young they were (and how talented) when they first became famous... i think one of the band members was like 14 when the band hit it big?

craziness! cool that they are coming out with a new album, ill have to check it out
  • they played at the australian music awards just recently and played a midnight oil song as the oil were getting inducted into the hall of fame. soulsinging just take the opposite season and that is what are in eg: while you are in summer we are in winter. they are probably australia's best band (on record anyway) and daniel will be doing a record with luke steel from sleepy jackson fairly soon as well a new chair record.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • tamaratamara Posts: 10
    daniel will be doing a record with luke steel from sleepy jackson fairly soon as well a new chair record.

I hadn't heard that. Look forward to it.