Iron Maiden... Finally!!

nucularnucular Posts: 3
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I've been a Maiden fan since I heard "Run to the Hills" on the radio in 1982.

When I was in 7th grade, the World Slavery Tour came to my home town, and I was pumped. Unfortunately, I got a bad grade on my progress report in Texas History, and my mom wouldn't let me go (A week later my teacher found some missing homework and upped my grade). The kicker was that my best friend's older sister worked at the hotel where Maiden were staying, met a roadie, and got all of my buddies back stage to meet the band after the show.

In 9th grade, I had Somewhere in Time tickets, and they canceled.

I am now 36 and *finally* saw Maiden two nights ago in Houston, and they just flat out rocked. Bruce is 50 now, and he still has incredible energy. He just ran all over the stage all night. You could tell the guys were having a blast.

If I have one gripe, I would have preferred a little more of their older (i.e. Paul DiAnno) stuff. I would love to have heard Phantom, Killers, Wrathchild, Murders, etc, but it was a damn good show. The best part of it was that I went to it with my friend from 7th grade.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• san pedrosan pedro Posts: 169
    i got to see iron maiden in 1981 with paul dianno on vocals. they were opening up for ufo. i also saw them twice on the number of the beast tour. killers and number of the beast are my favorite albums by iron maiden. iron maiden is the shit!
    "DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME"
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    I saw them in San Antonio (Selma) on wednesday and they friggin rocked !! Bruce's voice was phenomenol. I loved it when he put on the redcoat and ran around with the union jack !

What did you think about Steve's daughter opening up for the band? She wasnt too bad singing and definitely hot.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I saw them in 2006. A friend dragged me on, I wasn't a massive fan although I did like a few of their hits. I'm still not really a fan but they put on a hell of a show.
  • nucularnucular Posts: 3
    What did you think about Steve's daughter opening up for the band? She wasnt too bad singing and definitely hot.

I didn't think that much of her. I'm not really into metal at this point, but Maiden is a huge part of my childhood. That having been said, I was on the lawn, which was still pretty empty when she was playing. The lawn was absolutely packed for Maiden. It was my first sellout at The Woodlands.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I saw them on the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album tour (which I think they called Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour or something like that) and it was fantastic. I wanted to be Steve Harris when I started playing the bass... that dude ROCKS.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    hey i was at that houston show too!! and yes it was awesome. too bad im not such a big fan because i didnt know a lot of the songs. My brother is a big fan so i went with him. for a band im not too familiar with, that was one of the best shows i've been to, esp because ive never been to a show with pyrotechnics, costume changes, large props. the walking Ed was badass. anyway, ive been listening to Live after death since then.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • nucularnucular Posts: 3
    ive been listening to Live after death since then.

Maiden just released Live After Death on DVD. I would highly recommend it. Their stage was just *huge*. The stage for this tour is essentially based on it and modernized, but the lights for the 84/85 were quite a bit better.