Operation Disc Drop

One Song GloryOne Song Glory Posts: 710
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I'm assuming many of you don't know about this phenomenon, it's been going around for a little while. The idea was cooked up on the Canadian show, The Hour, and although it's hardly a new one, it's been quite successful so far. The premise of Operation Disc Drop is a sort of 'pay it forward' thing with music. You make a CD (or 2 or 3 or more! :D) of some of your favourite songs and leave it somewhere in a public place where it should be found easily enough. Somewhere on the CD or insert, you write the title and website (Operation Disc Drop: cbc.ca/thehour), as well as whatever "Free! Take Me!" or personal messages you want. Then you can go onto their site and write up a blog-type post of what your CD entails and where it was left, so if whoever finds it and likes it wants to check it out, they can find your post and leave feedback. They can either keep it for themselves or listen and continue passing it on, and are encouraged to make their own CDs. I think it's a great idea and I finished my first compliation today. Don't know where I'm going to leave it yet, somewhere in the Byward Market in Ottawa anyway, and I really hope someone will give this music a chance. I tried to keep the Pearl Jam to a minimum, mostly because I don't think too many people would listen to an entire random CD of Pearl Jam unless they already knew and liked them. Anyway, I made my tracklist so that some songs are fairly well known and some are more obscure, to keep whoever finds it listening all the way through, but I personally love every song on it! :D

So here's mine:

1) Given to Fly -- Pearl Jam
2) Spoonman -- Soundgarden
3) The Great Beyond -- REM
4) Stranger Things Have Happened -- Foo Fighters
5) Lithium -- Nirvana
6) I Am the Highway -- Audioslave
7) Title and Registration -- Death Cab For Cutie
8) Society -- Eddie Vedder
9) Yellow Brick Road -- Raine Maida
10) Everlong -- Foo Fighters
11) Leave -- Glen Hansard