New Sigur Rós album...

Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
edited May 2008 in Other Music
That's right, their new album was just announced today that it'll be dropping June 23 (for everyone but US) and the 24 (for the US)... it's called “með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust” (which means "with a buzz in our ears we play endlessly")... there's one track that's fully sung in English, one track sung in Hopelandic, and the other 9 tracks are in Icelandic. This is great! Tracklist:

1. gobbledigook
2. inní mér syngur vitleysingur
3. góðan daginn
4. við spilum endalaust
5. festival
6. suð í eyrum
7. ára bátur
8. illgresi
9. fljótavík
10. straumnes
11. all alright

And there's a download of the first song which'll be available in an hour, I think.

Source
If I could, think I would give in.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    i can not WAIT for this record. This and MMJ will make the whole year for me.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    The single is very different from anything I have heard from them. The acoustic guitar is a bit like a sped up "Grey Street" by Dave Matthews
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Great news!
    The new song is very different, but I liked it
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    What album or songs would you recommend for a Sigur Rós newbie? I've heard lots of good things about them, and am now officially interested... :)
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    caifan82 wrote:
    What album or songs would you recommend for a Sigur Rós newbie? I've heard lots of good things about them, and am now officially interested... :)

I think Takk is the best one to start with
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    But if you want musical bliss... get their album ( ). It's just absolutely fantastic. However, for a newbie, get Takk... then ween yourself onto their 2nd album Agaetis Bryjun, then get ( )... don't bother with their first album Von, it's shite.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    this is great news. Thanks!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Like everyone said the single is different from their usual output. But it sounds friggin' great!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I like their lonely & minimalistic work better; but taken as a whole, its a cool addition to their catalog.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    caifan82 wrote:

The 1st song i heard was Olsen Olsen and I was blown away. Had to ask my buddy who they were and what cd he recommended. He let me borrow ( ) (the 1st full album i listened to) and after it I had to hear everything else. It is the type of album that you put on, close your eyes and drift away to. Takk is probably more appealing to more people so if you aren't into () try that. Agaetis Bryjun is also good but I don't think it's as good as the other 2.
    I also recommend picking up their dvd Heima, one of the best music dvd's i own.

Here are a couple songs to check out.

Olsen Olsen from Agaetis Bryjun
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=BEpbnHO-ZGU

Njósnavélin (Untitled 4) from ( )
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=CI-RX-YLKSk

Glósóli from Takk
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=lwQmDvuORY0

there are so many more i could list but i figured i'd post the 1st one that came up from each album

I love the new single aswell, going to be weird hearing sigur ros singing in english
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • This is fantastic news, the new single is excellent.. and there are naked people in the video.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I'm quite pleased with the new song after my first listen. I was hoping that they were sincere with all this talk of new directions and it seems they were. I'm glad they've not gotten stuck doing the same stuff every album. I was kind of worried after Hvarf/Heim. On a sidenote, I don't get why everyone shits on Von. It's not incredibly mature, no, but it's a decent exploration into dark ambience and shoegaze for a band that was trying to find their feet.
    I discovered the secret of life, but forgot to write it down.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Because there's like nothing there... the first two songs sound like they recorded the buzzing of a refrigerator, the next song isn't that bad, but then the rest of the album is like that... like an ambient buzzing song, then an ok song... it's just, not Sigur Rós. I'll agree they were just trying to find their feet, and I'm glad that album happened so we could get ( ), but it's just not enjoyable for me..