Drive By Truckers recommendations

pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I've been reading a bunch of good stuff about these guys, but have yet to really give them a listen. I have 3 iTunes credits, so I'm looking for recommendations on what 3 songs would be the best to check out.

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    wow thats a tough one.... i'd choose these ones.. and i think they actually cover all 3 singers:

1) Where the Devil Don't stay (try and get live at the 40 watt version if you can)

2) Outfit

3) Plastic Flowers on the Highway
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Seriously, you are gonna need more than three songs. Three albums maybe. But that ain't gonna cut it either.

Mike Cooley songs:

1. Zip City
    2. Women Without Whiskey
    3. Where the Devil Don't Stay

Patterson Hood songs:

1. Living Bubba
    2. Lookout Mountain
    3. Bulldozers and Dirt

Jason Isbell Songs:

1. Decoration Day
    2. Outfit
    3. Goddamn Lonely Love
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    I really want to see them but they seem to only tour the southern US.... they would be massive if they came up here!!

It would be a nice change from the typical boring hick country and generic rock at the Calgary Stampede they have here every year..
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    1. Dead, Drunk, and Naked
    2. Carl Perkins Cadillac
    3. Gravity's Gone
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Well, since Isbell's gone and they aren't playing his tunes any more, I' hold off on any of his tunes. May as well focus on what you could here if you saw them live. Some of my favorites from Hood an Cooley are:

Living Bubba (Hood)
    Steve McQueen (Hood)
    Uncle Frank (Cooley)
    Buttholeville (Hood)
    The Company I Keep (Hood)
    72 (This Highway's Mean) (Cooley)
    Dead, Drunk, and Naked (Hood)
    Shut Up And Get On The Plane (Cooley)
    Angels And Fuselage (Hood)
    Sink Hole (Hood)
    Hell No, I Ain't Happy (Hood)
    Marry Me (Cooley)
    Heathens (Hood)
    Do It Yourself (Hood)
    Where The Devil Don't Stay (Cooley)
    Tornadoes (Hood)
    Lookout Mountain (Hood)
    Gravity's Gone (Cooley)

You could also check out some of their shows over at http://www.archive.org. You can stream them, or d/l them. Good stuff, and its free.
    Jason Isbell left? I didn't know that.. how come?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994

Mike Cooley songs:

Jason Isbell Songs:

1. Decoration Day

These two are a must (IMO)
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    bharQ wrote:
    Jason Isbell left? I didn't know that.. how come?

From the Trucker's website:
    Important Announcement - April 2007

Y'ALL:

It's with a wide range of emotions and feelings that I'm announcing that we have parted ways with Jason.
    The split, which I consider extremely amicable is the result of a period of personal and artistic growth from all sides which has left us with differing dreams and goals.

Jason joined our band, mid-tour, in the fall of 2001, shortly after the release of our 4th album (Southern Rock Opera). His impact on the band was immediate and profound, bringing an awe-inspiring combination of vocal range, guitar dexterity, and amazing songwriting and leading us into an era of creativity that has resulted in three albums that I will be proud of for as long as I live.

Life in a band is always a delicate balancing act of personal and musical chemistries. Having been in bands for most of my life, I still marvel that any band stays together for longer than a year. Especially if the band in question spends anywhere from 150-220 days a year on the road, as our band has done since 1998. That said, I have also likened this band to a family. A big, messy, sometimes dysfunctional one, but a family full of love all the same. It is in this spirit that I plan on Jason continuing to be a part of our lives wherever our roads and dreams take us in the immediate future.

Jason is about to embark on a tour (including a leg of dates with Son Volt) with his stellar band and will be releasing (finally) his amazing solo album "Sirens of the Ditch" < July 10 from New West Records > . We all are wishing him nothing but the absolute best on every step that plays before him.

Cooley and I will have played together for 22 years this summer and DBT is about to begin it's 12th year of existence on the very day that we will be going into the studio to begin recording our 8th album. Cooley recently sent me a demo of five new songs and yesterday I demoed nine new ones for consideration. In addition to Shonna and Brad (who is coming up on ten years in the band) John Neff will be playing with us full time, playing both guitar and pedal steel. John was a founding member of the band in 96 and has already played on four of our albums and has been on the road with us, full time for going on two years.

It is my sincere and and adamant hope that everyone will support all of us, and by that I mean our band and Jason's, as we deal with this transition. Jason's tenure in this band has been one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me on a personal and musical level and our love for him and his music is in no way changed or endangered by our collective decision to move into different directions.

In addition to the upcoming THE DIRT UNDERNEATH tour and the recording of our next album, we will also be playing some special ROCK SHOW dates this summer and hope to do another leg or two of THE DIRT UNDERNEATH in the fall.

As always, the bond that we have with each other, as well as with the folks that come to our shows and listen to our records has always been one of the things that has set this band apart. We plan to continue on in that tradition and spirit and hope you will come with us as we attempt to tell another tale and Rock the nights away a little while longer.

Sincerely Yours,
    Patterson Hood
    Drive-By Truckers
    April 6, 2007
    Jason's Myspace site had some blogs that initially made it seem like he was given the boot. He's currently on the road with his own band and has his own album coming out in June or July.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Seriously, you are gonna need more than three songs. Three albums maybe. But that ain't gonna cut it either.

Mike Cooley songs:

1. Zip City
    2. Women Without Whiskey

Patterson Hood songs:

1. Living Bubba
    2. Lookout Mountain
    3. Bulldozers and Dirt

Jason Isbell Songs:

1. Decoration Day
    2. Outfit
    3. Goddamn Lonely Love
    Looks like we have a winner here.......I might swap "Bulldozers and Dirt" for "Let There be Rock" or "Wednesday," but other than that...this is the list!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    bharQ wrote:
    I really want to see them but they seem to only tour the southern US.... they would be massive if they came up here!!

It would be a nice change from the typical boring hick country and generic rock at the Calgary Stampede they have here every year..
    Not true....just not touring as much this particular year.....they even hit Europe last year. They had the long tour with the Black Crowes last year.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    tybird wrote:
    Looks like we have a winner here.......I might swap "Bulldozers and Dirt" for "Let There be Rock" or "Wednesday," but other than that...this is the list!!!

You know I almost put Wednesday down on that list, but I have been stuck on Bulldozers since seeing them play it at the Athens show 2 weeks ago.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    You know I almost put Wednesday down on that list, but I have been stuck on Bulldozers since seeing them play it at the Athens show 2 weeks ago.
    and I added "Let There Be Rock" because it's the ringtone on my phone. :D..with "Bon Scott singing let there be rock tour......"
  • FreshTendrilsFreshTendrils Posts: 267
    Zip City
    My Sweet Annette
    Outfit
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262

Bulldozers & Dirt is one of those great creepy DBT songs. Margot & Harold, The Deeper In, and Box of Spiders all fit the bill too.

Lets see, my top 10 played according to iTunes:

Danko/Manuel
    Carl Perkins' Cadillac
    The Day John Henry Died
    Zip City
    Sands of Iwo Jima
    Goddamn Lonely Love
    My Sweet Annette
    Road Cases
    Daylight
    Puttin' People on the Moon

Out of those 10, you gotta get Zip City if only for the classic Cooley line:

"Keep your drawers on, girl, it ain't worth the fight
    By the time you drop them I'll be gone
    And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life"

Pick a Patterson & Isbell song, and you'll be hooked.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Little Bonnie
    Putting People on the Moon
    Decoration Day
    Lookout Mountain
    Where the Devil Dont Stay

Fuck it just go buy the albums man, you need them.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Patterson: "Puttin' People On The Moon", "Sinkhole" or "World of Hurt"

Cooley: "Zip City" or "Where The Devel Don't Stay"

Jason: "Outfit", "Decoration Day" "Goddamn Lonely Love" or a live version of "Dress Blues"

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org