Recommend Bob Dylan's career to me

gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
edited September 2006 in Other Music
In the last month or two, I've really gotten into Bob Dylan a lot, and I have three greatest hits albums of his, and I would really like to get into his actual albums. What should I start with? Should I follow it chronologically, or is there a better way? Thanks!
Happiness is only real when shared
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• highway 61 revisited and blonde on blonde are essentials.

blood on the track and the freewheelin bob dylan are also must haves.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Go to your nearest record store immediately and buy the following:

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    Blonde on Blonde
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Blood on the Tracks
    Nashville Skyline
    Oh Mercy
    Time out of Mind
    Love and Theft
    Modern Times

That should get you started.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Blood on the Tracks
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Blonde on Blonde
    Bringing It All Back Home

Those are my votes, in that order.

There's a double-CD live album that was released a few years ago that's pretty amazing. It's half acoustic and half electric, from right around the time he made the switch (I think), and the crowd is pretty hostile about it. I probably listen to this as often as any of his studio albums:

Bootleg Series, Vol. 4: Live, 1966: The Royal Albert Hall Concert
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Go to your nearest record store immediately and buy the following:

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    Blonde on Blonde
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Blood on the Tracks
    Nashville Skyline
    Oh Mercy
    Time out of Mind
    Love and Theft
    Modern Times

That should get you started.
    Add "Bringing It all back Home" to that list and I agree.

BIABH is one of the greatest records he made, and at LEAST get it for "It's alright ma (i'm only bleeding)"

His greatest hits records are all right, but they cut songs for being too long!

That's the stupidest thing they could do!

It's Alright Ma, Gates of Eden, Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands,.... So many songs cut just because they go over 5 minutes. "Hurricane" and "Brownsville Girl" are the only lucky long songs to make it onto greatest hits records.

gah... hits records are always frustrating..

Anyways, like I said, his list and BIABH are certainly essential :)

Bringing It all Back Home, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, Highway 61 Revisisted, and Another Side of bob Dylan are the bare essentials. Start there! :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Cool. Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to start with The Freewheelin, then move on to Highway 61 revisited/Blonde on Blonde/Blood on the Tracks/BIABH, which ever I feel like next, Lol. Thanks a ton!
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • gobrowns19 wrote:
    Cool. Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to start with The Freewheelin, then move on to Highway 61 revisited/Blonde on Blonde/Blood on the Tracks/BIABH, which ever I feel like next, Lol. Thanks a ton!
    sounds like a good plan..

keep in mind that "freewheelin" is acoustic. I might suggest starting with Bringing it all back home because it's 1/2 electric and 1/2 acoustic..

but really it's all gold :D
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    yeah, freewheelin is a great place to start. Everyone pretty much has it covered. So I'll add what everyone else has:
    Beleive it or not, I actually started with Oh mercy (My parents owned the record and I was about 8 years old so that's why I started with it.
    I got the Essential Bob Dylan
    and then my order goes like this:
    Blonde on Blonde
    Blood on the tracks
    Freewheelin
    and I highly recommend Modern times as well. Its' his new album and it is great.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • The Bootleg Series volumes 4 and 5 are excellent as well... those probably get as much play from me as any of the studio albums.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    The Bootleg Series volumes 4 and 5 are excellent as well... those probably get as much play from me as any of the studio albums.

good call the Rolling Thunder is fantastic, I also just got before the flood which is his live album with the band and that is just awesome. I'm a sucker for live shit but these are just as good if not better than the originals
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb