Consolers of the Lonely.

chris05chris05 Posts: 347
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Holy shit I love this album.
Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It didn't blow me away like Broken Boy Soldier--but it is fantastic. Gets better each listen.
  • It didn't blow me away like Broken Boy Soldier--but it is fantastic. Gets better each listen.

Really? Upon first listen, i thought consolers was head & shoulders above BBS. That's not to say that BBS wasn't good....b/c it was amazing. I just like Consolers that much better.

The opener kicks your ass, Salute your solution is about as catchy as catchy gets and Carolina drama is turning into one of my favorite songs of the year so far....or possibly the last few years.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • brain of c wrote:
    que?

Really? Upon first listen, i thought consolers was head & shoulders above BBS. That's not to say that BBS wasn't good....b/c it was amazing. I just like Consolers that much better.

The opener kicks your ass, Salute your solution is about as catchy as catchy gets and Carolina drama is turning into one of my favorite songs of the year so far....or possibly the last few years.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

• Really? Upon first listen, i thought consolers was head & shoulders above BBS. That's not to say that BBS wasn't good....b/c it was amazing. I just like Consolers that much better.

Agree to disagree. I thought stereogum's review was spot on: http://stereogum.com/archives/premature-evaluation/premature-evaluation-the-raconteurs-consolers-of-t_008553.html
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008

That is an excellent review.
  • Yeah, not a bad review....and yes, agree to disagree :D I just keep comparing the albums though and i can name four or five tracks off consolers that i like more than any track off of BBS.

Consolers favorites:

Salute Your Salution
    Consolers of the Lonely
    Carolina Drama
    Old Enough
    The Switch and the Spur
    5 on the 5 (very happy that they put this on the record)

So i guess that's six :cool:

BBS favorites:

Intimate Secretary
    Yellow Sun
    Call It a Day

"She fell funny"

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the Raconteurs
  • TerryibleTerryible Posts: 462
    It didn't blow me away like Broken Boy Soldier--but it is fantastic. Gets better each listen.

I agree, first time i listen to it, it did nothing for me, but the more times i listen the better it's sounding

and to me, thats a sign of a great album, one that gets better each time its played
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Yeah, not a bad review....and yes, agree to disagree :D I just keep comparing the albums though and i can name four or five tracks off consolers that i like more than any track off of BBS.

Consolers favorites:

Salute Your Salution
    Consolers of the Lonely
    Carolina Drama
    Old Enough
    The Switch and the Spur
    5 on the 5 (very happy that they put this on the record)

So i guess that's six :cool:

BBS favorites:

Intimate Secretary
    Yellow Sun
    Call It a Day

Don't forget about Hands and Level.

I can't say I would take my favorite 5 off BBS over any song on Consolers, but I still think the album has a whole had more flow, coherence, and keeps my interest from start to finish.

Consolers does indeed get better with each listen but I still find my self tuning out during some songs, and skipping around more. The album could have been more complete if they would have been more selective with song choice.

Maybe rather than putting them on the album, Hold Off, Five On The Five (sorry--kind of disjointed for me), & These Stones Will Shout, would have been better suited as b-side releases.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i think that Consolers is waaaay better than BBS. They sound so much more together in this album. Personally, I hope that Jack sticks with Racoontears and does nothing else with White Stripes (there i said it!).

also, this thread made me think (this is not meant to be a dig at the OP at all) that when posting something, the title of the post should go through a search of the given forums. if there is a post already started, then a simple reply could be made. if no matches are found, or the poster does not care about the other threads, then the new post is made.

reason why i thought this

• Maybe rather than putting them on the album, Hold Off, Five On The Five (sorry--kind of disjointed for me), & These Stones Will Shout, would have been better suited as b-side releases.

Five on the five did disappoint me a bit. After hearing kickass live versions of the song, the studio version just doesn't hold up. That said, i still love it :D.

Hands & level weren't that bad either. I'm just not sure i like them as much :o I thought Together was a bit of a throw away as well...or at least it brings a serious lull to the album.

"She fell funny"

• jufferyjuffery Posts: 4
    Just given it a first listen and it's an excellent album. Haven't listened to BBS for a while, so can't compare yet. But I tell you this, I'm liking the Raconteurs more than The White Stripes these days.
  • i have the album on constantly in he car at the moment...it is awesome

its a more well thought out album than BBS and more classic sounding...does anyboy else think there is maybe one or two songs in there that were originally destined for the white stripes?....i get the feeling

i have been jamming along with this album too and just love the vibe and tone the band get...brilliant....roll on full uk tour! :)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • Top Yourself is the fucking shit! That slide guitar kills me.
    You Don't Understand Me is amazing too, reminds me of Lennon.
    And then Carolina Drama... Unreal
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    roll on full uk tour! :)

tickets are on sale now for liverpool and london!!!!!
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    It didn't blow me away like Broken Boy Soldier--but it is fantastic. Gets better each listen.
    translation its not as poppy

this is more of an album ,whereas broken boy was lets write each song as if it were going to be on the radio
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    This CD is fantastic. Carolina Drama is the best song of the year so far. I can't wait to see them at Bonnaroo.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:
    translation its not as poppy

this is more of an album ,whereas broken boy was lets write each song as if it were going to be on the radio
    Um...ok?