Weezer

JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I haven't seen a thread about them in a while and I'm listening to the blue albums..its pretty awesome!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yes it is. :)

as a weezer newbie i agree.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Maladroit for me the last few days.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    I seen Weezer in Cincy in 96 during the blue album.there was about 75 to 100 people there. It was crazy the energy they have is intents
    grimmy
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    I saw them at the Newport in Columbus OH for the Pinkerton tour. FANTASTIC!
  • western pearlwestern pearl Posts: 632
    First and only time I ever saw them was their past tour w/ the Foo Fighters in Grand Rapids. Wish i wouldn't have waited so long to see them :(
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I have never seen them but i love them!

W Pearl. I was trying to remember who had "She fell funny" as their signature. I was watching The Departed late last night.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • western pearlwestern pearl Posts: 632
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I have never seen them but i love them!

W Pearl. I was trying to remember who had "She fell funny" as their signature. I was watching The Departed late last night.

I think there may have been somebody before me but i haven't seen it in a long time. I love that line though!! Great movie :)
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    The only good emo band.
  • Gremmie95 wrote:
    I saw them at the Newport in Columbus OH for the Pinkerton tour. FANTASTIC!

Pinkerton is killer
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• danny72688 wrote:
    The only good emo band.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, another name for "Rock N Roll". It's all Rock!!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, another name for "Rock N Roll". It's all Rock!!!!!
    Okay. I had to categorize them with shit anyway.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Okay. I had to categorize them with shit anyway.

just messing with you. From that era, they are one of the few great bands.

just messing with you. From that era, they are one of the few great bands.
    I think there were a bunch of good bands in the early-mid ninties. But when all this poser rock came out in the late ninties (cough cough Godsmack) it all went to shit. Can't wait for Weezer's new stuff whenever they have it ready.

Oh and I meant to say, "I hate to categorize them with shit" ;)
  • danny72688 wrote:
    I think there were a bunch of good bands in the early-mid ninties. But when all this poser rock came out in the late ninties (cough cough Godsmack) it all went to shit. Can't wait for Weezer's new stuff whenever they have it ready.

Oh and I meant to say, "I hate to categorize them with shit" ;)

I believe Weezer had "Hung it up"

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Definitely one of the best 90s bands
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I love Weezer but the last album was shite. They peaked with Pinkerton, perhaps they'll they get back to that kind of greatness one day.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    I thought Maladroit was their worst album..........those < 2 minute songs do nothing for me
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    GRIMMY wrote:
    I seen Weezer in Cincy in 96 during the blue album.there was about 75 to 100 people there. It was crazy the energy they have is intents

By 96, they were touring for Pinkerton, and they were drawing crowds of a few thousand at mininum. You must have your date wrong.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    I thought Maladroit was their worst album..........those < 2 minute songs do nothing for me
    oh i love those songs!! i personally loved maladroit though, alot more than make believe, that album did nothing for me
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I haven't seen a thread about them in a while and I'm listening to the blue albums..its pretty awesome!
    Yeah, the blue album and Pinkerton are awesome albums. I like Pinkerton the best though. I got to see Weezer with the Foo fighters about a year and a half ago, and I was impressed with Weezers live show. It was pretty cool.The Majority of the set was Blue album and Make Believe songs. They only played 2 from Pinkerton, and 3 off Green album. I think this thread has inspired me to listen to some weezer after the cd I'm playing now is done. :)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Before I saw PJ live in 2004, I was deep into =W=. I still love them to death, but it's primarily for the first two albums. Pinkerton was one of my first CD's back in middle school.

I miss them but I'll be honest, the last time I saw them was somewhat disappointing. Rivers hates playing stuff off Pinkerton so I've had to resign to never hear two of my favorites, Across the Sea and Pink Triangle.

And in closing, I have only three words:

Only in Dreams.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Weezer is one of my favorite bands.
    Blue album is in my top 10.
    Pinkerton is also very very good. The last album is not bad. But in between (green album annd maladroit) were rather bad.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I love weezer. They finally came to Ireland on the Make Believe tour. Tickets were tough to come by but I managed to get a pair. Great concert. I actually like Make Believe, but it's nowhere near as good as the other albums. Blue is my favourite overall. I think Green is criminally underrated.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • I love weezer. They finally came to Ireland on the Make Believe tour. Tickets were tough to come by but I managed to get a pair. Great concert. I actually like Make Believe, but it's nowhere near as good as the other albums. Blue is my favourite overall. I think Green is criminally underrated.

I like Make Believe as well. Some of the songs are quite good... "Hold Me" and "Peace" are my two favorites.

My issue with the Green album is that it barely broke 30 minutes in length and most of the songs sound EXACTLY the same. Don't get me wrong, the Green album had its moments ("Photograph" will always be one of my favorite =W= songs) but as a follow up to Pinkerton, an album that deeply affected me, I was a bit disappointed.
  • Weezer was always a very under-rated group. Some awesome lyrics and music. The funny thing is that I git into them when Pinkerton came out in 1996! I considered Pinkerton to be an amazing album, but every review I read about it, totally ripped it. It got some seriously embarrassing reviews by the music mags of the time.

The universal disregard for Pinkerton, was just one more reason that I gave up on rock journalism and/or being interested in music mags. I used to have like every magazine/fanzine/newsletter back around that time. But they all seemed more interested in downplaying the importance of bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. When "No Code" was critically panned, I was out. Cancelled all of my subscriptions.

Great to see some love for Weezer out on the boards though!
    Weezer was always a very under-rated group. Some awesome lyrics and music. The funny thing is that I git into them when Pinkerton came out in 1996! I considered Pinkerton to be an amazing album, but every review I read about it, totally ripped it. It got some seriously embarrassing reviews by the music mags of the time.

The universal disregard for Pinkerton, was just one more reason that I gave up on rock journalism and/or being interested in music mags. I used to have like every magazine/fanzine/newsletter back around that time. But they all seemed more interested in downplaying the importance of bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. When "No Code" was critically panned, I was out. Cancelled all of my subscriptions.

Great to see some love for Weezer out on the boards though!

Pinkerton often shows up in best of lists nowadays........too bad it took 10 years for them to realize how good it was.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    The blue album is their best imo. My second fav is pinkerton. :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    I think Green is criminally underrated.
    As far as I am aware, Blue, Green, and Make Believe are very popular among general audiences. Then you got your more than average fans who either A) like only Blue and Pinkerton; or B) like only Green, Maladroit, and Make Believe. And of course the die hards that like it all. I'm sure there's mixes of all of these but these are the categories I always run into.

Anyway, I like me some Green, but it is criminally short ;)

The reason the album sounds so redundant to some folks I think is because they use the same song formula for all 10 songs:
    Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo that mimics verse, chorus.
    Most of them have little intros, but that's how they all end up going.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    As always, i will hold out hope that the new one is a return to form. I think there are have been good songs on every album. Just a lot of crap filler on the past 3-4.

At least we're getting another one, despite the recent specualtion:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003603859
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    one of my favorite bands