The National live

waves roll inwaves roll in Posts: 159
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I see the National are playing right by where I live on Sunday and was wondering if they are worth seeing live. I have only heard the Boxer album but that it was very good. I wish I was going to Pearl Jam that night in DC but I am too strapped for cash. Will the National be a good consolation?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Holy fuck yes they are awesome live. Better live band than studio band, IMO. Their songs are taken to another level.

GO GO GO
  • Haha, I'm considering making the trip to see them on Sunday too, cause I can't afford the long trip to DC for Pearl Jam.

I'd say they are definitely worth it. Tickets are only $15 I think. I've seen them twice before, and they put on a very good show. They really rocked it at Langerado, Matt even came into the crowd during Mr. November and I got to touch him! Plus I got a setlist!

Go for it, you won't regret it. If you decide to go though, try and get your hands on their album Alligator today or tomorrow morning lol. Its the album before Boxer, has a bit more rockers, and the band's setlists are pretty much all Boxer/Alligator material.

And PS Squalor Victoria rocks live.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    GREAT GREAT LIVE BAND. I've seen them 4 times now and they will not disappoint at all. Do yourself a favor and pick up Alligator to compliment Boxer.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I really like the National, but they were pretty mediocre when I saw them live. They seemed amateurish and didn't have a lot of stage presence. They have some songs with good buildups and stuff but they couldn't translate it very well live. Worth seeing if you like the music and the price is right, but don't expect a great live rock show or anything.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I've seen them as the opening act and as the headliner. As an opener they are decent, but playing in front of a half-empty crowd with only a fraction of the people who are there paying attention is always tough. The music was pretty good, but they weren't too exciting to watch and they didn't do much between songs.

As the headliner they were great, they had total control of the audience, they were very talkative between songs and the music was spot-on all night.

I'd definitely see them again as a headliner, and if they were opening for a band I liked I would consider it a bonus because teh music is good, but it isn't nearly as good of an experience as when they are headlining a small venue.
  • Awesome. Thanks guys. Looks like I will be seeing them tonight then and am about to go pick up Alligator. Still wish I was seeing PJ but I think this will be fun and my wallet will be a little happier. Thanks again!