Dixie Chicks on Oprah

chris05chris05 Posts: 347
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Just watched them then, and wow they took alot of shit for their Bush bashing. Death threats and everything, crazy.

I wonder why PJ don't get in this much shit for their comments about Bush?
Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    because at the time, they didn't sell as many records... and they're fan base is primarily on their side. and i remember when this board got freeped. and the tension at a few shows in the aftermath. good times.

with the dixie chicks, they were pretty big sales wise, and their fanbase could be considered just a teensy bit more to the right than PJs. so therefore, more people got pissed off.

well, my take anyway.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Primarily because the Country music scene is inherently a lot more conservative and a bit more rigid than the Rock scene (just ask Shania Twain). Record sales aren't an issue....your audience is. Good 'ol boys and girls, in a sense.

Every few months or so (like clockwork) a new Americana, flag waving, red, white and blue song will spring up out of a random Country music artist (I'm starting to think it's a requirement). But Rock...well, there lies the freedom to be a lot more liberal and expressive of how you feel.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Pearl Jam does not get into as much trouble as Dixie Chicks because PJ was outspoken and issues-oriented since their inception.

Dixie Chicks only became that way once they realized they had the platform and the clout. Kudos to them for taking advantage of their exposure to say things that they really believe in.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020