Tom Waits

FatalFootstepsFatalFootsteps Posts: 46
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on some good Tom Waits songs, something for a first time listener.
What would be a good album to buy???
Thanks
Things were different then. All is different now.
I tried to explain. Somehow.

Hamilton 05
Halifax 05
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WESWES Posts: 168
    mule variations is a great album. Raindogs is essential
  • bone machine

there are too many bad ass tunes on that!

aiiiiiiiii
  • Downtown Train This is off Raindogs. I dunno - I started off with Used Songs, a greatest hits album from his early years.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    The Early Years Vol. 2

My girlfriend got me into waits with that cd
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    start with the entire nighthawks at the diner album. it's a live album from his early 70s, drunk, funny, piano-playing days.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Mule Variations will get you off to a good start, lots of variety on that disc.

Franks Wild Years, Rain Dogs, and Used Songs all have great tracks too.

I'm just starting to get into Alice, had it for awhile, and it never grabbed me, but I'm starting to come around.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I'd start with his early stuff and then gradually work my way up to the weirder, more experimental material. "The Early Years Vol. 1" was the CD that first got me hooked. After that there was no looking back. The man is a goddamn genius.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    His most accessible album is probably "Heart of a Saturday Night" or "Closing Time" but his finest I feel are "Raindogs" & "Swordfishtrombones",
  • Rain Dogs, Mule Variations, Invitation to the Blues, Nighthawks at the Diner, and Bone Machine are my recommendations. His best island years stuff and that crazy fucking improv blues/jazz phase. :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I am kind of new to Tom Waits. I hear a lot of people don't like it, but I can't stop listening to Real Gone. Got some real gems in there.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,850
    I have never understood why people like this guy
    second worst voice ever-he may be a good song writer
    but he hurts my ears
  • Get_Right wrote:
    I have never understood why people like this guy
    second worst voice ever-he may be a good song writer
    but he hurts my ears

It's definitely a love it or leave it voice. I just happen to love it.:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    buy Swordfishtrombones

i didn't care for Nighthawks.