Being a Tool fan sucks sometimes...

pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193
edited August 2006 in Other Music
http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/p7q3f7

Ugh.

Some bands reserve the tix for charity.

Some bands reserve the tix for their fan clubs.

Some bands do this.

Next time you or someone else bitches about Ten Club ticketing for ANY reason, please consider the alternative...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    guess I got lucky then............the morning mine went on sale I was online and ready.............BOOM!!! No problem...........we WERE unable to get tix the first leg so I had my doubts about getting lucky this time.......but I got em and I hope to hell I enjoy myself seeing them......it may be my last chance............

hope things turn around for you and YOU get lucky!!!!
  • thesheffthesheff Posts: 59
    for the madison show, the tix aren't gonna be sold through ticketmaster, so thats a big plus
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    i can already seeing this auction crap trend becoming a huge deal- making it more expensive to see shows.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • who cares? they are not touring down here
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    this is not cool...Tool
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    So this is some kind of answer to those who sell their tickets on eBay? ...The money goes to the band and not some scalper/eBayer? Ah, okay. But the thing is, there will STILL BE AUCTIONS ON eBAY!

I'll admit I am not the smartest person in the world -- but someone try to give me a rational explaination on what the band is thinking here.................................................besides the fact they'll be making a lot of money. I really hope this isn't going to be a regular practice going forward -- good seats at show are hard enough to come by as it is!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    It must be nice to be soooooo popular that you can rape your fans and make it impossible for some to see you... when the bubble bursts and Tool is touring county fairs I hope they'll remember all the fans they pissed off with stuff like this.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    it is not just tool...tons of bands do this, just look around ticketmaster and you will find plenty of auctions...some bands take money and donate it to charities (at least that is what nin did)

**edit** http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/9nie83?tm_link=tm_home_f7
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    i'm not sure if the bands have as much to do with this as ticektmaster does. i thought this was a ticketmaster thing not an individual band thing. I could be wrong though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I dont see what the big deal is with Tool, I listened to Aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days back to back yesterday and while I like the music it kind of all sounds the same to me, they're called proggresive metal yet it dosen't sound like they have proggresed in 10yrs to me.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • tool are tools for buying into this ticketbastard deal....regardless of whether any money goes to charity or not...which i somehow imagine that this is to lined tool's pockets with gold, rather than support their fave charity

this is a bad thing for live RnR
  • intodeep wrote:
    i'm not sure if the bands have as much to do with this as ticektmaster does. i thought this was a ticketmaster thing not an individual band thing. I could be wrong though.

this is not done without the band saying "YES"
  • The band has to opt in to do this.
    In some ways, it can be okay. If the money is going to charities (like NIN) then I support this idea.
    Hell, I think PJ even used this exact same thing a couple of times in the last few years with proceeds going to charity. If I remember correctly, it was one of the NorthWest benefit shows, they auctioned off front-row tickets.

That said, when NIN did it, it said explicitly on the page that all monies were going to a Hurricane Katrina relief fund. I see no mention of that on the Tool page, that is sad.
  • No presale for fan club members and then auction tickets on ticketmaster. Lame at best.
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • pipedreams wrote:
    No presale for fan club members and then auction tickets on ticketmaster. Lame at best.

i agree with this!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193
    Toshala wrote:
    guess I got lucky then............the morning mine went on sale I was online and ready.............BOOM!!! No problem...........we WERE unable to get tix the first leg so I had my doubts about getting lucky this time.......but I got em and I hope to hell I enjoy myself seeing them......it may be my last chance............

hope things turn around for you and YOU get lucky!!!!

I did fine...got reasonable tix to the Mansfield show. Not great, but good enough. Just can't seem to figure out why they are going this route...
  • pjl44 wrote:
    I did fine...got reasonable tix to the Mansfield show. Not great, but good enough. Just can't seem to figure out why they are going this route...

i really love the new tool song even though it pretty much sounds exactly like every other tool song. when you sound that good, i guess it doesn't matter. hey, they are sorta like ac/dc in that one respect.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • pjl44 wrote:

Don't think too hard about it. It's about money, nothing more.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    I dont see what the big deal is with Tool, I listened to Aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days back to back yesterday and while I like the music it kind of all sounds the same to me, they're called proggresive metal yet it dosen't sound like they have proggresed in 10yrs to me.

I really like tool and all, but I have to say I agree with you on this. While I do think there is a bit more distinction between Aenima and Lateralus I think the last two sound like they were recorded at the same time (and Lateralus came out like 5 years ago!) I like Lateralus, but I just don't see what the big deal is about this new one...IMO

oh, and the whole ticket auction thing is really freakin sad, ESPECIALLY for tool.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193
    Saturnal wrote:
    Don't think too hard about it. It's about money, nothing more.

Not sure if it's that simple. On the Lateralus tour they offered pre-sales for fan club members. No pre-sales this time.

Some have speculated it's a response to the leaking of 10,000 Days or the whining about the ticket situation for their recent theater tour.

I'd love to know precisely why they decided against the pre-sales this time around.
  • pjl44 wrote:
    Not sure if it's that simple. On the Lateralus tour they offered pre-sales for fan club members. No pre-sales this time.

Some have speculated it's a response to the leaking of 10,000 Days or the whining about the ticket situation for their recent theater tour.

I'd love to know precisely why they decided against the pre-sales this time around.

I know, I remember. People change though. And those presales were mostly GA floor shows anyways so it really didn't matter.

But I think it is that simple. Tool gave 10,000 days to a corporate radio staion, and that station left the tracks unprotected on their server. If Tool was that concerned about their album leaking, they probably wouldn't send it to a corporate radio dj first. I don't think that has anything to do with Tool becoming scalpers for their own shows. Scalping is profitable...presales are not.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    for a band that takes their time w/ records i have been thoroughly disappointed w/ the last two albums. i'm like, "if you're gonna wait this long between records I at least expect a HUGE transition. better drumming doesn't cut it anymore."
  • having a tool sticker sucks,too., ummmm officer why did you stop me?
    its the tool sticker...could you step outta the car while we wait for the k9 unit to get here? no shittttttttttttt! whats that all about?
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    Glad I'm not a fan of Tools.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    Tix for the Colorado show went on sale the day of Gorge #1. Guess where I was at with no internet access.

Best chance I have is getting to work with Production on the show. I've never missed Tool live until this year when they played the small venues and it was like a brick wall trying to get tix. Can't miss them twice. Who knows when they will come back.