Beastie Boys - Always read the fine print

pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I was very excited to score two tickets to see the Beastie Boys at the Boston Opera House.

I was less than excited when I later found that it will be a "special instrumental set."

Does anyone know more details? In my limited research it appears they will be doing a few of these shows. Will they be entirely instrumental or just one set? Probably all good questions to ask BEFORE purchasing tickets, but this kinda came as a surprise.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    All imstrumental. Get their new album, "The Mix-Up" it's awesome. I'd love to see their instrumental show.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    All imstrumental. Get their new album, "The Mix-Up" it's awesome. I'd love to see their instrumental show.

Well...did a little more research and I guess it's not ALL instrumental, but definitely not a normal set. They want people dressing up, too, which is kinda cool.

Not a big fan of their instrumentals and haven't been reading good things about The Mix-Up. Should be a unique experience, though...
  • quasiquasi Posts: 492
    Well, I went to the "Instrumental" set at Sasquatch (first night was instrumental, second regular) and they did plenty of rapping on the "instrumental" night. Sabotage, Remote Control etc. But, they didn't do anything like "Intergalactic", "Triple Trouble" or any of my favorites. Here was the setlist from the "Instrumental Show" warmup show at the Crocodile the night before (set was essentially the same for Sasquatch Day 1):

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/317431_beasties26.html

B For My Name
    Sabarosa
    Live at PJ's
    Do It
    Electric Worm
    Transitions
    Son of Neckbone
    Something's Got To Give
    Off the Grid
    Root Down/Get It
    Egg Raid On Mojo
    Tough Guy
    Remote Control
    Mark On the Bus
    Shambala
    Ricky's Theme
    Pow!
    Jimmy James/Happy Birthday
    Sabotage

ENCORE
    Sure Shot
    Time For Living
    Heart Attack Man
    The Maestro
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Dude that is an awesome setlist. That show looks killer.
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    If you are that uninformed and did not know this tour is all instrumental (especially given the new album) then you really need to whack yourself in the head with a mini sledgehammer.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
    azwyldcats wrote:
    If you are that uninformed and did not know this tour is all instrumental (especially given the new album) then you really need to whack yourself in the head with a mini sledgehammer.

Apparently you're as uninformed as I am (so you can have the sledgehammer when I'm finished with it). They are doing regular shows and some "Gala" shows. The Gala shows appear to be in smaller venues and tend to favor their weirder/instrumental material, but are by no means all-instrumental.

I received an e-mail about tickets going on sale for the Beastie Boys at the Boston Opera House. It gave no indication that there was anything unique about the show...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    pjl44 wrote:
    Apparently you're as uninformed as I am (so you can have the sledgehammer when I'm finished with it). They are doing regular shows and some "Gala" shows. The Gala shows appear to be in smaller venues and tend to favor their weirder/instrumental material, but are by no means all-instrumental.

I received an e-mail about tickets going on sale for the Beastie Boys at the Boston Opera House. It gave no indication that there was anything unique about the show...

The emails mentioned the it was a "gala event"
    they previously sent out emails clarifying what that meant, but I agree it was less than clear, and it took me a minute to figure it all out

I passed on the Hammerstein "Gala" and if anybody has extra tix to central park, I need two! Gracias.
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I saw them at the Croc. It was cool, but when they do sabotage and sureshot, you just wonder what could have been. The instrumental stuff has a good vibe, but tends to sound the same after awhile. I could only imagine seeing a normal set from them at a small venue like that. I wouldn't pay more than $50, I'd just wait for their next tour.
    Get_Right wrote:
    The emails mentioned the it was a "gala event"
    they previously sent out emails clarifying what that meant, but I agree it was less than clear, and it took me a minute to figure it all out

I passed on the Hammerstein "Gala" and if anybody has extra tix to central park, I need two! Gracias.

The e-mail alert I got was through Live Nation and gives no indication whatsoever that there is anything unique about the show. (Considering the source, should I be surprised?) I'm guessing you got something from the band directly...I'm not on their mailing list.

Well, we'll see...