Your fave bands/solo artist from each decade

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
edited April 2007 in Other Music
50's - I'm going to pick the Shirelles here, because they actually had talent and could sing, unlike the talentless bimbos of today who make it big by looking like hot sluts. Plus it's my only opportunity to pick a favorite female group/solo artist. They really made their mark in the 60's, but they were formed in 1958, according to wiki.

60's - The Beatles. No explanation needed, really. I've been listening to them since I was 14/15. I can only go so long without listening to them before I go on a binge. Their music is timeless and I will enjoy it for the rest of my life.

70's - John Lennon. He didn't need to be in the Beatles to write great songs.

80's - Guns n'fuckin' Roses. My first favorite band. I was obsessed with Appetite for Destruction. I wish they could have made one more album together. Axl - you're an asshole.

90's - Since this is the 'other music' thread, and it's obvious I would pick Pearl Jam, I will pick my other favorite. Many to choose from, but the only other artist that came out of the 90's that I still love and follow to this day is Beck. He is a genius and I hope he continues making music for a long, long time.

2000-present, sadly there's nothing new out there today that grabs me. I find myself going back to the older stuff.
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    50's- Miles Davis His career spans many decades and his brillance is showcased in each. I adore Kind of blue and it was born in this decade. To me he wins on that album alone (although he had many other great albums this decade to go along with it)

60's- Bob Dylan- I always liked bobs acoustic side and he did some marvolous work in this decade. Can't go Wrong with Bob

70's- Neil Young- Many great groups and heavy competition, but to me this was neil's watershed decade. Mainstream success such as Harvest and fan favorite albums such as on the beach. He was burning up inside during this time and his music showcased that.

80's- Dinosaur Jr- J, Murph, & Lou making music that i'll never forget. J melted faces at an unimaginable rate. (and still does)

90's- Pearl Jam of course. I don't think i need to explain. This decade like the 70s had many for me to choose from but i love the 90's albums.

00's-I'm changing my orginal pick for the 00's to Mastodon. These guys rock so hard i love them. I can't get enough of them. Once i see them in May it will be the 4th time i've seen them live in 9 months.

That said wilco, arcade fire, mars volta are all makeing very good music too. Perhaps in another hour i'll switch it to one of them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    50's: Johnny Cash (had to cheat and check Wikipedia for music that came out in the 50's....a little too before my time)

60's: the Beatles

70's: the Clash
    Neil Young

80's: the Cure
    Sonic Youth

90's: Sebadoh
    the Rheostatics

00's: Arcade Fire
    Broken Social Scene
    the Decemberists
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Man, this is hard! I'm having a really tough time picking just one from any decade.

50s - Chuck Berry

60s - Bob Dylan

70s - Led Zeppelin

80s - U2

90s - Pearl Jam

00s - The White Stripes

I could change my mind about any of these except PJ at a moment's notice. The list of bands that are *this close* to being my #1 is long.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    I love your post, but it's so hard to pick just one.

50's- Buddy Holly. Unbelievably catchy songs and a style that now sounds retro rather than dated.

60's- Everyone loves the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, but the group I keep going back to is Creedence Clearwater Revival. John Fogerty may be the most underrated songwriter of the 60's.

70's- Bruce Springsteen. I thought that Born to Run was the greatest thing that I had ever heard. It's still my favorite album and THUNDER ROAD is still my favorite song.

80's- Prince. What a talent. This guy can do anything and do it well. The voice, the songwriting, the musicianship.

90's- Radiohead. The most innovative band of the 90's?

00's- The White Stripes/Jack White. Jack White is another amazing talent with a unique voice.
  • bassmac2bassmac2 Posts: 12
    hard to pick some..

50's-Buddy Holly

60's-The Beatles

70's-Neil Young

80's-ummm....not to big on the 80's but id have to say U2

90's-Pearl Jam

00's-Kings of Leon
    Given To Fly
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    50's - Elvis
    60's - Beatles
    70's - Led Zeppelin
    80's - Iron Maiden
    90's - Pearl Jam
    00's - Nothing
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    50's - Elvis Presley
    60's - The Beatles
    70's - Pink Floyd
    80's - NIN (hey, their first album was released in '89!)
    90's - PEARL JAM
    00's - Wolfmother
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    50's - Elvis Presley
    60's - The Beatles
    70's - Pink Floyd
    80's - NIN (hey, their first album was released in '89!)
    90's - PEARL JAM
    00's - Wolfmother
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    50's - Chuck Berry

60's - Beatles

70's - The Ramones

80's - U2

90's - Pearl Jam

00's - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I've never understood the lack of enthusiasm folks on this message board have for bands making music today. I won't bash anyones opinion but their a some great bands making music in my opinion. Sure none of the bands i think are great are being pumped by the radio, but the music is still very good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    50's: Chuck Berry
    60's: The Doors
    70's: Pink Floyd
    80's: Red Hot Chili Peppers
    90's: Obviously Pearl Jam, but also Stone Temple Pilots
    00's: Death From Above 1979
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • intodeep wrote:
    I've never understood the lack of enthusiasm folks on this message board have for bands making music today. I won't bash anyones opinion but their a some great bands making music in my opinion. Sure none of the bands i think are great are being pumped by the radio, but the music is still very good.

I think the problem for me is, I don't listen to the radio like I used to. I don't watch much music. I don't watch SNL. And I don't pick up every issue of Rolling Stone. I'm more or less out of the loop, I guess. Not saying there isn't anything good out there. So I shouldn't have said that nothing grabs me today. I'm just not hearing anything. If I had to pick someone, I would say Eminem, though. Not a fan, but I do own and really like 'the Eminem show'. I never thought I would like rap music.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    intodeep wrote:

I listen to the alternative station on Sirius and will listen to the bands that a lot of people here like........honestly they all sound the same......especially voices.......ah hell the music too....but if you or others like them, great but I haven't heard anything unique........:)
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    cutback wrote:
    I listen to the alternative station on Sirius and will listen to the bands that a lot of people here like........honestly they all sound the same......especially voices.......ah hell the music too....but if you or others like them, great but I haven't heard anything unique........:)

I listen, too, and I know what you mean. I think that some of the songwriting is where the issue arises.
    well sonny....they sure don't make music like they used to....back in in the good ol' flannel days when the music meant something

....pretty sad really - just a reflection of the age of most people on this board in my opinion (reminds me of conversations I used to hear my parents having with their friends about how they just can't relate to new music and how much they miss their good ol' rock n roll)

....i've said it before (and i'll say it again) - in my opinion the music that has come out this decade kicks the crap out of the majority of stuff from the '90s
  • Wow, tough question.

50's: Frank Sinatra
    60's: Led Zeppelin
    70's: Pink Floyd
    80's: Metallica
    90's: Pearl Jam
    00's: Incubus
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    50s: Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode still kicks ass after all these years
    60s: The Doors - They were ahead of their time imo
    70s: Led Zeppelin - One of the greatest bands
    80s: Sonic Youth - Love the collage of noise that is SY
    90s: Pearl Jam - duh
    00s: Pearl Jam - I'm like a lot of others that aren't in the loop in regards to new bands, and since I like PJs albums this decade as well...if I can't choose PJ twice, then I go with Sleater-Kinney
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    50's: Elvis, Miles Davis, John Caltrone

60's: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Velvet Underground

70's: Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Clash, The Ramones

80's: Metallica, Sonic Youth, The Cure, Slayer, The Sound, Pixies, Tom Waits

90's: Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Kyuss, Radiohead, Oasis, The God Machine, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Nirvana, Slint

00's: Porcupine Tree, Drive-By Truckers, Anathema, A Perfect Circle, Explosions In The Sky, Boris, Mastodon, Grandaddy
  • 50s - Miles Davis
    60s - John Coltrane
    70s - Led Zeppelin
    80s - Soundgarden (Louder than Love was in the 80s)
    90s - Nirvana
    00s - The Mars Volta
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    This is a great thread!! I'm going under the premise that you can only list a band once.

50's-Chuck Berry
    60's-The Roling Stones
    70's-Led Zeppelin
    80's-Guns N' Roses
    90's-Pearl Jam/Oasis
    00's-Nothing as this decade fucking sucks ass. It would be an insult to the great musicians I listed above to pick some second rate hacks from this decade.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    This is a great thread!! I'm going under the premise that you can only list a band once.

50's-Chuck Berry
    60's-The Roling Stones
    70's-Led Zeppelin
    80's-Guns N' Roses
    90's-Pearl Jam/Oasis
    00's-Nothing as this decade fucking sucks ass. It would be an insult to the great musicians I listed above to pick some second rate hacks from this decade.
    Matty Boy...throwing Oasis in there was far more insulting then a lot of stuff you could've picked from this decade. There's some great stuff out there, good music just doesn't get popular anymore so you have to find it.
    Matty Boy wrote:

please refer to post #16 in this thread

.....I gotta stop hanging out on this board - I have NOTHING in common with 95% of the people here.

The Neon Bible/Arcade Fire bashing in one of the other threads may be the straw that broke the camels back

.....I'm gonna go hang out on the Decemberists message board with all the other indie rock snobs

LONG LIVE GRUNGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and Zeppelin)
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    hippiemom wrote:
    Man, this is hard! I'm having a really tough time picking just one from any decade.

50s - Chuck Berry

60s - Bob Dylan

70s - Led Zeppelin

80s - U2

90s - Pearl Jam

00s - The White Stripes

I could change my mind about any of these except PJ at a moment's notice. The list of bands that are *this close* to being my #1 is long.

Wow! Mine's the same but I'd have to say Johnny Cash from the 50's. Or the King. Definitely not my era.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Matty Boy...throwing Oasis in there was far more insulting then a lot of stuff you could've picked from this decade. There's some great stuff out there, good music just doesn't get popular anymore so you have to find it.
    Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are two of the best albums of the 90's. You can rag on Oasis all you like for their arrogant personalities, but those albums are fucking classic, and far superior to any albums that have come out this decade.

I don't give a shit about post 16. I've always thought the music of my parents generation The Stones, The Doors, CCR, Zeppelin, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, The Who, Velvet Underground, The Animals, and numerous other bands was better than the music of my generation, which would be the 90's I guess.
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    50's -- Elvis
    60's -- The Doors
    70's -- Led Zeppelin
    80's -- Gun's N' Roses (It would probably really be Jane's Addiction--who started in the 80's and are one of my all-time favorites--but, they seem more like a (very) early 90's band to me. Hence, what I consider a better choice: GNR who seem to more indigenous to the 80s.)
    90's -- Pearl Jam
    00's -- Derek Trucks Band. (While he's been around since the late 90's, it was in the 2000's that he really started coming into his own. Especially with his lat 3 albums.)
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    intodeep wrote:
    50's- Miles Davis His career spans many decades and his brillance is showcased in each. I adore Kind of blue and it was born in this decade. To me he wins on that album alone (although he had many other great albums this decade to go along with it)

60's- Bob Dylan- I always liked bobs acoustic side and he did some marvolous work in this decade. Can't go Wrong with Bob

70's- Neil Young- Many great groups and heavy competition, but to me this was neil's watershed decade. Mainstream success such as Harvest and fan favorite albums such as on the beach. He was burning up inside during this time and his music showcased that.

80's- Dinosaur Jr- J, Murph, & Lou making music that i'll never forget. J melted faces at an unimaginable rate. (and still does)

90's- Pearl Jam of course. I don't think i need to explain. This decade like the 70s had many for me to choose from but i love the 90's albums.

00's-I'm changing my orginal pick for the 00's to Mastodon. These guys rock so hard i love them. I can't get enough of them. Once i see them in May it will be the 4th time i've seen them live in 9 months.

That said wilco, arcade fire, mars volta are all makeing very good music too. Perhaps in another hour i'll switch it to one of them.

You really need to listen to some White Stripes. Under Blackpool Lights, De Stijl, Elephant. Ignore the hype, it's very good !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    50s - ????? how old do you think i am? :p
    60s - ladies and gentlemen, miss janis joplin
    70s - the band
    80s - springsteen
    90s - nirvana
    00s - the drones
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ArtMarsArtMars Posts: 109
    50's- Elvis (afterall he was John Lennon's biggest musical influence)

60'- Tough choice. The Who, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Hendrix......I can't really decide. I'll just say Pink Floyd, but not by a wide margin. I mean most of their best work was in the 70's, but this is where they began! And without Syd Barrett, Roger Waters would have never had the inspiration for Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and even the Wall.

70's- Queen. Freddie Mercury is one of the greatest singers of all time and Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the greatest songs of all time. Great band all around!

80's- Iron Maiden. My favorite metal band. While just about every band was killing their hair with hairspray in the 80's, Maiden were one of the few that didn't. They just went out and played the type of music that they loved. There isn't a band in metal that deserves more respect.

90's- Pearl Jam. This one is an easy and obvious choice. Nirvana may be the band everyone talks about now, but if Kurt hadn't been murdered (I mean committed suicide...cough...cough) do any of you think Nirvana's album Nevermind would be number 2 on VH1's 100 greatest albums? Anyways, as far as the big 4 from the 90's go....I rank them: Pearl Jam, AIC, Soundgarden, and then Nirvana. Pearl Jam are easily the most diverse of the 4!

2000's- System of A Down. I didn't really have much of a choice here. Anyways, I really like this band. It's just too bad I heard they might be splitting up.
    You really need to listen to some White Stripes. Under Blackpool Lights, De Stijl, Elephant. Ignore the hype, it's very good !!
    i own de stijl, elephant, white blood cells, and get behind me satan. I have seen blackpool lights and i liked the rancontors (my baby's on the LEVEEEL)

I like Jack's work a lot. I do enjoy the other bands i listed a little more though.

Espcially Mastodon \m/
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22