Raine Maida - The Hunters Lullaby

One Song GloryOne Song Glory Posts: 710
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I bought Raine's new CD today not expecting much. Hadn't heard any of the EP songs that have been floating around, haven't cared to. I used to love Our Lady Peace, up until Gravity. There were a couple songs I liked for a little while off that album, but they sounded like they were getting too pop-rock for my tastes, evolving in a direction that didn't suit who I thought they were, which disappointed me because I always felt that Raine and company had something special.

Today I picked up his solo album hot off the press, for what reason I don't know. I've pretty much ignored Our Lady Peace for the past few years and have had no desire to listen to anything new. I knew this was supposedly just him on an acoustic with his wife Chantal Kreviazuk on piano (I LOVE her by the way! I have the utmost respect for a woman who writes all her own music, plays the piano brilliantly, has a voice like no other, and is completely down-to-earth but can actually make it in today's music scene alongside all the slutty hip-hop stars). It is a BEAUTIFUL concept album, a true work of art. This is exactly what I was waiting for from such a brilliant artist!

If you're expecting Our Lady Peace, the only similarity is Raine's striking voice, which I've always liked. It is stripped of electric instruments and there is a lot of spoken word experimentation. The lyrics are haunting and a very angry call to arms for today's society. He lashes out at our consumer culture, the politics of today's world, the environmental issues, the attitudes young people are bringing to the table, and it's filled with nostalgia. This is a very intelligent album, and I'm eager to see how successful it is because it is so radical, not only in its political connotations, but in its experimental style. Raine was busking the streets of Toronto for charity last week, made $20,000 or something like that, which was a brilliant way to get his material out there and an ingenius idea for an artist to make use of his hometown to further help out various causes he is so adamantly active about.

This is HIGHLY recommended to anyone who has ever listened to Our Lady Peace or can appreciate extremely experimental "rock" with a strong, moving, and at times quite terrifying message.
2003: Toronto
2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
2006: Toronto 1 & 2
2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
2010: Buffalo
2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
2016: Toronto 1 & 2
2022: Hamilton/Toronto
2023: EV Seattle 1&2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have a signed copy on order, it's gonna take a couple of weeks to get to the UK though, I can't wait! Yellow Brick Road is a really cool song. Glad to hear the rest of the album is good too.
  • SpunkieSpunkie Posts: 6,465
    I caught Raine Maida at the Commodore show last night. What a brilliant group of artists performing together. *Sighs a thank-God for good music sigh*

He talked about a one song in particular that his website will feature soon. This song is about a reformed man, in over his head. He comes from a town of 4000 near the Mexican border, that is flooded with drugs. Very chilling.

Raine's vocals and music is haunting, nearly operatic. He performed with his equally talented pianist/background vocalist wife, who honoured us with a "Pixie" piece. Billy Talent was also covered.

If a good ensembles equals Nirvana, I went home.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    good album, great lyrics
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • SpunkieSpunkie Posts: 6,465
    Maida covered Neil Young last night and got the crowd to sing along!