Your favorite beatles period?

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Early beatles (please please me - rubber soul) psychedelic beatles (revolver - magical mystery tour) the end (white album - abbey road)
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• early
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Uh, this is hard. Revolver & Rubber Soul are my two favorite Beatles albums, but I'd have to go with their later period because it's the most solid (White Album, Let It Be, Abbey Road). If Revolver/Rubber Soul were put into the same period, then I'd go with that.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    For me, from Revolver to White Album. That time frame is like a transgression from Great to Classic to Genius.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The End.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • psychedelic beatles (revolver - magical mystery tour)
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I think Rubber Soul belongs in the same category as Revolver. They are practically part 1 and part 2.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrog wrote:
    I think Rubber Soul belongs in the same category as Revolver. They are practically part 1 and part 2.
    agreed. and those 2 need their own period. Thats probably my favorite.
    I love all Beatles though:D
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i love the early pop, love the psychadelic and how you could you not like the end?

depends on the mood, but the most listened to for me would be the psychadelic for sure. magicaly mystery tour is soo flippin good.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    It's a lot like PJ for me. Love them all. Can't pick a favorite. It's evolution baby, of great bands. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • yeah, definitely hard to choose

but I would go with the prolific White Album period, heavy on the George Harrison stuff
    hate was just a legend
    i love the early pop, love the psychadelic and how you could you not like the end?

depends on the mood, but the most listened to for me would be the psychadelic for sure. magicaly mystery tour is soo flippin good.

MMT is easily their most underrated album. Whenever you see a 'greatest albums ever' list, every album from Rubber Soul through Abbey Road makes it on the list, but invariably MMT is left off.
  • cutback wrote:
    For me, from Revolver to White Album. That time frame is like a transgression from Great to Classic to Genius.
    ^^^
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I like everything except the early stuff. Psychedelic would be my favourite though.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Rubber Soul ('65) through White Album ('68) would be my favorite period
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i second that, rubber soul forward. but all their phases were awesome.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    easily white album to abbey road without any problems!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • BinFrog wrote:

ya, even george harrison thought these were like volumes 1 and 2, but i think they're completely different. i don't hear what's so common about them. but ya, i wasn't quite sure how to break the periods up, but i don't consider rubber soul "early beatles". it should have went something like this:

early beatles(please please me - a hard day's night)
    maturing (beatles for sale, help!, rubber soul)
    phychedelic beatles (revolver, sgt. peppers, MMT)
    the end(white album, let it be, abbey road)

in my opinion, although rubber soul and revolver were only about 8 months apart, there's a huge difference. it was quite a giant leap from nowhere man to eleanor rigby; run for your life to tomorrow never knows. i think revolver and sgt. pepper are more alike than rubber soul/revolver. but hey, to each his/her own. ; )
  • tybird wrote:
    "...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

Uh.. is that true?

Yes, Chris. In my experience, it is. I find, the more you give, the more you get.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I think I got to say from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road...anyway, it´s very interesting to see and listen to all of their records and see the evolution...
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Beatles suck
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    Uh.. is that true?

Yes, Chris. In my experience, it is. I find, the more you give, the more you get.

PBM

Eh, umm, Remember when you were with The Beatles?
  • lars wrote:
    Beatles suck

thanks for the tip, lars.
  • GillGill Posts: 56
    Its a pretty tough question! Their early stuff is great but too poppy for my liking. Revolver and Let It Be are my favourite albums of theirs (i got White Album today, actually, and was kinda disappointed - it has a few classics, but some really weird ones too...)...in that case...probably...mid-late? Does that count? For me, it's before and after Rubber Soul as to whether i prefer the music...definitely after...

...that doesnt really answer the question, does it?
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I agree with the person who said "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" belong in the same period. Those are my two favorite, with Abbey Road coming in at third