Godfather II Albums

mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Many movie critics have agreed that Godfather II is better than Godfather I. To do the opposite of another thread that is open right now, name some sophomore albums that are better than a groups debut. Also, feel free to include later albums as well that are better than debuts. Here are a few, IMO to get things rolling with more of mine to be added later:

Pearl Jam: Vs. amongst others is better than Ten

Black Crowes: Southern Harmony easily better than SYMM

RATM: Evil Empire slightly better than self titled

Beatles: Second Half of their career over first half

How about youse?
"The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    off the top of my head:

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People (WAY better than Feel Good Lost)
    Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (slightly better than Funeral)
    the Decemberists - Picaresque (WAY better than Her Majesty)
    Spiritualized - Pure Phase (better than Lazer Guided Melodies)
    Slowdive - Souvlaki (WAY better than Just For A Day)
    Sloan - Twice Removed (WAY better than Smeared)
    Nirvana - In Utero (better than Nevermind)
    Alice in Chains - Dirt (WAY better than Facelift)
    Rheostatics - Melville (WAY better than Greatest Hits)
    Radiohead - the Bends (WAY better than Pablo Honey)
    Tool - Aenima (better than Undertow)
    Faith No More - Angel Dust (WAY better than the Real Thing - Mike Patton era FNM)
    Mr Bungle - Disco Volante (better than s/t)
    the Dandy Warhols - Come Down (better than Dandy's Rule OK)
    Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (slightly better than Slanted and Enchanted)
    Janes Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual (better than Nothings Shocking)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    not counting Opiate since it is an EP, what about Aenima over Undertow
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Pearl Jam: Vs. amongst others is better than Ten

Black Crowes: Southern Harmony easily better than SYMM

RATM: Evil Empire slightly better than self titled

Beatles: Second Half of their career over first half

How about youse?

I agree with all of yours besides RATM...I think I'm a bit more partial to the first one myself.

Bruce Springsteen-Wild Innocent, & E Street Shuffle was far better than Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ in my opinion. Of course then came Born to Run and that's my all time favorite.

Kings of Leon-Aha Shake Heartbreak blew Y & YMH away

Oasis-What's the Story Morning Glory..prefer it to Definitely Maybe

Strokes-Room On Fire...most will disagree with me on this, but I think it's way better than Is This It?

Radiohead-The Bends..this is one of those follow ups where it's like something in the band suddenly just CLICKED...above and beyond their first album and still my favorite Radiohead album

The Verve-A Northern Soul..better than A Storm In Heaven though it does sort of depend on what mood I'm in. Urban Hymns is easily their best though.

Blur-I'm not sure which album was their second, but whatever it was (I think it was Modern Life is Rubbish) it was far better than Leisure

Gorillaz-Demon Days...much more fully realized and organized than the first album...first had some great songs but this one just blew me away

Arcade Fire-Love Neon Bible while Funeral is half great, half not so great

Oh and about Nirvana, In Utero was their THIRD album, Nevermind was their SECOND, and Bleach was their first. I'm not a huge fan anymore but I'd say Nevermind is definitely better than Bleach.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    ones that haven't been named already:

Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me better than Dinosaur

Stooges - Fun House better than self-titled

Hendrix - as great as Are You Experienced is, I'd say Axis: Bold As Love is even better

Black Sabbath - Paranoid better than self titled (although their first album is also great)

Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind better than Welcome to the Cruel Wrold
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream... Gish was good...but Dream was solid from start to finish... and still my favorite Pumpkins record.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    The Band "The Band" is better than "Music From Big Pink"

and

Neutral Milk Hotel "In The Aeroplane Over the Sea" is better than "On Avery Island"
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • DR.PJ.MTLDR.PJ.MTL Posts: 37
    Led Zep 4 many consider better than the debut, still not sure how I feel though...

What was Floyd's debut? Umma Gumma or some shit? Naturally Dark Side, The Wall, Animals etc... were all better.

I agree with Vs, still my favorite PJ album but I also like Vitalogy more than Ten.
    "Women, can't live with'm....pass the beer nuts" - Norman Peterson
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    I disagree with Floyd, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" will always be their masterpiece to me
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,137
    Soundgarden: Louder Than Love is better than Ultramega OK -- Superunknown is their best work imo though

agree with Alice In Chains (Dirt > Facelift) and Nirvana (Nevermind > Bleach)

REM: Automatic for the People and Out of Time -- both are better than any album REM released in the 80s imo (since we're counting later albums as well)

probably lots of others

When you think about it though, don't you want a band to keep producing better and better albums? If they peak with their debut, it's kind of hard to stay together and have a good career.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    DR.PJ.MTL wrote:
    Led Zep 4 many consider better than the debut, still not sure how I feel though...

What was Floyd's debut? Umma Gumma or some shit? Naturally Dark Side, The Wall, Animals etc... were all better.

I agree with Vs, still my favorite PJ album but I also like Vitalogy more than Ten.

I started to list Zeppelin, but I decided that the first six Zep albums all rank about equally for me, depending on the mood I'm in.

And FLoyd's first album, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, really shouldn't be compared to their later work, because Syd Barret was their leader on that album, and their sound changed pretty drastically after he left. It's almost a different band.