Rap

JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Earlier today someone I was with had some Easy E playing and it reminded me how awesome rap used to be. E, Bone Thugs, and Tupac are the shit..they are the ones i have listened to today..

Anyone on here like any rap?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    It's about 50% of what I listen to. With Pearl Jam being 10% and all other alternative/indie/jazz/reggae being the other 40%

I just listened to Eazy-E the other day and Saw Ice Cube perform last weekend. Cube still sounded good but the show was a bit short.
    NERDS!
  • leatherman_8leatherman_8 Posts: 107
    I'm a fan of the early 90s stuff, like NWA, Tribe Called Quest and Public Enemy. Pretty much the only current rap I listen to is Kanye, Common and Jay-Z.
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
    I'm a fan of the early 90s stuff, like NWA, Tribe Called Quest and Public Enemy. Pretty much the only current rap I listen to is Kanye, Common and Jay-Z.

Sounds like me. A new common album due in September "Finding Forever"
    NERDS!
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Jay - Z is probably my favorite rapper ever and one of my favorite artists out of all music.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I bought Fear Of A Black Planet a while ago and it is awesome
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    Echoes wrote:
    I bought Fear Of A Black Planet a while ago and it is awesome

You are correct. The best PE album IMO.
    NERDS!
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I'll probably buy It Takes A Nation Of millions if I ever see it kicking around in the used bin
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    The Roots are definitely my fav. rap artists right now, but I've been meaning to get into some Jay-Z and see how that goes. Common and PE are other ones I love to spin.
    Her?
  • DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    I would rather rip off my ears and pour battery acid in the wounds than listen to any rap that came out after about 1995. Current rap doesnt have any flow whatsoever and most lyrics dont even rhyme.

Public Enemy rocked. They actually made music.

It takes a nation of millions.... is definilty one of my all time top ten albums.
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
    Deeve wrote:
    I would rather rip off my ears and pour battery acid in the wounds than listen to any rap that came out after about 1995. Current rap doesnt have any flow whatsoever and most lyrics dont even rhyme.

Public Enemy rocked. They actually made music.

It takes a nation of millions.... is definilty one of my all time top ten albums.
    That's kinda like saying Pearl Jam hasn't made a good album after 94' :D
    NERDS!
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Earlier today someone I was with had some Easy E playing and it reminded me how awesome rap used to be. E, Bone Thugs, and Tupac are the shit..they are the ones i have listened to today..

Anyone on here like any rap?

Gimme that nut! :)

What a classic song.
    That's kinda like saying Pearl Jam hasn't made a good album after 94' :D

that year would be 98... :) just kiddin.

seriously though. Rap just changed in the mid 90s. Went down a road that I personally don't care for I guess. Went from being musical to mostly just being a stuttering drum beat with annoying sound laced throughout and a guy rapping about shooting someone or hoes or money.

Mind you, I guess my main problem with rap these days is the bling factor. I guess plain and simple I cannot stand their attitudes and the total lack of respect they seem to have for women.... or anyone for that matter. All that matters is they got more than anyone else.
    Deeve wrote:
    that year would be 98... :) just kiddin.

seriously though. Rap just changed in the mid 90s. Went down a road that I personally don't care for I guess. Went from being musical to mostly just being a stuttering drum beat with annoying sound laced throughout and a guy rapping about shooting someone or hoes or money.

Mind you, I guess my main problem with rap these days is the bling factor. I guess plain and simple I cannot stand their attitudes and the total lack of respect they seem to have for women.... or anyone for that matter. All that matters is they got more than anyone else.

What you say is true. That's why you should listen to some Common, The Roots, Murs, Little Brother, and Talib Kweli.

Definitely not about the bling. All of these artists have the old school sound in em'
    NERDS!
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    What you say is true. That's why you should listen to some Common, The Roots, Murs, Little Brother, and Talib Kweli.

Definitely not about the bling.

Listen to some Saul Williams. You won't regret it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • I was listening to 30 second clips from his new CD on iTunes. Hilarious.

"I was the best in my section with flows harder than erections..."
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • audiodave wrote:
    Listen to some Saul Williams. You won't regret it.

Ditto ... although i wouldnt really class him as a rapper tbh.

on the whole i hate commercial rap, rappers or hiphop stars (whatever they want to be called) and their whole stinking attitude. Their lyrics and music are more often than not borrowed or stolen, and their lifestyles are rediculously over exuberant. They're arrogant fuckers, and have no respect for anyone. They could all die tomorrow, and i wouldnt give a good fuck!

They make make me physically sick.

I only got into saul williams because he supported NIN last year in manchester. Saw him in a small venue in Dublin a few months later, and he really blew me away. So if anyone knows any artists who play in a similar vein to Saul, please give them a shout out in here. He has my full respect.