Ryan Adams

FatalFootstepsFatalFootsteps Posts: 46
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Can anyone suggest an album of his for someone just starting to get into him?
Thanks
Things were different then. All is different now.
I tried to explain. Somehow.

Hamilton 05
Halifax 05
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bossman3188bossman3188 Posts: 263
    his new one is amazing

oh and emolition is pretty good as well
    there'll be time for laughin'
    there's no time to cry
    soon i will be leavin'
    look me in the eye
    no matter what's in front of me
    it's your face that i'll see
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Heartbreaker or Whiskeytown's Stranger's Almanac.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,103
    Ryan Adams is a very interesting character in the sense that all his albums seem to be totally different from the last - and not limited to one genre. If you like country - Jacksonville City Nights is great. For a rock album, choose Demolition. For a mellow album - 29. For a reason why Ryan Adams is such a phenominal songwriter - Heartbreaker, an epic album. My two favourites? Heartbreaker and 29.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    it depends on what type of music you like, my favorite is Love is Hell because I like more alternative rock- though Gold is still probably his biggest hit. I never got into Jacksonville City because it was too country for me. But it's funny because every one of his albums is different- for instance Rock N Roll is a straight garage rock album. But the song The Shadowlands on Love is Hell easily makes that his best album- it's so different in fact that Lost Highway wouldn't let him release as a LP so he had to release 2 EPs, but it turned out to he one of his biggest critical hits. It almost sounds Radioheadish
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    *sighs*
    ryan adams. i took to him immediately. i can not be unbiased when it comes to this man and his music. i would start with gold and then love is hell. then easy tiger and strangers almanac. cold roses as well. after that tis up to you. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Start with Gold, i was hooked after that.
    Cant touch the bottom...

London 96.
    Manchester 00.
    London 07.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Gold was my first and hooked me so that. Heartbreaker is probably his best though.

Still don't get Love is Hell. I just don't see what seemingly everyone else does in it, apart from Shadowlands which is amazing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I actually saw him live in Burlinton Vt in '07 before I bought any of his cd's! The song that hooked me was "Halloween Head" after seeing him live I went out and bought everything in his discography.... I've also stumbled upon many of his demo cd's and b-sides(you can find them if you look around!) Anyway I would say start with Easy Tiger and work backwards!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Start anywhere you want. You really can't go wrong with Ryan Adams!!
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Gold was my first and hooked me so that. Heartbreaker is probably his best though.

Still don't get Love is Hell. I just don't see what seemingly everyone else does in it, apart from Shadowlands which is amazing.

I'm with you. "Shadowlands" and a number of other songs are great, but that album contains some real clunkers. My biggest problem with the album is "Political Scientist." Not a good idea to start an album with (in my opinion) the weakest song on the record.

But then I dislike about 90% of Easy Tiger while so many fans consider it to be a comeback of sorts. I used to be one of the people who think the guy could do no wrong, but my opinion has changed over the last year or two.:(
  • Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    I will say, like everyone else, you get a little bit of a different Ryan Adams depending on the album you pick up.

I would suggest Gold, Heartbreaker or a Whiskeytown album, such as Strangers Almanac or Pneumonia.
  • ISUalISUal Posts: 40
    Stranger's Almanac is the shit! Easy Tiger is very good, and I also enjoy Jacksonville City Nights, and Gold. Really, you can't go wrong, but do get a taste, I would start with Stranger's Almanac or Easy Tiger.
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
  • newfiegirlnewfiegirl Posts: 40
    whiskeytown's pneumonia is also awesome imo.

oops just noticed that Chris1401 already mentioned it.
    2003 - Vancouver May 30th
    2005 - Montreal Sept 15th; Ottawa Sept 16th; St. John's, NL Sept 24th; St. John's, NL Sept 25th
    2006 - Albany, NY May 12th; Hartford, CT May 13th
    2008 - Montreal Aug 9th and Montreal Aug 10th (EV Solo)
  • Can anyone suggest an album of his for someone just starting to get into him?
    Thanks
    get the one with Summer of '69 on it. CLASSIC! Hope this helps
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    get the one with Summer of '69 on it. CLASSIC! Hope this helps

that would be Bryan Adams...:p

Well I got hooked with Gold. I have been listening to Cold Roses a lot too. Which I would recommend.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • libragirl wrote:
    that would be Bryan Adams...:p

Well I got hooked with Gold. I have been listening to Cold Roses a lot too. Which I would recommend.
    well the song still kicks ass and he/she wouldn't be bummed to own that masterpiece :)
  • I started off with Gold and that got me hooked, get that first or either
    soclose wrote:
    Heartbreaker or Whiskeytown's Stranger's Almanac.

Strangers is the best Whiskeytown record, totally kicks ass

After that Cold Roses (2 discs and is great the whole way through) and Love Is Hell.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I would go with Cold Roses or Heartbreaker, both incredible records.

After that Cold Roses (2 discs and is great the whole way through) and Love Is Hell.

I agree with you on Cold Roses. Usually when people make a 2 disc (RHCP) album their is some filler songs. Imo this is one of the rare ones where all the songs are great.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    well the song still kicks ass and he/she wouldn't be bummed to own that masterpiece :)

oh yeah I agree...he had some good songs...

just don't go requesting them at at Ryan Adams show...that doesn't go well. :p
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Start with Gold, i was hooked after that.
    Gold is a great one to start with.

nobody girl is such a great song
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    nobody girl is one of the best songs on Gold imo.
    libragirl wrote:
    nobody girl is one of the best songs on Gold imo.

ooh yes. i love love love singing along with this one. quite a fan of sylvia plath as well. :)

oh heck im gonna put it one now. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    ooh yes. i love love love singing along with this one. quite a fan of sylvia plath as well. :)

oh heck im gonna put it one now. :D

sylvia plath took a while for me...but I do appreciate now. He is just a remarkable songwriter imo
    libragirl wrote:
    sylvia plath took a while for me...but I do appreciate now. He is just a remarkable songwriter imo

he just makes me sigh. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I love Gold, Heartbreaker, Rock N Roll and Love is Hell!!! It all depends on the mood :) A few of my fav tunes are "Cry on Demand" "Come Pick Me Up"

Another one of my fav tunes . . . Answering Bell :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIPJW5SIeo8

Enjoy . . .

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20format%3Amp3%20AND%20creator%3A%22Ryan%20Adams%22&sort=-avg_rating%3B-num_reviews
    Come Pick Me Up is my absolute fav off of heartbreaker. That song is just awesome. I know a lot of people don't like Rock N Roll, but I thought it was good..just different.

I love Gold, Heartbreaker, Rock N Roll and Love is Hell!!! It all depends on the mood :) A few of my fav tunes are "Cry on Demand" "Come Pick Me Up"

Another one of my fav tunes . . . Answering Bell :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIPJW5SIeo8

Enjoy . . .

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20format%3Amp3%20AND%20creator%3A%22Ryan%20Adams%22&sort=-avg_rating%3B-num_reviews
  • godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    thunderDAN wrote:
    But the song The Shadowlands on Love is Hell easily makes that his best album- it's so different in fact that Lost Highway wouldn't let him release as a LP so he had to release 2 EPs, but it turned out to he one of his biggest critical hits. It almost sounds Radioheadish

Hotel Chelsea Nights is just an awesome song. period. Have you heard the 2 disc Japanese version of Love is Hell?
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • btesusanbtesusan Posts: 1
    I'm a huge Ryan fan so I'd say start with Rock N' Roll - and then work either forwards or backwards. He runs the gamut on most music genres so something will work for you.
  • libragirl wrote:
    oh yeah I agree...he had some good songs...

just don't go requesting them at at Ryan Adams show...that doesn't go well. :p
    well probably not going to be at either one of their shows, but if I was, you know I'd be hollerin'.... SUMMER OF '69, SUMMER OD '69, no matter who it was ;)

who the hell is Ryan Adams anyway?