Options

Bruce Springsteen

FatalFootstepsFatalFootsteps Posts: 46
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Hey
Can anyone tell me some good Springsteen stuff to get, i want to listen to stuff besides, Dancing in the dark, born in the usa, etc.
Thanks
Things were different then. All is different now.
I tried to explain. Somehow.

Hamilton 05
Halifax 05
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Hey
    Can anyone tell me some good Springsteen stuff to get, i want to listen to stuff besides, Dancing in the dark, born in the usa, etc.
    Thanks

start with

Born To Run

Greetings From Asbury Park

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=181067&page=5
    & enjoy !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    start with

Born To Run

Born to Run is great. Also check out “The Essential Bruce Springsteen”. It’s a two disc compilation that gives a pretty good sampling of his stuff.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    My favorite is Darkness on the Edge of Town :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I held off buying Born to Run cause it only had 8 tracks but it's now among my favoirte albums ever, spend teh ten bucks and thank us later.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 177
    I really enjoyed The Rising. I think its an underated album.

some favorite tracks from the Rising:

You're Missing
    Waitin on a Sunny Day
    Lonesome Day
    Empty Sky
    The Rising
    Mary's Place
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • Options
    Keller wrote:
    I really enjoyed The Rising. I think its an underated album.

some favorite tracks from the Rising:

You're Missing
    Waitin on a Sunny Day
    Lonesome Day
    Empty Sky
    The Rising
    Mary's Place

I second you on that. I also recomend The River and Tunnel of Love. The Boss rocks.
    Raise your hands in the air and give me a hell yeah!
  • Options
    pahoehoe13pahoehoe13 Posts: 16
    check out the double album 'live in NYC'... springsteen is one of those artists that really comes alive on stage. his live stuff is infinitely better than his studio stuff and i can say that as a fan of his studio stuff. the album i mentioned has some really great songs and some good versions on it... definitely check it out
  • Options
    Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    start with

Born To Run

I second this.
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 177
    pahoehoe13 wrote:
    check out the double album 'live in NYC'... springsteen is one of those artists that really comes alive on stage. his live stuff is infinitely better than his studio stuff and i can say that as a fan of his studio stuff.

Couldn't agree more. He puts more energy into his shows then preformers half his age. I saw him twice with the e-street band... words can't describe the energy he brings to the arena. I love the false endings.

Why is it that he can't sell out an arena on the west coast but he can sell out 10 shows in a row on the east??
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    meme wrote:
    My favorite is Darkness on the Edge of Town :)

me too. candy's room is my fave springsteen song.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I have a triple disc that came out a couple years ago. Has all the big hits by the Boss. Includes songs off of The Rising.
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    Hey
    Thanks

Get the older ones like: Born to Run, Greetings from Asbury Park, The Darkness, and, The River.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    the rising devils and dust bruuuuuuce springsteen and the e-street band live from 79-85
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,151
    The Wild The Inocent and E Street Shuffle......Great album and Rosilita Come Out Tonight is always garunteed to get your grove going
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Born To Run
    Darkness On The Edge Of Town
    Nebraska
    Tunnel Of Love
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    The Rising.

I love Bruce's other stuff too but this cd is one of my all time fav cd's.

Into The Fire is a great great great great song.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I'm listening to E Street Shuffle right now, honest to God. My favorite albums of his are The Wild,the Innocent, & the E Street Shuffle(which I'm listening to now) and The River.
  • Options
    *Boy*Boy Posts: 112
    in order i'd get:

Live 75-85
    Live NYC 2002
    Ashbury Park
    Ghost Of Tom Joad
    The Rising
    Born To Run
    Darkness ON The Edge Of TOwn

they'll all blow you away
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not ~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

~chaka boom chak -Tom Waits~
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    No love for Born in the USA here. Not Springsteen's best, but I'd say that along with Born to Run, it's a good start for the beginner. There is a lot more on Born in the USA than just the title track.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    Born In The USA = Springsteen

as

Jeremy = Pearl Jam
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Born In The USA = Springsteen

as

Jeremy = Pearl Jam

That's not a bad thing... that's like saying Ten is a bad place to start if you want to get into PJ. Hardcore fans aren't huge advocates of Born in the USA to be sure, but it's a good place to start for the casual fan. Am I wrong?
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Nebraska
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    DOSW wrote:
    No love for Born in the USA here. Not Springsteen's best, but I'd say that along with Born to Run, it's a good start for the beginner. There is a lot more on Born in the USA than just the title track.
    That will be my next one. Cover Me is a great love song.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I did love Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River. Went to shows on both those tours. Did anyone mention Tunnel of Love yet? Another good one. And Nebraska (once you've been broken in - this is solo, darker, spare, a little like Devils and Dust) - Ed's sung Atlantic City off it (Nebraska).

If Born in the USA is to Springsteen as Jeremy is to Pearl Jam, I'd say Nebraska is to Springsteen as No Code is to Pearl Jam.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    Well, as someone who has gotten into The Boss only within the past few years, I tell ya how I came about Bruce. About 4 or 5 years ago, I compiled a several disc set (which means I downloaded the songs and burned the discs) of VH1's top 100 songs of Rock n Roll. There were two Springsteen songs on there - Thunder Road and Born To Run. I was amazingly surprised by these songs, as the only Bruce songs I was familiar with were Born In The USA, Dancing In The Dark, and Glory Days (all off of Born In The USA). So I thought I would check out a few more, and bought the Greatest Hits CD, which I enjoyed immensely. About that same time, I also picked up The Rising in the special edition packaging (I honestly don't know if I would have gotten it if it weren't for that packaging....but that's just me). I liked that CD as well, so during a trip to my local library, I saw the Live in NY set, and picked that up, and enjoyed that immensely. Since then, I have only bought the Essential Bruce Springsteen 3CD set, and have amassed a collection of about 15-20 Springsteen bootlegs. Now I'm going back and listening to some of the other albums that I will eventually buy, I'm sure.

So, I would start off with the Essential Bruce Springsteen Collection, and then branch out from there, depending on which songs are your favorites. I was a little disappointed that Secret Garden wasn't in this set as I really like that song, but that's okay, cuz I also have the Greatest Hits CD.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    If Born in the USA is to Springsteen as Jeremy is to Pearl Jam, I'd say Nebraska is to Springsteen as No Code is to Pearl Jam.

excellent !

It was really awesome when Ed walked out at Bruces final VFC show - back on 10-13-04 at NJ, (I lost my mind ) Ed singing No Surrender and Darkness On The Edge Of Town was an unbelievable experience- along with a full E -St- Band rendition of Betterman- with Ed & Bruce sharing vocals and the Proffesor on Piano and of course the Big Mans Sax solo .
    platessmall.jpg