New Clutch dates!

pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
edited February 2008 in Other Music
2 shows at The Middle East! Murder By Death opening!!
http://www.pro-rock.com

2/21/2007 Middle East - Downstairs
Cambridge, MA

(w/ Murder by Death, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, HexMachine)

2/22/2008 Middle East - Downstairs
Cambridge, MA

2/23/2008 Higher Ground
Burlington, VT

2/24/2008 Phoenix
Toronto, ON

2/26/2008 Metro
Chicago, IL

2/27/2008 First Avenue
Minneapolis, MN

2/28/2008 Beaumont Club
Kansas City, MO

2/29/2008 Remington's
Springfield, MO

3/3/2008 Belly Up
Aspen, CO

3/4/2008 The Depot
Salt Lake City, UT

3/5/2008 The Big Easy
Boise, ID

3/6/2008 Wilma Theater
Missoula, MT

3/7/2008 The Showbox
Seattle, WA

3/8/2008 Roseland Theater
Portland, OR

3/10/2008 Slim's
San Francisco, CA

3/11/2008 Slim's
San Francisco, CA

3/12/2008 House of Blues
San Diego, CA

3/13/2008 Henry Fonda Theater
Los Angeles, CA

3/15/2008 Sunshine Theater
Albuquerque, NM

3/17/2008 Cain's Ballroom
Tulsa, OK

3/18/2008 TBA
Sauget, IL

3/19/2008 Bogart's
Cincinnati, OH

3/20/2008 Mr. Small's
Millvale, PA

3/21/2008 The National
Richmond, VA

3/22/2008 Lincoln Theater
Raleigh, NC

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Sweet - curious, these are their headlining shows right? - they're not an opener I hope
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Sweet - curious, these are their headlining shows right? - they're not an opener I hope

All headlining...
  • Clutch is fantastic. Guess I have to go down to Cincy for a show
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Clutch never disappoints. Wish I could make it to one of their 2008 shows. Anyway...

12/30: Steelers whoop Ravens in Baltimore
    12/31: Clutch NYE show in Baltimore
    1/1: Senators crush Capitals in DC

Looks like I know where I'll be in a few weeks!
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Odin wrote:
    12/31: Clutch NYE show in Baltimore

how was that show Odin ?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    how was that show Odin ?

It was wild! Probably the second-best Clutch show I have been to and I have seen them more than any band. The tickets were rather expensive, but I'd rather spend money to see Clutch than to see my favourite teams get their asses handed to them.
  • no dates in the UK....

:(
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    no dates in the UK....

:(

Did you catch them at Download last year?
  • Odin wrote:
    Did you catch them at Download last year?

pfft... OF COURSE!

I was the absolutely wrecked gal at the front singing AT Neil Fallon to Burning Beard :cool:

did you see them on the COC tour a couple of years back? Best. Gig. Ever.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i posted all these date when they were announced a month ago. too bad there are no eastern PA dates.
    did you see them on the COC tour a couple of years back? Best. Gig. Ever.

This was actually the first time I ever saw them. We were in New Orleans for Mardi Gras in 2001 and they were playing at the club across from our hotel (the Howlin' Wolf). Went to see COC and was just as blown away by Clutch. The rest is history...
    pjl44 wrote:
    Went to see COC and was just as blown away by Clutch. The rest is history...

that's a great way to be introduced to this band
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    that's a great way to be introduced to this band

You're not kidding...I'd kill to see that pairing again. (Especially if COC toured with Stanton Moore!)
    Clutch Clutch Clutch

I'm listening to From Beale Street To Oblivion right now, and it rocks!
    Clutch tonight!
    Apparently they asked Mick and Eric to stay home this tour...just the four of them going out. I caught both shows in Boston and it's made for some interesting set lists:

Night One:

Pure Rock Fury
    Profits of Doom
    You Can't Stop Progress
    Power Player
    The Incomparable Mr. Flannery
    Burning Beard
    Child of the City
    New Song 1
    Red Horse Rainbow (!)
    The Elephant Riders
    New Song 2
    King of Arizona
    The House that Peterbilt
    Cypress Grove
    A Shogun Named Marcus
    Electric Worry-One-Eye Dollar

Encore
    Who's Been Talking?
    Big News I
    Big News II

Night Two:

Mercury
    Profits of Doom
    The Mob Goes Wild
    Immortal
    Sea of Destruction
    Child of the City
    The Soapmakers
    Basket of Eggs
    Mice and Gods
    Eight Times Over Miss October
    The Regulator
    Bruce Bigsby
    The Devil and Me
    Texan Book of the Dead
    Big Fat Pig
    Last Orbit
    Animal Farm
    The House That Peterbilt

Encore
    Power Player
    Promoter
    pjl44, I heard some good things about the shows at the Middle East. I saw the setlists too, but honestly I just got into these guys over the last year and only know their new album.

Got hooked when I saw them at Bonnaroo last year!

Edit: The main reason I'm going is for the drums...their drummer was unbelievable when I saw them.
  • Red Lukin wrote:
    pjl44, I heard some good things about the shows at the Middle East. I saw the setlists too, but honestly I just got into these guys over the last year and only know their new album.

Do yourself a favor and pick up Blast Tyrant, Elephant Riders, and the album Clutch.

Slow Hole To China is another excellent album, but you can only get that at their shows.

Once you have those digested pick up Robot Hive/Exodus and Pure Rock Fury.

Transnational Speedway League is more hardcore and less groove based than their later works. Not my cup of tea, but some folks go nuts for that sort of thing.

Stay away from Live At The Googleplex. A piss poor live album if there ever was one. For live Cluch, go with Live In Flint or Heard It All Before, if you can find them.

Another disc worth getting is Bakerton Group's self titled release. It's Clutch minus Neil Fallon doing instrumental tracks.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I actually almost picked up some of their albums at a music store recently, but found their stuff in the Metal section. I mean I don't hate metal, but I heard Clutch was pretty heavy in the past. The last thing I wanted to do was buy an album that I didn't like (as not much of my collection is Metal per se).

What are Clutch, Blast and Elephant like? Are the drums just as good and groovy?
  • Blast Tyrant would be a good one to start with. They still pull heavily from it for their sets, and it is an all around awesome album. Similar in production to Beale Street, but less bluesy. Some highlights from that one are Regulator (which is bluesy), Promoter, La Curandera, and Cypress Grove. The later is usually streched out live with some guitar madness from Tim and Bryan (guitar tech).

Elephant Riders was produced by Jack Douglas, and sounds like it. It's a fun album with a lot of grooves in there. It's a logical and friendlier progression from the self titled disc. The title track, Ship of Gold, The Soapmakers, and Dragonfly are my favorites from that one. There are three unlisted bonus tracks that were added to the album. The only problem is you don't know which of the three you get until you listen to the album.

The self titled album is a classic. Heavy tunes with a groove to them. Neil uses more of a growl/Cookie Monster tone with his vocals, but it works on some of the tunes. Spacegrass seems to be the most known song off of this one, but never gets played any more. Never really got the big deal around it anyway. Big News I and II, Escape From The Prison Planet, I Have The Body of John Wilkes Booth, and the closing 7 Jam and Tim Sult vs. The Greys are highlights. JP (drums) really shines on the Big News.

Slow Hole To China is only available through their website and at shows, but is well worth finding. The title track and Sea of Destruction are brutal. Oregon is trippy, and seems to foreshadow the Blast Tyrant/Robot Hive era. Hoodoo Operator has a bit of a delta feel to it. Willie Nelson and Easy Breeze are a pair of fun tunes. Guild of Mute Assassins is the true highlight though. A six+ minute monster with a killer groove to it.

Pure Rock Fury is one to wait on. Open Up The Border, Red Horse Rainbow, and the title track are cool, but the rest is forgettable at best, and lame at worst. Probably their weakest album. The production is very harsh, with a very loud and compressed sound.

Transnational Speedway League is more of a hardcore album. Very different from everything else they've done. The still pull out A Shogun Named Marcus every now and again. Rats is pretty cool as well. Like I said above, for the most part it's not really my thing.

Jam Room lives up to its title. A lot of short little jams put on tape. It almost feels like a collection of well polished demos and ideas. One Eye Dollar was originally released on this album, and is pretty typical of what would be found on it. Going to Market is a JP drum solo, which may be of interest. Basket of Eggs is dark and haunting. Release The Kraken takes them into some dub territory, which is interesting.

I never warmed up to Robot Hive/Exodus. It feels like the "Son of Blast Tyrant", in that it covers little new ground and the songwriting wasn't up to par with the albums on either side of it. Their cover of Gravel Road is badass, but that's all that really does it for me. They do pull heavily from this one for their sets though, so it may be worth checking out. The Incomparable Mr. Flannery, Burning Beard, Never Be Moved, 10001110101, Mice And Gods, Pulaski Skyway, and Who's Been Talking all pop up in the sets from show to show.

There are a couple of EP's and non-album tracks floating about too. Some of the EP's pre-date Transnational and are more of the hard core Clutch, as opposed to the groove-metal-blues hybrid they've become. What Would A Wookie Do is a RH/E outtake that kicks ass. King of Arizona is a tune that was released on a Bam Margrita compilation last year, and is also worth seeking out. Very Beale Street sounding.
    Wow Vacant, nice album reviews. I just may take you up on your suggestions. Maybe I'll pick up an album or two at the show tonight if the price is right. If not maybe I'll dl a couple albums to get a feel, then buy what sounds good.

I'm really hoping to hear Burning Beard and The Devil and Me tonight. It looks like they mix up their setlists a lot, so who knows what they'll play. Either way I'm just hoping for a couple of good drum solos, which I'm sure I'll get.

I may put up a small review tomorrow (if I'm not too tired from the lack of sleep I'll get)...
  • Trust me, get Slow Hole and Heard It All Before at the show, if you can.

The setlist for Heard It All Before pulls a little from the whole catalog, including an opening dose of Bakerton Group. JP does a solo to segue Soapmakers into Burning Beard too.
    Hey Vacant, I actually only saw a couple of cd's last night. I got there pretty late, so could be why. Plus they were $20..ouch.

By the time I got in Murder for Death was on their 2nd last song, so I didn't have to wait long to see Clutch. I actually planned to get there to see MFD, but timed it wrong. Clutch were awesome. The drummer totally reminds me of John Bonham - he plays to effortlessly, and can really groove. If there was anything to complain about it would be the length of the show and the fans. The fans basically turned half of the of the place into a mosh pit and didn't stop. I mean I have nothing against moshing, but to run from one side to the other until you knock into as many people as you can is pretty rude. Especially when you smell like shit. Also, Clutch only played for 75 minutes..pretty weak IMO, but then again it's been a while since I've been to a show like that where they have 4 bands playing (festivals aside).

The positives: The mosh pit started 15 minutes before they hit the stage. It was pretty cool. There was nothing like it. I've never seen ppl get so excited and loud on a Sunday night - literally they were screaming, pushing, shoving all in good fun. One thing I love about Clutch is they can play anything and sound good. They would rock really hard then play blues and it all sounded great.
    hey Vacant, great Clutch discriptions. although i LOVE Robot Hive/Exodus i can see how some might not dig it as much. no eastern PA shows this tour which kind of annoys me but oh well.

i think you can get Slow Hole To China through their webstore. i picked it up on vinyl at one of my last shows... it actually has all the lyrics to the songs not just Guild of Mute Assassins like the cd version.
  • no eastern PA shows this tour which kind of annoys me but oh well.

We'll get ours eventually.

Red Lukin wrote:
    Also, Clutch only played for 75 minutes..pretty weak IMO, but then again it's been a while since I've been to a show like that where they have 4 bands playing (festivals aside).

Which is why I'm not too bummed about missing this go around. They usually do between 90 and 100 minutes. I think I read the shows with Kamchakta opening are going to have 120 minute sets from Clutch. I wish they would do another Evening With.... tour. Bakerton opening, and then two sets of Clutch.
    anyone seeing them on their latest leg of the tour

I am thinking of going to see them in Flint Michigan on April 12th by myself
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    their sets this tour are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!

The Yeti
    Basket of Eggs
    Wishbone
    Immortal

just to name a few!
  • first CLUTCH show coming up in a couple weeks. im pumped to say the least. i got into these guys like a year ago and have been playing all their stuff like mad ever since. even got my little brother into'em.
    first CLUTCH show coming up in a couple weeks. im pumped to say the least. i got into these guys like a year ago and have been playing all their stuff like mad ever since. even got my little brother into'em.
    you will have a fantastic time. don't drink too much though... a problem i always seem to have at a Clutch show!