Allman Bros. Question

MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
edited April 2007 in Other Music
So I saw them at the Beacon Theater last night. I'm a casual fan - I really just know the hits and whatever is on The Road Goes on Forever collection. I only knew 1 song that they played last night - Dreams. Well they played Manic Depression and Dazed and Confused, which was awesome. I love guitar solos as much as anyone, but the show was basically one long jam session, which got boring after awhile - I just wanted to finally hear Whipping Post or Midnight Rider or something. Amazing musicians, but just an overall disappointing experience for me, since it was my 1 time seeing the Allman Bros.

I'm looking at some of the recent setlists, and it looks like they played more hits. So maybe it was more of a "rarities" night. Can any hardcore Allman fans weigh in on this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    they were were waaaaay better back when duanne allman was playing ,
    plus i dont even think betts is with the band now?
    anyway,if you could have seen them when it was"live at the fillmore"
    it was quite an ..experience.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • I'm a casual fan like you, but I have seen them a bunch of times at the Beacon over the years (although not since Dickie Betts left the band) - i've been to shows where I have only known one or two songs also, but I have also been to Beacon shows where they do play their hits. I guess that over the course of the month that they play there, they mix it up by show a lot, so you never know what you will get. You'd hope to at least get Whipping Post or something....

I've also seen the Dickie Betts Band a few times - very good, great guitar and he plays a bunch of his Allman hits.
    coming up

MSG 1
    Ringo the next night in Boston
    Hartford
    Boston 1 & 2

hell's yeah...
    if dicky betts isnt even playing with,they arent even the allman bros.
    listen to live at the fillmore,and what they play now.....quite a difference
  • I saw them last September and was disapointed as well. My ticket was free and it was still a great show (and they played Mellissa) but Moe. upstaged the fuck out of them. They just don't have any energy.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Did you see the 2 ladies sitting next to the stage that won the contest?
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    laudenum wrote:

I AGREE 1000%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • MKTerp wrote:
    the show was basically one long jam session

That's what their shows have always been. There's never long setlists, because often the songs are stretched into 10-20 minute improvs. And they've never been worried about catering to the casual fan with their hits...not that there's anything wrong with being a casual fan...but the concerts aren't designed for them.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    pjny wrote:
    That's what their shows have always been. There's never long setlists, because often the songs are stretched into 10-20 minute improvs. And they've never been worried about catering to the casual fan with their hits...not that there's anything wrong with being a casual fan...but the concerts aren't designed for them.

Yeah I respect that. It's like the casual fans that get pissed when PJ doesn't play Betterman or Alive. But PJ always plays some songs that everyone will recognize. It was just a frustrating experience since it was the only time I got to see Allman Bros...
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    laudenum wrote:

I strongly disagree with this. I love Betts as much as any Allman Bros. fan, but the guitar lineup now is frankly the best it's been since the original Duane/Dickey combo. Live at the Fillmore is a classic, one of the greatest records of all time, but the band is still making great music. Of course there is a difference in the sound, it would be sad if they just brought in new people to replicate the sound of the original players. I applaud them for letting their sound evolve. Don't get me wrong, though, they still sound like the Allman Brothers, just a slightly different Allman Bros.

I think the people complaining that the current lineup isn't the same and that they aren't the Allman Bros. without Dickey Betts are just living in the past. Anyone who says Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks don't hold up to Betts and whoever else they had on second guitar at the time (post-Duane) just hasn't listened to the current lineup in my opinion. Trucks and Haynes are two of the best players out there. I've seen this lineup several times and they've always been mind blowing.

To try to be somewhat on topic, whenever I've seen them (5 or 6 times) they've always played a fair amount of hits, but I've never seen them at the Beacon. I would guess that because they do a series of shows at the Beacon, they try to mix it up and not just play the hits every night.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I saw Derek Trucks with Clapton, he outplayed him.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MKTerp wrote:
    So I saw them at the Beacon Theater last night. I'm a casual fan - I really just know the hits and whatever is on The Road Goes on Forever collection. I only knew 1 song that they played last night - Dreams. Well they played Manic Depression and Dazed and Confused, which was awesome. I love guitar solos as much as anyone, but the show was basically one long jam session, which got boring after awhile - I just wanted to finally hear Whipping Post or Midnight Rider or something. Amazing musicians, but just an overall disappointing experience for me, since it was my 1 time seeing the Allman Bros.

I'm looking at some of the recent setlists, and it looks like they played more hits. So maybe it was more of a "rarities" night. Can any hardcore Allman fans weigh in on this?

wow they covered hendrix and the mighty zepplin! thats a mighty cool show u saw!

u saw one of the last few shows at the becon theatre before the remodelling takes place. the beacon theatre is one of my fave places to see any band. the atmosphere is rich, and thick, and it will never be the same. the allmans have been doing the march beacon run for as long as i can remember and they have played some downright magical shows there in the month of march

i suppose u gotta like drums to furthur enjoy the show...they have a hell of a drum beat in there, amongst alla those loud geetars ;)

u should take some time and discover the talents of warren haynes and derek trucks, cause they are 2 of the best guitar players in the world right now

anyways its like a 2week run of shows and you saw 1 show...they try to mix it up, just like pearl jam do!
  • MKTerp wrote:

They've been pretty crap ever since Duane Allman died. Anything with him is awesome, and the stuff without him is hit or miss. And now they're not even worth seeing.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    laudenum wrote:
    they were were waaaaay better back when duanne allman was playing ,
    plus i dont even think betts is with the band now?
    anyway,if you could have seen them when it was"live at the fillmore"
    it was quite an ..experience.

i agree. they kicked out betts but still play his songs as far as i know..
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • They've been pretty crap ever since Duane Allman died. Anything with him is awesome, and the stuff without him is hit or miss. And now they're not even worth seeing.

did you even listen to/buy hittin the note?

do you even know who derek trucks is?

how about warren haynes?

hmmmft !!!
    did you even listen to/buy hittin the note?

how about warren haynes?

hmmmft !!!

Exactly. The haters obviously have no idea what the band is like now.

I don't think they play Betts's songs any more. At least they haven't when I've seen them.
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    Exactly. The haters obviously have no idea what the band is like now.

I don't think they play Betts's songs any more. At least they haven't when I've seen them.

ya it's always funny to me to see comments like "ya they ain't no good with dickey or duane anymore" lmao...it's pretty obvious, at least to me that the band is currently firing on all cylinders...that is not to say dickey and duane aren't amazing, but, between warren and derek they really have a lot going for them, these dayz

i'm almost positive the current line up does liz reed and um jessica, but for sure they ain't doing ramblin man! lol
    ya it's always funny to me to see comments like "ya they ain't no good with dickey or duane anymore" lmao...it's pretty obvious, at least to me that the band is currently firing on all cylinders...that is not to say dickey and duane aren't amazing, but, between warren and derek they really have a lot going for them, these dayz

i'm almost positive the current line up does liz reed and um jessica, but for sure they ain't doing ramblin man! lol
    did u see the original line up?
    what is your basis for comparisson?
  • laudenum wrote:

um no i didnt see duane play live and i really don't have to see anyone live(original or new line up) to be able to form an opinion

it's all in the tapes, man

i've seen dickey play in the band many times though, if that counts for anything...as much as i love dickey's tone, warren has got him beat by a mile...and well um derek is well um...fucking amazing!!!
    laudenum wrote:

I never saw the original lineup, but I've heard plenty of shows. I don't think anyone here is arguing that Duane was anything less than amazing. He is one of the best guitarists of all time, and it's true the band will never be the same without him.

That doesn't mean that the current lineup doesn't kick a lot of ass, though. I don't see how anyone can claim that Derek and Warren aren't worth listeneing to. They are awesome. Both lineups are great and I don't see why fans can't enjoy both without disparaiging one or the other.
  • did you even listen to/buy hittin the note?

how about warren haynes?

hmmmft !!!
    I don't care how good Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes are, I don't want to see another wankfest between those two.