QOSTA and Kings of Leon

gossardstradlingossardstradlin Posts: 324
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Heard some really great things about these two bands on this board. Think I am going to check them out next time I am in a music store. Suggestions about albums to try? Sorry about the missplaced letter in Queens of the Stone Age. :)
"She knows there is no success like failure
And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I don't know Kings of Leon but for Queens I would recommend Songs For The Deaf to start with. It's their most accessible album and if you can get into it you're more likely to get into the rest of their stuff.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I love both bands, seen them live a few times as well.

Im not sure what other people think are the best qotsa albums but mine is definitely the self titled one, fantsatic album from start to finish. Rated R is excellent too, and i dont mind Songs for the deaf. Not quite as keen on the newest album to be honest.

KOL are great too, havent heard the newest album but Youth and Youngmanhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak are both excellent.

If i was buying one from each id buy the self titled qotsa and KOL's youth and youngmanhood.

Still waiting to hear the new KOL album but i love the new single, and one of my friends has heard the album and says its really good. Definitely two of my favourite bands in the last 10 years or so.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Heard some really great things about these two bands on this board. Think I am going to check them out next time I am in a music store. Suggestions about albums to try? Sorry about the missplaced letter in Queens of the Stone Age. :)

Songs for the Deaf for QOTSA. That album has a life of its own.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    Not that i think they are a bad band now, but i think they have got progressively worse with each album.

Songs for the deaf is a decent album, but has nothing onm self titled or rated r in my opinion.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Yeah no way in hell you start with Songs For The Deaf. Go with S/T or Rated R. Both of those cd's kill. Songs For The Deaf has lots of throwaways, and I'm a huge, huge Queens fan. Every song Nick sings on is bad.

As for Kings of Leon, start with the new one. I don't think they've released a terrible song in their careers. The new album is a monster. Or Aha Shake Heartbreak, that is a monster too.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    kol, the new one is the best imo.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Dick Jones wrote:
    Songs For The Deaf has lots of throwaways, and I'm a huge, huge Queens fan. Every song Nick sings on is bad.

Rated R is my favorite.

Plus Nick has a good vocal on that one. "Auto Pilot"
    NERDS!
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    If you like a LOT of bass, start with the Self-titled... if you like the way N. Oliveri sings then get "...Deaf". Otherwise R is the one for ya.
  • self-titled and rated r for the queens

because of the times for the kings
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • If you thought the first two KOL records were great you better get Because of the Times pronto. It easily trumps anything they've ever done by a longshot.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I understand that some of you are Queens fans already, as I am, but the fact is if you're going to start with any one of their albums Songs For The Deaf is the best place. They have an allstar lineup with Josh Homme (No One Knows), Nick Oliveri (You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar, But I Feel Like A Millionaire), and Mark Lanegan (Hanging Tree) sharing vocals and Dave Grohl on drums. It doesn't get any better than that. The Self titled has some throwaways too (Walking on the Sidewalks and You Would Know are each about two minutes too long) and though Rated R is my favourite Queens CD I feel it takes some growing into. Lullabies to Paralyze is definitely not the place to start with them. Go with Songs for the Deaf and if you enjoy it give Rated R a try.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
    gleemonex wrote:
    I understand that some of you are Queens fans already, as I am, but the fact is if you're going to start with any one of their albums Songs For The Deaf is the best place. They have an allstar lineup with Josh Homme (No One Knows), Nick Oliveri (You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar, But I Feel Like A Millionaire), and Mark Lanegan (Hanging Tree) sharing vocals and Dave Grohl on drums. It doesn't get any better than that. The Self titled has some throwaways too (Walking on the Sidewalks and You Would Know are each about two minutes too long) and though Rated R is my favourite Queens CD I feel it takes some growing into. Lullabies to Paralyze is definitely not the place to start with them. Go with Songs for the Deaf and if you enjoy it give Rated R a try.

"but the fact is if you're going to start with any one of their albums Songs For The Deaf is the best place"

That's not a fact, that's your opinon.

My personal opinion is that if you hadnt heard any of the albums before, Rated R or the Self Titled are just as easy to get into. I also feel that there are no throwaways on the self titled, wheras Songs for the Deaf has a few songs that i would describe as mediocre compared with their earlier albums.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    OP: It's not really important which album you start with, as long as it's not Lullabies. The other three really are equally great.
  • stu gee wrote:
    "but the fact is if you're going to start with any one of their albums Songs For The Deaf is the best place"

That's not a fact, that's your opinon.

My personal opinion is that if you hadnt heard any of the albums before, Rated R or the Self Titled are just as easy to get into. I also feel that there are no throwaways on the self titled, wheras Songs for the Deaf has a few songs that i would describe as mediocre compared with their earlier albums.

i'm with you. i hardly ever listen to songs for the deaf or lullabies. they both seemed like a step down from the 1st 2.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Rated R is my favorite.

Plus Nick has a good vocal on that one. "Auto Pilot"

Auto Pilot is awesome. I just meant the songs on SFTD.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    MCG wrote:
    Songs for the Deaf for QOTSA. That album has a life of its own.

it's a saga. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Dick Jones wrote:
    Auto Pilot is awesome. I just meant the songs on SFTD.

I figured as much. I had to argue with a friend of mine that Nick actually sang Auto Pilot.

I think the biggest piece missing from Lullabies was Nick's presence.
    NERDS!
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    rated R qotsa and youth and young manhood kol
  • youth and young manhood kol
    Aha Shake Heartbeat is twice as good as Youth and Young Manhood, and Because of the Times is fifty times better than Aha Shake. ..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Aha Shake Heartbeat is twice as good as Youth and Young Manhood, and Because of the Times is fifty times better than Aha Shake. ..
    i haven't heard much of because of the times yet, but i like the folky kind of stuff, so i like the first one better. aha shake is good for a party though.