Bob Dylan Live?

chris05chris05 Posts: 347
edited March 2008 in Other Music
So Bob is coming to my town in May. I am a fan, just wondering is he worth going to see. Like is he any good live these days??
Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I saw him a year or two ago and he was pretty bad. If you're a fan you should go just to see him, but don't expect much.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    chris05 wrote:
    So Bob is coming to my town in May. I am a fan, just wondering is he worth going to see. Like is he any good live these days??

just ask yourself this...

"can i go through life having never seen bob, especially when i had the chance to see him in my hometown?"

concert regrets? ya i've had a few...
  • VortexVortex Posts: 8,772
    chris05 wrote:

I´ve seen him twice last week and it was amazing. That´s so cool that he is coming to your hometown, i had to travel to both shows. If you´re a fan you definitely must go. You won´t regret

If you still have doubts, here´s Girl Of The North Country from my tape of Punta del Este from last thursday, http://www.sendspace.com/file/x7z9pp
    Hope you like it!
    If you follow every dream
    You might get lost
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    augustwest wrote:
    just ask yourself this...

"can i go through life having never seen bob, especially when i had the chance to see him in my hometown?"

concert regrets? ya i've had a few...

Yep, I agree. Go see Bob. I've seen him number of times over the last few years and never been disappointed.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    IS bob dylan ALIVE these days? heh heh

listen, i am a HUGE bob dylan fan, and i'd see him no matter what, but he's a bit *burnt* anymore, so go for the experience, not the music. :D
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I saw him last summer and he was AMAZING, much better than I thought he'd be.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I saw him in 1989.He was truly awful.It could have been a cardboard cut out on stage and it would have had more charisma and stage presence.To add insult to injury he was supported by Edie Breckel (spl?)
    But can you miss seeing him when he is still touring?
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    chris05 wrote:

He's good but don't expect the songs to sound like they used to. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    Make sure you listen to the past few albums or you won't recognize any songs, including hits. However, Bob's got the best backing band probably ever. Maybe the loudest show I have ever been to, besides Sonic Youth. The bass/rhythm section is fucking awsome. Stew Kimbal (i think) is also just sick on guitar. But you won't understand any words. Seeing Bob in person, however, (if you are a fan) is breathtaking. To me it was almost like he wasn't human, and I could feel his presence. To build on this he doesnt address the crowd to the very end.

Get drunk, get up front, and shag for an hour and a half.
  • ramborambo Posts: 170
    haha im gonna get half drunk for the st.john's show, i dont care how bad he is now, its cool just to be in the same room as him
    st. john's newfoundland, sept 24/2005
    st. john's newfoundland, sept. 25/2005
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    chris05 wrote:

YES GO SEE A LEGEND. :)
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    go and see him you will not be disappointed. I missed out on Ray Charles in my home town I SOOOOO regret that.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    If you've never seen him, go.

If you expect it to sound like 1975, don't go.
    People who expect a greatest hits show that sounds like their mp3s it aint gonna happen. You'll get new stuff, obscure stuff, and a couple hits that don't sound anything like they used to.

Bob is contantly rearranging the songs and reinventing himself. Go to see an artist at work, not a puppet cranking out the "greatest hits"
  • pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    A no-brainer for me to go see him since no one ever comes to St. John's. The first show sold out before I even heard about him coming here. I'm glad they added the second show.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Saw Bob play the Houston rodeo back in 2002. Really short set, but considering it was the rodeo and all the other activities it in tales I didn't mind. Others have pretty much covered the basics on Bob's shows. I really hope I can see an actual theater show of his in the near future. I'm a huge fan of his, and it is a real honor to get to see such an icon, but his shows can be hot or miss depending on what you expect. Sometimes he does not talk at all so he doesn't really interact with the crowd much except for jamming on the songs. I guess that's just Dylan's way of interacting with the crowd.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • VMGACgVMGACg Posts: 135
    who is this bob dylan guy i hear so much about?
    I am questioning my education
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    VMGACg wrote:
    who is this bob dylan guy i hear so much about?

are you questioning your education?
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I seen Bob a few years ago with lofty expectations. I was completely let down. Willie Nelson opened for him and surprisingly blew him off the stage. That was my last and will remain my last Dylan live experience.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    If you see Bob Dylan do not expect anything! Bob will do what Bob wants to do and you're just along for the ride. He is a genious. I save that term for a very select few, and he's one. He has been doing this for nearly 50 years and he entertains one person only at his shows: himself. Is it good for you? That all depends. I absolutely marvel and adore what he does and love it. There is a sense that he's completely messing with you the whole time, but it's fantastic!!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!