The Garden's Ambiance, Bon Jovi, Communisim, and musical snobs

MILKwasAbadChoiceMILKwasAbadChoice Posts: 285
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Alright so I got dragged to the bon jovi show this monday at the garden. my girlfriend is a big fan so i got her tickets for the birthday. i honestly can't go to a concert without knowing most of the songs, so i went to the bon jovi website and learned the set lists and just listened to those songs.

1) People are very biased on here. While I wouldn't listen to him consistently he puts on an amazing sings along. The entire show was a sing along for every song, even if it was just mostly Cougars belting out the words. But i was thinking that maybe some music can't be that bad if it actually does hit so many people in different ways. maybe it was all old women, (and some hot younger ones) singing, but the music did reach them.

2) The garden just magnifies any show. their is just a buzz with concerts there. we know it. i know it. i have seen tons of bands their including pearl jam, incubus,brand new, dashboard, o.a.r., and hell even my chemical romance. all of their shows are magnified tenfold. don't hate on my liking of MCR, i saw them at a frat house 6 years in New brunswick at Rutgers. they are good guys. and did work to get big, and are not just a hot topic band, so whatever. Back to the garden though, i know it may sound gay, but living on the prayer, the entire garden was shaking. walls, ceiling, etc. i have seen PJ 5 times there, but this was still the loudest singalong i have ever heard there.

3) musical snobs/communism? just thought it would be interesting to put in the title. it really has nothing to do with my topic. just want to suggest to people that if you can see any band live just do it. its better than school, its better than work. have a few beers, in my case many, and enjoy your night and life. open your mind to many things, and don't be musical snobs. life is to short to be complaining and telling other people that the music they listen to is crap.

Have a great end of the week.
ron burgandy
98- 9/8.9/10.9/11
00- 8/3, 8/4, 9/1.9/2
03- 4/28. 7/8. 7/9. 7/14
04- 10/1
05- 10/3
06- 5/4!!!!, 5/12. 5/13. 5/27, 5/28, 6/1, 6/3
08- 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/25, 6/27, 8/4
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Good Post.

As someone that will listen to the 2000 Pearl Jam Katowice boot then pop in Kanye West's "Graduation" right afterwards, I'll agree with you.

There's plenty of quality music out there, as long as you're not afraid to enjoy it.
    NERDS!
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    you're right. i agree. gay.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Hi, my name is release30 and I listen to Supertramp..On 8-track none the less.....
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Bon Jovi is a good band. I really dig their positive energy. I've never seen them live, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it. And I'm a straight 20 year old male. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    Bon Jovi is a good band. I really dig their positive energy. I've never seen them live, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it. And I'm a straight 20 year old male. :D
    Another straight 20 year old male who has seen them live, and loved every minute of it. :D Well... except for Who Says You Can't Go Home, but that's understandable, right?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Another straight 20 year old male who has seen them live, and loved every minute of it. :D Well... except for Who Says You Can't Go Home, but that's understandable, right?

I like that song actually, haha. The original version though, not the duet version. You post in the other Bon Jovi threads too when they come up, right? Me and you, we're fighting the good fight. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • My wife and I still enjoy Slippery When Wet, but it holds great nostalgic value to us since it was one of the biggest albums when we were kids. Don't get me wrong, some of the songs are legitimately good, but I doubt most would appeal to us if not for that nostalgia.

And to back my point up, we don't care for anything else from his catalog, even though a lot of his other music would be just as listenable and potentially enjoyable as that album.

You'll find that this is pretty standard fare with people...they'll love certain songs they grew up with even though they aren't overall fans of the artist.

But I suppose I can see the appeal for some in Bon Jovi.

maybe some music can't be that bad if it actually does hit so many people in different ways.

Never judge music based on sales. Sure, Bon Jovi has sold zillions of albums, but so has N-Sync. Shit, so has Barney.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • DOSW wrote:
    I like that song actually, haha. The original version though, not the duet version. You post in the other Bon Jovi threads too when they come up, right? Me and you, we're fighting the good fight. :D
    Haha, yeah, I'm always talking about how Richie is the real talent in the band. :D You're the one who loves Little Bit Of Soul too, right? :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I like a handful of songs from Keep The Faith, and the majority of These Days.

Too bad none of that stuff is played.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    awesome post...I will admit that Im not really a Bonjovi fan but I do like some songs. I bet I would enjoy a bon jovi concert :eek:

As for MCR, Im a fan...I don't give a fuck if they are a hot topic band or whatever..the black parade was genious in my opinion.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I totally agree, people should pretty much like everything, even if it sucks. Next week I'm going to see Nickelback and Creed, and it'll be fucking awesome, because diversity rules. Music snobs are really missing out.
  • Igottago wrote:
    I totally agree, people should pretty much like everything, even if it sucks. Next week I'm going to see Nickelback and Creed, and it'll be fucking awesome, because diversity rules. Music snobs are really missing out.

I'll be at Polkafest '08 next week - I can't wait to hear the Accordiants. They're awful, so I really love 'em!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    Id go just for the cougars
    the music is just a bonus.

;)
  • My wife and I still enjoy Slippery When Wet, but it holds great nostalgic value to us since it was one of the biggest albums when we were kids. Don't get me wrong, some of the songs are legitimately good, but I doubt most would appeal to us if not for that nostalgia.

And to back my point up, we don't care for anything else from his catalog, even though a lot of his other music would be just as listenable and potentially enjoyable as that album.

You'll find that this is pretty standard fare with people...they'll love certain songs they grew up with even though they aren't overall fans of the artist.

But I suppose I can see the appeal for some in Bon Jovi.

Never judge music based on sales. Sure, Bon Jovi has sold zillions of albums, but so has N-Sync. Shit, so has Barney.

was not neccesarily referring to album sales, but more on the amount of people rocking out at the garden. it was hitting die hard fans, and just casual people who get dragged. maybe its the beer lol. i just love live music. when we tailgate for football games, i only put live recordings of everyones favorite bands. its just so much better and displays a certain energy and attitude
    98- 9/8.9/10.9/11
    00- 8/3, 8/4, 9/1.9/2
    03- 4/28. 7/8. 7/9. 7/14
    04- 10/1
    05- 10/3
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I got a call about a month ago from a friend who had a spare free ticket to see them that night. I hadn't listened to anything post These Days and at the show there were literally only a handful of songs I hadn't heard and they played a heap off Keep the Faith. Also I presume it was as they were in the UK we got covers of Rockin All Over the World, We Will Rock You, Shout, Mercy and and they finished with Twist and Shout.

As the OP said it was a huge sing a long. I really enjoyed it. I won't be rushing out to buy any more of their music but I'm definitely glad I went.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Chime wrote:
    I got a call about a month ago from a friend who had a spare free ticket to see them that night. I hadn't listened to anything post These Days and at the show there were literally only a handful of songs I hadn't heard and they played a heap off Keep the Faith. Also I presume it was as they were in the UK we got covers of Rockin All Over the World, We Will Rock You, Shout, Mercy and and they finished with Twist and Shout.

As the OP said it was a huge sing a long. I really enjoyed it. I won't be rushing out to buy any more of their music but I'm definitely glad I went.
    Embarrassingly, I can tell you that Shout is regular fixture of their setlists. :o:p
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I saw Bon Jovi,.....21 :o years ago, I had bought their album the year previous. I wasn't a huge fan, but they did a good show I suppose.
    I have never been a music snob, it's ridiculous I mean if you like something....just enjoy it I say. :)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • I saw Bon Jovi about 10 years ago and they lost me when they took the stage, these HUGE (like 50 ft tall) chickens inflated on each side of the stage. It was weird. The concert was fine. I didn't hate it. But, I hated the stupid chickens.
  • no crazy chickens. just a few screens. but it didn' t take away from the show so thats good.
    98- 9/8.9/10.9/11
    00- 8/3, 8/4, 9/1.9/2
    03- 4/28. 7/8. 7/9. 7/14
    04- 10/1
    05- 10/3