7/10 = Huge for new releases

pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Newbury Comics will be happy to see me coming Tuesday. Pumpkins, Interpol, Jason Isbell, Patton Oswalt. I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting/not aware of. Hot damn I'm excited...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Boston's own .... BUFFALO TOM!

Cannot wait to see them live again!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Jason Isbell.....sounds like a trip to the record store for me too.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Ill be buying Interpol over Smashing Pumpkins
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    The most important of all: SPOON!
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    Smashing Pumpkins and Interpol are the ones I've been dying for. I'm salivating just thinking about it.
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    if you're going to waste money on somebody as talentless as Patton Oswalt, I hope you at least already have all of Bill Hicks' records.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Spoon has a new record on 7/10?

Hot damn!
  • Monkees "Headquarters" and "Pisces Aquarius" deluxe editions! Oh yeah!
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Operator's debut album Soulcrusher.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • I don't know if Patton Oswalt is something to be excited about, but OK.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    MLC2006 wrote:
    if you're going to waste money on somebody as talentless as Patton Oswalt, I hope you at least already have all of Bill Hicks' records.

Bill Hicks is great, as is Patton Oswalt. If you're going to be all snobby about Hicks, then I would assume you're familiar with Doug Stanhope...
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    pjl44 wrote:
    Bill Hicks is great, as is Patton Oswalt. If you're going to be all snobby about Hicks, then I would assume you're familiar with Doug Stanhope...

Doug Stanhope is pretty awful in my opinion, but yes, I'm familiar with him. how am I acting "snobby" about Bill Hicks? because I think Oswalt is a hack and basically a Bill Hicks wannabe?

I like Hicks, Sam Kinison, Dave Attell, Bill Schimmel, David Cross (another Hicks knockoff, but at least he's somewhat funny), etc.

I occasionally buy comedy records just on a whim, and Patton Oswalt's first album was one of those whims. I'd never heard of him and had no idea he's on that show "King of Queens". I just bought the record on a whim and it was awful. I found Dane Cook that same way, buying on a whim, and it was awful as well. Todd Barry was another I bought on a whim and thought he was pretty awful as well.

Dave Attell is probably one of the only ones that I picked up at random and turned out loving it. there are 2 other relatively young comedians that I like, but I can't think of them right off.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Smashing Pumpkins All The Way Baby!!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I'll be picking Jason Isbell's disc and the Flaming Lips U.F.O.'s at the Zoo live DVD.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    merkinball wrote:
    and the Flaming Lips U.F.O.'s at the Zoo live DVD.

Holy shit, that comes out 7/10? That's like automatically #1 for me.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Holy shit, that comes out 7/10? That's like automatically #1 for me.

Well, the lips site has it for 7/10, but Amazon says 7/24. Either way, its a must have.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    Against Me - New Wave too...although not sure how great it'll be.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • merkinball wrote:
    Well, the lips site has it for 7/10, but Amazon says 7/24. Either way, its a must have.

Thanks for the head's up! Will be picking this up. Saw them for the first time in September of 06 at the NY State Fair and they were amazing.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    it is easy...pumpkins baby
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    MLC2006 wrote:
    Doug Stanhope is pretty awful in my opinion, but yes, I'm familiar with him. how am I acting "snobby" about Bill Hicks? because I think Oswalt is a hack and basically a Bill Hicks wannabe?

I like Hicks, Sam Kinison, Dave Attell, Bill Schimmel, David Cross (another Hicks knockoff, but at least he's somewhat funny), etc.

I occasionally buy comedy records just on a whim, and Patton Oswalt's first album was one of those whims. I'd never heard of him and had no idea he's on that show "King of Queens". I just bought the record on a whim and it was awful. I found Dane Cook that same way, buying on a whim, and it was awful as well. Todd Barry was another I bought on a whim and thought he was pretty awful as well.

Dave Attell is probably one of the only ones that I picked up at random and turned out loving it. there are 2 other relatively young comedians that I like, but I can't think of them right off.

It felt snobby because I already know I'm not "wasting" my money on Patton Oswalt's album. I'm a huge fan. I'd rather buy my second one of his than a sixth Hicks album (and I'm not sure I see him being a Hicks clone, but fine).

With that list of comics, I'm really surprised you're not into Stanhope more. Not sure what you've heard, but Deadbeat Hero is fucking brilliant and a great place to start. Easily the edgiest comedian I've ever heard. I laughed more the second and third time through that record because I was wincing so much on the first listen. I strongly suggest you give him another chance.

And if there's a Mount Rushmore of comedy, Dave Attell should be on it.
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Paper Rival's new EP is being released but you can only get it through their label, Smart Punk.

5 bucks

Gotta love what the Internet has done for music.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    Isbell, Spoon, Buffalo Tom, and M. Ward reissue...
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • I've still got to get some records that I have being planning on buying but haven't bought yet....eg Dream Theater and a couple of others. Buying music is still too expensive. I'll buy the Pumpkins and Interpol at some stage.....
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?