Hate for Nirvana, Love for Ramones

PresIntensePresIntense Posts: 33
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Why is it that so very many of us (you), despise Nirvana, one of the truly groundbreaking, and innovative bands of the late '80s and early '90s, yet trip all over yourselves in praise of the Ramones. I am wondering if this is a personal choice or just because you feel this is how Ed, the spokesman? feels. If you have made these choices on your own, then I truly repect that, but if you listen to or refuse to listen to a certain band because you think that is what Ed, Stone, Mike, Jeff, or any number of drummers listens to or doesn't, then I weep for you. Dare I even mention Creed, apparently this is one of Mr. Carlin's unmentionable words. If you like The Carpenters, Abba, Bread, ..., say so. Be yourself. Remember, "I am Mine".
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Ed praises Nirvana also.
    I miss igotid88
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I like Bread. (I really do!) But I'm not that into Meatloaf;)
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Why is it that so very many of us (you), despise Nirvana, one of the truly groundbreaking, and innovative bands of the late '80s and early '90s
    they were neither groundbreaking nor innovative, nirvana just made grunge more pop-ish. i discovered the ramones at an early age
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I don't really sense a hate of Nirvana on this board, not the music anyway. I sense a loyalty when it comes to the old PJ VS Nirvana question, but I haven't sensed a hate.

Also, I don't sense a great big love for the Ramones. Maybe an appreciation. I'm probably just projecting on that one :D
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I'm not a big fan of Nirvana, but I think they have a few very good songs. I just got sick of them really.
    The Ramones....I never understood the attraction. A while back a bought a 3 disc set of their stuff, and it's pretty much the same song over and over again about 70 times. They are one of the most boring bands I've ever heard.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • ReleaseMe...ReleaseMe... Posts: 494
    for me, its not the feeling that we have to try to love or hate another band because of pearl jam. however, when Ed or anyone else mentions that a group was responsible for "helping him stay alive"....i have to take a listen to that band for myself. before he inducted REM, did any of us have any idea how powerful they were to him? the way he spoke about them, i really felt the urge to check out songs in their cataloge that i have never heard. he is not going to make me turn REM into my second favorite band or anything......but when the person/group who is responsible for ME "staying alive" says the same thing about another group, it really makes you want to get involved with their music, almost as a gratitude thing

i dont know, it seems hard to put into words
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I hate to bring negativity to the forum, but i freely admit that i hate Nirvana. I understand that they were at the right place at the right time and everything was in line for them to bring grunge to the mainstream. But there's two things really....i think the music is so very dull and tedious to listen to, and i can't believe it was Nirvana who made grunge famous. Kurt Cobain for the most part seemed like a bit of a tool in interviews, and there really was nothing special about the music. It was simple, boring and Kurt's voice drives me nuts.

I understand that if Nirvana hadn't broken into the mainstream then PJ may not have become popular, so for that i'm glad. But i don't think i'll ever understand how people can talk about their music being innovative and amazing. It's just dull.

Sorry, negativity over!

As far as Ramones go, their music makes me wanna dance!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    nirvana blows
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    for me, its not the feeling that we have to try to love or hate another band because of pearl jam. however, when Ed or anyone else mentions that a group was responsible for "helping him stay alive"....i have to take a listen to that band for myself. before he inducted REM, did any of us have any idea how powerful they were to him? the way he spoke about them, i really felt the urge to check out songs in their cataloge that i have never heard. he is not going to make me turn REM into my second favorite band or anything......but when the person/group who is responsible for ME "staying alive" says the same thing about another group, it really makes you want to get involved with their music, almost as a gratitude thing

i dont know, it seems hard to put into words

and by the same token if Ed had said "rem are shit and make me want to poke my eyes out with blunt cocktail sticks" then you would probably never have listened to them.

as for the original question.... its just symptomatic of PJ fan(atics)... they worship everything the band says or does... If Ed thought we were all like his little sheep he'd be aghast methinks.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • mrmojorisincamrmojorisinca Posts: 174
    why would you think Ed or the band would see them in that light? where are you getting your shitting information from?
    FUCK! if you only hear what you wanna hear...
    http://www.myspace.com/mrmojorisinca
  • UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,383
    Im a big fan of Nirvana as well...No hate here

Lounge Act best Nirvana song
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Not a big fan of either.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I by no means hate nirvana, but I just don't see them as so innovative and groundbreaking. A lot of bands were playing the same sort of music as nirvana before they made it big, but they just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I just can't understand why anyone would love or hate a band (or anything else), just because someone else did. Granted their are bands that I've never heard of before that Pearl Jam in one way or another introduced me too, but that by no means made me like them, but more so just made me give them a shot. it's no different than if a friend with similar tastes recommends a band or a movie to you, it will make you more likely to check it out, but it doesn't mean that you will like it.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • I'm not much of a fan of either.
  • The Ramones....I never understood the attraction. A while back a bought a 3 disc set of their stuff, and it's pretty much the same song over and over again about 70 times. They are one of the most boring bands I've ever heard.

Yep, when I heard PJ were covering "I Believe In Miracles", I thought they were going to do the song by Hot Chocolate that was around in the '70s. That might have been fun, in a quirky way. Instead, they did that dirgy old durr-nurr-nurr Ramones thing, with its throwaway essentialist platitudes.

They really should have done this, instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2Mbov1okU
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    dunkman wrote:
    as for the original question.... its just symptomatic of PJ fan(atics)... they worship everything the band says or does... If Ed thought we were all like his little sheep he'd be aghast methinks.

well said...
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Love me sum NiRvAnA
  • Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    Nirvana is amazing!!!!!!!
    What is Ramones????...
    I can heard his voice.
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman
  • NothingbetterNothingbetter Posts: 570
    I don't hate them, but feel they are overhyped and overrated. Just my personal feeling. They get all the love, yet Pearl Jam is a band with MUCH more depth.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I think some of the hard feeling towards from Nirvana simply stem from people not really being impressed with those old records anymore. People grow out of things and tend to try and distance themselves from theose things.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I hate to bring negativity to the forum, but i freely admit that i hate Nirvana. I understand that they were at the right place at the right time and everything was in line for them to bring grunge to the mainstream. But there's two things really....i think the music is so very dull and tedious to listen to, and i can't believe it was Nirvana who made grunge famous. Kurt Cobain for the most part seemed like a bit of a tool in interviews, and there really was nothing special about the music. It was simple, boring and Kurt's voice drives me nuts.

I understand that if Nirvana hadn't broken into the mainstream then PJ may not have become popular, so for that i'm glad. But i don't think i'll ever understand how people can talk about their music being innovative and amazing. It's just dull.

Sorry, negativity over!

As far as Ramones go, their music makes me wanna dance!

I totally agree with you that they were not innovative. They were modern punk. Kinda an updated version of punk.

Modern Punk is not Green Day, Blink 182, etc.

I will always love Nirvana.

*Had to edit* By the way, I will always love The Ramones too.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive