'rape me' vocals

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
edited September 2006 in Other Music
these have to be some of the best vocals ever. if i remember correctly, kurt cobain sang most of the songs on 'in utero' in one day. rape me takes the cake. i especially love the parts "i'm not the only one, i i i i i'm not the only one". his vocals are so raw. i forgot how great he sounded and what a killer track this is.
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I agree, it's one of my favorite Nirvana songs. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • There is nothing wrong with Cobains singing, but to call it one of the best. I can only come to the conclusion that you listen to a lot of instrumental music.;) Great song, great album, great songwriter, OK singer.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • I love the outro where he's just wailing rape me over and over.
  • There is nothing wrong with Cobains singing, but to call it one of the best. I can only come to the conclusion that you listen to a lot of instrumental music.;) Great song, great album, great songwriter, OK singer.

maybe i over shot by a tad. sometimes when i say 'best' what i really mean is 'favorite'. but i don't think he was a great songwriter. he did write some great lyrics, but he also wrote garbage, too.
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    maybe i over shot by a tad. sometimes when i say 'best' what i really mean is 'favorite'. but i don't think he was a great songwriter. he did write some great lyrics, but he also wrote garbage, too.

I guess that goes for a lot of peole.( about some good some bad) I do think he is very very very good. I love the part LACK OF IRON AND OR SLEEPING the best.
  • I guess that goes for a lot of peole.( about some good some bad) I do think he is very very very good. I love the part LACK OF IRON AND OR SLEEPING the best.

ya, 'milk it' rocks. eerie song, too. "look on the bright side, suicide". but ya, i thought, lyrically, in utero was better than nevermind. which i think is bizarre considering that heroin was pretty much influencing him by this point.
  • Hi guys,

Couldn't help responding to this. You all have valid inputs. I beleive the late Kurt Cobain was both a great vocalist and writer.
    For me though it's about the deeper side - trying to find the hidden meanings & filling in the blanks.

This is what gives the songs a unique appeal, an individuality that we all embrace and interpret differently. It's this which gives us the ability to remember when & where we were when we first heard a song, or assign it a personnal meaning.

Heart-Shaped Box is my favourite from that particular album...

It has a fluidity to the tune, some odd lyrics, but thought provoking none-the-less.
    Providers of a place known only to the chosen.
    Where music is heard, absorbed, and recited.
    They are our teachers. Let us learn.
  • aBoxOfFear wrote:
    ya, 'milk it' rocks. eerie song, too. "look on the bright side, suicide". but ya, i thought, lyrically, in utero was better than nevermind. which i think is bizarre considering that heroin was pretty much influencing him by this point.

That could well be the reason.;)
  • MikeD wrote:
    Hi guys,

Couldn't help responding to this. You all have valid inputs. I beleive the late Kurt Cobain was both a great vocalist and writer.
    For me though it's about the deeper side - trying to find the hidden meanings & filling in the blanks.

This is what gives the songs a unique appeal, an individuality that we all embrace and interpret differently. It's this which gives us the ability to remember when & where we were when we first heard a song, or assign it a personnal meaning.

Heart-Shaped Box is my favourite from that particular album...

It has a fluidity to the tune, some odd lyrics, but thought provoking none-the-less.

Sure the best thing about lyrics is that it can mean different things to different people.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    have you heard the demo version on 'with the lights out' where you can hear frances crying. that kinda throws me. i love singing this song. it's a good early in the mornig song cause your throat is still raw from sleep.but i agree, this is one of his better vocal performances. especially when he sings, 'do it and do it again' and the 'rape me, rape me.....' at the end. i imagine a lot of people hear the title of the song and the only other thing they hear is kurt saying 'rape me' and dismiss it at that without going into or even bothering to listen to the lyrics.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say