Reznor slams Corgan

pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,218
edited August 2007 in Other Music
NINE INCH NAILS' REZNOR Slams 'Corporate' SMASHING PUMPKINS - Aug. 27, 2007

The Pulse of Radio (formerly Launch Radio Networks) reports: NINE INCH NAILS frontman Trent Reznor slammed the reactivated SMASHING PUMPKINS on Friday (August 24), just hours before his group played directly before the PUMPKINS at the Leeds portion of the U.K.'s Carling Weekend: Reading and Leeds festivals. According to NME.com, Reznor took issue with PUMPKINS founder Billy Corgan not reuniting the band's original lineup, saying, "I was never a big SMASHING PUMPKINS fan back when they were the PUMPKINS, not to shit on Billy or anything but I don't hear anything that would make me want to care. I think trying to resurrect the name SMASHING PUMPKINS... it's all a bit corporate for me."

NINE INCH NAILS was also scheduled to appear right before the PUMPKINS on Sunday night (August 26) at the Reading portion of the event.

Reznor also said that he wasn't impressed with the festival's overall lineup, adding, "I heard the lineup for another day and that sounded a lot better than the lineup on the day we are playing, so I doubt you will see me on the side of the stage for FALL OUT BOY!"

NINE INCH NAILS is touring in support of its latest record, "Year Zero", while the new PUMPKINS are promoting "Zeitgeist", the first collection of all-new material under the band's name since 2000.

Aside from Corgan, drummer Jimmy Chamberlin is the only original member of the PUMPKINS performing with the group.

1. I guess when you're a one-man band you don't have to worry about being a hypocrite here.
2. For all intents and purposes can we agree that Billy and Jimmy = 90% of the Pumpkins? I'll slide James 10...
3. Zeitgeist > Year Zero
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    I love the album and I can't wait to see them live.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• A. It's pretty well known that Corgan wrote the songs anyway.

B. How many times has NIN had a lineup change?

I love NIN but, Trent is off base on this one.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Yea this has always been one of Reznor's problems...he's said so many things that just didn't need to be said. And he is a total hypocrite for saying it. I love his music, but he's being ridiculous there. Corgan has every right to use the Smashing Pumpkins name, because it doesn't matter who else is in that band anyway (as long as they can follow his lead). It's the same for NIN.

But Zeitgeist still sounds shitty to me.
  • i think his comments are being blown up a bit. reading what he said opposed to the headline, he didn't really blast them. just stating his opinion. i don't think Billy's sweating over it. trent IS nine inch nails, the only line-up changes are for the touring NIN. he writes and performs all of the studio material. not really the same. i may be alone hear but the pumpkins aren't the same without d'arcy and james.

i love both bands, but to me year zero >>>>> zeitgeist. but that's my opinion.

he did blast FOB though, which is fine with me.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• pjl44 wrote:
    3. Zeitgeist > Year Zero [/b]

I strongly disagree with you there but I respect your opinion.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I wouldnt take it too seriously. I just find it great that Trent repeatedly bashes Fall Out Boy. By the way, as much as I love NIN, I think that Year Zero grew stale fairly quickly. Unlike their other albums, I became disinterested with it after a couple weeks of regular listening. I still think it has some awesome individual songs on it, I love Survivalism and The Greater Good is one of the coolest instrumentals I have heard in years.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Year Zero is the worst album Trents ever made. He should have taken his regular 5 years and come up with a good album. I'm glad Trent took time out to slam Fall Out Boy though.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Trent is to NIN what Billy is to SP. I'm amazed he doesn't get that.

Whatever, right?

He's probably just upset that Billy was able to take 6 years off and still play headliner over his NIN.

Let's not forget trent enjoys smack talking on the ol' PJ as well. He's still pretty much the balls whatever he wants to say.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Why are we supposed to care what these big-headed millionaire pricks think about each other? It's like watching Trump and Rosie. Nobody cares!
  • Trent has always been notorious for bashing other artists he can't stand. I've always liked that, but it leaves him open to critism and makes him more of an outsider. I'm glad he said it though, because it's true. But it's nothing new. He's had a beef with Billy since the 90's. I'm just glad someone had the courage to speak out.
  • Good. Billy is a whiny punk anyway. Good to see Reznor take him down a notch.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Trent Reznor is the only member of Nine Inch Nails. So they have never changed line up. His live band has changed a lot, however.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    what has Trent said about PJ?
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Good. Billy is a whiny punk anyway. Good to see Reznor take him down a notch.

MFC Corigan and Reznor in the Octagon!!!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Hawkshore wrote:

That would be a quick fight.
  • That would be a quick fight.

billy could take his whole band in and it will still be over in 10 seconds hehe

D'arcy and James were always my favs in the Pumpkins so I'd have to agree with trent on this one.
  • While I love both musicians, I have to completely disagree with Reznor on this one. I mean, Corgan and Chamberlin were 90% of the Pumpkins (as previously stated) and Trent's even changed his lineup on tours. Plus Zeitgeist is the album of the year and I can't wait to see the Pumpkins live next month!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Trent is to NIN what Billy is to SP. I'm amazed he doesn't get that.
    Not really. Smashing Pumpkins were a band, no matter how important Billy was to that. NIN were never really a band.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I love both bands, I saw them both live in the last couple months...and although Zeitgeist and Year Zero ARE NOTHING SPECIAL in their catalogue (maybe their worst releases) IMHO their shows were FLAWLESS, really!!!
    I did not miss D'arcy and James: Jimmy's drums are as powerful as possible, Billy has not changed anything at all so if you like SP, don't hesitate, go out and see them - there should be no excuses!!!

Yes, and what the fuck did Trent has said about PJ???:mad:
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Ricsard wrote:
    I love both bands, I saw them both live in the last couple months...and although Zeitgeist and Year Zero ARE NOTHING SPECIAL in their catalogue (maybe their worst releases) IMHO their shows were FLAWLESS, really!!!
    I did not miss D'arcy and James: Jimmy's drums are as powerful as possible, Billy has not changed anything at all so if you like SP, don't hesitate, go out and see them - there should be no excuses!!!

That's what I've been curious to know. I know someone mentioned here a while back that Reznor stated he didn't like their music but that was it. I'd like to know specifically what he has said about Pearl Jam....

Oh yeah, and Corgan has gone out of his way and said nothing good about Pearl Jam and some of the other great bands from the 90's, so more props to Billy!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Ricsard wrote:

just found this, an old interview with Trent

L: But don't you have a responsibility to yourself as a musician, let alone to your fans?

T: Absolutely I do. I'm saying if I did that I'd feel shitty about selling a lot of records. But I've made the records I've wanted to make. And if a lot of people want to buy them, then who am I to say they're not cool enough to buy my records. You're a nerd. You're from Pennsylvania, you can't buy this. I grew up there! I was one of those guys who wasn't cool enough. It's music. If you don't like it, the Pearl Jam record is right there on the shelf. Buy it! It's for people like you.

L: What do you listen to?

T: Pearl Jam.

L: Alright.

T: I fucking hate Pearl Jam.

link: http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/axc94a.shtml
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,218
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Smashing Pumpkins were a band, no matter how important Billy was to that.

So much so that Billy recorded most of the guitar and bass parts himself...

Edit: I guess the point I'm trying to make is that, as a "band," the Pumpkins have always been more Nine Inch Nails than, say, Pearl Jam.
  • TheGossman wrote:
    just found this, an old interview with Trent

L: But don't you have a responsibility to yourself as a musician, let alone to your fans?

T: Absolutely I do. I'm saying if I did that I'd feel shitty about selling a lot of records. But I've made the records I've wanted to make. And if a lot of people want to buy them, then who am I to say they're not cool enough to buy my records. You're a nerd. You're from Pennsylvania, you can't buy this. I grew up there! I was one of those guys who wasn't cool enough. It's music. If you don't like it, the Pearl Jam record is right there on the shelf. Buy it! It's for people like you.

L: What do you listen to?

T: Pearl Jam.

L: Alright.

T: I fucking hate Pearl Jam.

link: http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/axc94a.shtml

I think back in '94 a lot of people hated Pearl Jam, because they were everywhere, unquestionably the biggest rock band on the planet at that point - and a lot of people just hated that mainstream aspect of it. I'd be willing to bet Reznor at least respects the band now, since they've proved all the cynics wrong and have stood the test of time.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with what he's saying about the Pumpkins, but NIN were better at Reading this year.
  • nin are one of the best bands in the world both live and on cd. smashing pumpkins aren't. they are possibly the worst live band i have ever seen in 25 years of concert-going (with possibly the exception of megadeth, although its a close run thing).

mr reznor has not once released a duff piece of music. after their 1st 3 albums smashing pumpkins went dramatically downhill, especially after mr corgan announced that rock music was dead. billy went off, formed zwan, who were crap, made a solo record which was crap and, deciding he needed to raise his profile again, decided to reform the only successful thing he has ever been involved with. and zeitgesit is a terrible record... a pale shadow of the pumpkins of gish, siamese twins and melancholy.

to cite nin line-up changes is a pointless argument. nin IS trent reznor. he writes and records the music himself with the occasional guest musician helping out. he then puts a group together to play that music live. they are members of a touring band. that's all. smashing pumpkins is now billy, the drummer and some hired hands. he couldn't even be bothered to try and reunite the original band, although after some of the things he has said in the past about james and d'arcy i doubt the would have bothered anyway!

trent is quite correct in what he has said and nin blew the pumpkins out of the field at reading!
  • Hawkshore wrote:

Reznor woould kick his ass. Have you seen how ripped he is?
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • I think NIN playing BEFORE the Smashing Pumpkins has to be a complete joke. I know Smashing Pumpkins reunion may be a big deal, but it's Nine Inch Nails?!?!! I mean come on!

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• NIN cannot hold a candle to the Pumpkins now or ever. Corgan was/is the soul of the pumpkins.

I am not even a huge Pumpkins fan, but they shit all over NIN. And Reznor chases the pop dream just like the Pumpkins or RHCP or whoever. IMO, his smack talk makes him look like a dumbass
  • NickyNooch wrote:
    I think NIN playing BEFORE the Smashing Pumpkins has to be a complete joke. I know Smashing Pumpkins reunion may be a big deal, but it's Nine Inch Nails?!?!! I mean come on!

I don't know if it is a joke. They were both huge in the 90's. I guess NIN is more relevent now, but the Pumpkins have nostolgia on there side. You can make an arguement for either one headlining.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • I don't know if it is a joke. They were both huge in the 90's. I guess NIN is more relevent now, but the Pumpkins have nostolgia on there side. You can make an arguement for either one headlining.

That you can, but Corgan made the mistake of thinking people would lap up any old shit, hence we were 'treated' to 15 minute renditions of Heavy Metal Machine and Glass and the Ghost Children - both of which were never that good in the first place. NIN on the other hand manged to play a mix of everything, didn't get boring, and the version of Hurt at the end was among the very best I've ever heard.
  • pjl44 wrote:

3. Zeitgeist > Year Zero [/b]

HA! thats funny, i do not respect your opinion but do understand you are entitled to one.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24