Best Rock and Roll Band

JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Who do you guys think are the best rock band out right now? I'm gonna say the Drive by Truckers with their kickass live show
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Since you used the term rock and roll, I will assume you are just talking about straight up rock music, in that case

The Redwalls
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Jet
    The Vines
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    the who
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    Ac/dc.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Making music now... meaningful music i assume you mean.

My Morning Jacket

I think they are rock n roll perhaps theyare not.

Maybe the White Stripes if their new album rocks. Get Behind me Satan was a let down for me but Jack White is a cool rock n roll type guy.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    If you're talking about rock n' roll that kicks you in the ass and grabs you by the gonads, then I nominate the following:

The Tragically Hip
    The Hold Steady
    Pearl Jam
    Drive-By Truckers
    Wintersleep
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Sam Roberts Band
    Matt Mays & El Torpedo
    The Hugh Dillon Redemption Choir
    Dinosaur Jr. (comeback of the decade!)
    The White Stripes

honorable mention:
    Wilco (anybody who has seen them live knows that these guys can rock out like nobody's business.)
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • International Sex Park
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    robfest2 wrote:
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady
    The Hold Steady

Fuck yes
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • bgivens33bgivens33 Posts: 290
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    Fuck yes

never heard of them.... checking them out now.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    assuming you mean bands other than pearl jam i'm gonna say my morning jacket is hands down my favorite band out there right now. definately one of the best live acts. great albums.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    DBTs

Hands down, no contest. The show I saw a few weeks ago confirmed it. An acoustic show no less.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I'm going with MMJ. I'd put the Strokes in second place.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    I think people would be hardpressed to find a better band currently, than The Arcade Fire. One of the few bands, people seem to think rivals Pearl Jam's mindblowing live shows
  • the.

black.

crowes.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    I think people would be hardpressed to find a better band currently, than The Arcade Fire. One of the few bands, people seem to think rivals Pearl Jam's mindblowing live shows

Arcade Fire is a fantastic band, but I wouldn't exactly call them rock n' roll.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Supersuckers!!!!!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    my morning jacket
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    theres this band with the singer named ed that i heard was pretty good...
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    Supersuckers!!!!!

Yes! I can't believe I forgot to mention them.

-Tom Waits
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Cant believe what Im reading here. Drive by truckers, and Arcade fire. Now time to list some real rock n roll bands.

Velvet Revolver-Slash on guitar and Scott on vocals amazing team,Contraband was a great record. There new album is gonna be even better. One of the best live bands out there. Scott can perform like a motherfucker.

The Tragically Hip-Just a great band, Gord Downies lyrics are one of a kind.

Jet-For straight up rock music, not the best band out there but they got the right idea.
    Cant believe what Im reading here. Drive by truckers, and Arcade fire. Now time to list some real rock n roll bands.

Have you ever heard the Drive-By Truckers? That band is probably one of the heaviest bands out there right now. Kick-ass rock n' roll in it's purest form.

-Tom Waits
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    i'd have to go with queens of the stone age. I really don't think that MMJ or Arcade Fire are really rock and roll. Not a fan of either band but i wouldn't really call them rock and roll.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    pjfan020 wrote:
    i'd have to go with queens of the stone age. I really don't think that MMJ or Arcade Fire are really rock and roll. Not a fan of either band but i wouldn't really call them rock and roll.

hmmm...i can't really comment on arcade fire because i haven't really listened to a whole lot of their music too closely but to say that mmj isn't a rock and roll band just shows some ignorance on your part. either you don't know what rock and roll is or you are commenting on something you don't know enough about.
  • Flaming Lips
    The Strokes
    Radiohead
    Wilco
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Queens of the Stone Age are the epitome of Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll. Therefore they are the best Rock and Roll band around right now.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    1. QotSA
    2. The White Stripes
    3. Pearl Jam

If you don't have at least one of these on your list, you have ZERO musical credibility.