New REM-accelerate trailer. AMAZING!!!

kizmaticakizmatica Posts: 6
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Go to REMHQ and click on the left hand side of the screen for the trailer.

REM are back!! I am so happy at the moment. Memories of ATS have been erased.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i think around the sun is amazing
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    itsevobaby wrote:

I think you are the only one. Even the band has pretty much admitted its bad.

I think REM are due for a decent album..this one should be ok.
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    They never said it was bad. They called it uninspired but never bad. For the most part, the live versions of the songs from ats are pretty good. Case in point Electron Blue which is kind of boring on album, but awesome live.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    around the sun was uninsipired. a new guitar rem style album would be great for music and their live show. I think this sounds great and cant wait to catch them hopefully in the states this year.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • New album is sounding good.....

Around The Sun was ruined by uninspired arrangements and over production.....

REM sound like a band again.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • wow, cool this sounds good, hopefully its not just one track!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Igottago wrote:
    I think you are the only one.

Well, I am a fan of Around The Sun as well.:rolleyes: However these songs sounded better live I know. Can't wait to hear the the new album and see one of the best bands ever on the road again!!! ;)
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Count me in as another supporter of ATS.

Seeing as how R.E.M. are part of my "holy trinity of rock" (Pearl Jam + R.E.M. + U2) I've never been able to call out one of their albums as "bad." While the bands post-BB work has been a bit spotty and subdued, there are still some amazing songs spread out among those three releases.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
    Igottago wrote:
    I think you are the only one. Even the band has pretty much admitted its bad.

I think REM are due for a decent album..this one should be ok.
    the outsiders is worth it alone, great choice having Q-tip. boy in the well, aftermath, worst joke ever, ascent of man, leaving new york are great songs. took me a while to get into the mood of the album but i really like it now, it's got a nice texture about it. and seeing it live was incredible, totally blew my expectations. reveal is the only thing from them that's failed to grab me, even up has some real magic on it.

anyway, didn't mean to change topic of the thread, new album will be great too i'm sure. one of the things i like most about rem is that they're not afraid to mix it up & try things they haven't really touched on before. many different flavours throughout their catalogue, hoping this one will continue that trend :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    btb002 wrote:
    They never said it was bad. They called it uninspired but never bad. For the most part, the live versions of the songs from ats are pretty good. Case in point Electron Blue which is kind of boring on album, but awesome live.
    yeah i remember them saying that they thought they'd written a good bunch of songs but they were disappointed how it translated to record.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • REM are back... yawn. I didn't know they were still around. Which song did Stipe write about Courtney Love? Will they be going back to grunge like Monster?
    REM are back... yawn. I didn't know they were still around. Which song did Stipe write about Courtney Love? Will they be going back to grunge like Monster?

They wrote a song about Courtney Love?
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Igottago wrote:
    They wrote a song about Courtney Love?

she thinks crush with eyeliner is about her.

it isn't.
  • I'll be seeing them at Langerado. At big cypruss Florida

http://www.langerado.com
  • Supernatural Superserious sounds like it's going to be a great song! The guitars sound thick and heavy, and Michael Stipe sounds inspired once again.

For the record, Around The Sun is my joint favourite REM album, along with New Adventures in HI-FI. Electron Blue, The Outsiders, Final Straw, Boy In The Well, Aftermath....they're all classic songs that sound even better live.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    around the sun is good, i like reveal too which seems to be slated by pretty much everyone. REM is a band i've always liked and not loved - i'll definitely pick up the new one though. Murmur is one of my favourite records ever
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • all the people who hate killer stuff like "Leaving New York," "Make it all OK", & "The Ascent of Man" off Around the Sun are the same idiots who are only interested in R.E.M. making another Automatic for the People.

the new album is going to kick ass i don't care how many albums it will sell. R.E.M. have nothing left that they have to prove anyway. their crappiest album does circles around most of the other junk being released these days....

end of blog....
    R.E.M. have nothing left that they have to prove anyway.

that's the problem. there last 2 albums were uninspired and boring. they are comfortable rich old guys who have nothing left to prove, and the lack of passion comes across in the music. Its not a desire to hear automatic for the people again, its a desire to hear something interesting. You're only as good as your last album.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    itsevobaby wrote:

So do I.I thought it was deeply unfair the bad rap it got.Soooooo glad their back,whatever they do.The reviews of the newbie are appetite wetters,no doubts.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Igottago wrote:
    that's the problem. there last 2 albums were uninspired and boring. they are comfortable rich old guys who have nothing left to prove, and the lack of passion comes across in the music. Its not a desire to hear automatic for the people again, its a desire to hear something interesting. You're only as good as your last album.

so go make sure & download "Accelerete" off the internet when it comes out and come here and bitch about them being old rich men. wasn't this an appreciation thread? go start you own "R.E.M.-old uninspired has-been overpaid rock stars" thread
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    First off, I deffinately enjoy the new clip of "Supernatural Superserious."

I have been a huge R.E.M. fan my entire life; however, I have to say I did find Reveal and Around the Sun both slightly uninspired. Up tends to get clumped into this as if R.E.M has sucked since Bill Berry left, usually by critics. This is wrong. Up is a classic album that I felt was inspired by the drastic change in the band. So, R.E.M. have really only put out two sub-par (for R.E.M. standards) albums.

People tend to say bands/artists have lost it when they put out one or two sub-standard albums. These expectations of bands being able to put out something new and great every time year after year are not realistic. Great albums usually are caused by the band being inspired by something. Inspiration is not a constant human condition as far as I know (I am no expert on human psychology). Even Bob Dylan went through a spell where he put out some lackluster albums. Then, somehow, Bob got back to making classics, as his past three albums have been truly amazing.

From what I see, this new R.E.M. stuff has got R.E.M. and their fans (including me) very excited. They have said they were not very happy with the last two albums, so maybe they do have something to prove, mainly to themselves. With such a long career, it is expected for the band to take a few dips. My point is, they made eleven great albums, then just two that weren't as great. That is only two out of thirteen. There is more reason to be optimistic about Accelerate than pessimistic; and from this new trailer, I feel I have every reason to be excited.
    so go make sure & download "Accelerete" off the internet when it comes out and come here and bitch about them being old rich men. wasn't this an appreciation thread? go start you own "R.E.M.-old uninspired has-been overpaid rock stars" thread

are you retarded? i was commenting on what I thought about reveal and around the sun (both of which I own and have listened to thoroughly)..I own every REM album and have seen them live countless times. I can't comment on Accelerate until I listen to it. In my opinion, their last 2 albums were completely uninspired and sub-par. Sorry to offend you, but most music fans feel the same way. If you continue to feel that they have nothing to prove, and that everything they release is amazing, that's up to you. But some of us live in reality.