Stadium Arcadium

bubbamackdaddy69bubbamackdaddy69 Posts: 576
edited October 2006 in Other Music
I've always liked the RHCP especially Blood sugar sex magik..a classic...and the last few albums they put were pretty good..They've been decent for years and never put out "real" garbage.. I was hesitant to get Stadium Arcadium but I must admist..WOW...it's a friggin good album...
anyone else like it ?? I've been listetning to it non stop along with "No code" lately and Arcade Fire..

In the end ..just wanted to say I was pleasantly surprised after all these years they still put out good stuff...yeah some of it is overplayed radio stuff but most is still wicked
Master of Zen
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It has some really good songs on it. My favorites are "She's Only 18," "Readymade," and "Wet Sand."
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i think there are a few good songs but other then that it shouldn't have been a double album... a LOT of whiney radio crap on there
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Its grown on me, esp. after seeing them live again. I forget how much I like them until I see a fresh live show. So yeah I'm liking the album. I like Wet Sand, Torture Me, CMon Girl, and I do like Dani and Snow. and Strip my Mind if that's what its called - I usually play it in the car, so don't get to look at the song names all the time. BSSM and some earlier tunes will probably always be my most favorite though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I love this album dearly..unfortunately, someone in my household or elsewhere felt the need to sneak into my room and take it..I haven't seen it since.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • i love the whole album especially We Believe, Especially in Michigan, Storm in a Teacup, Readymade, and the whole album kicks ass in general...great new sound from them. Def in my top 3 of albums...going to see them 10/23 @ philly Section 102 can't wait
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • i love the whole album especially We Believe, Especially in Michigan, Storm in a Teacup, Readymade, and the whole album kicks ass in general...great new sound from them. Def in my top 3 of albums...going to see them 10/23 @ philly Section 102 can't wait

Yeah especially in Michigan is a good for sure..like it alot..wet sand as well
    Master of Zen
  • It has some good songs, but it's too repetitive. They souldn't have made a double album.
    Hey I, ooooooohhh, I'm still ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Basically, everything except the 2 singles are terrific. Really a superb album if you can get past the singles to give it a chance.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I have to admit, I've only listened to it a couple of times and it doesn't sound that great, as compared to some of they're earlier albume like One Hot Minute, Blood Sugar Sex Magik (i think that's the right order) and By the Way, to name a few. IT's a bit long winded (the songs) and a bit repetitive as the chap above me said. Probably not one of they're best efforts. And the songs really aren't that catchy. Nothing from the album stands out.
    If Pearl Jam was a beer, they'd probably be the best beer in the world!!
  • I have to admit, I've only listened to it a couple of times and it doesn't sound that great, as compared to some of they're earlier albume like One Hot Minute, Blood Sugar Sex Magik (i think that's the right order) and By the Way, to name a few. IT's a bit long winded (the songs) and a bit repetitive as the chap above me said. Probably not one of they're best efforts. And the songs really aren't that catchy. Nothing from the album stands out.
    I'll give you long winded but to say that nothing really stands out is absurd!

I can see why people would say that it shouldn't have been a double album, but I think there are enough good songs to merit more than 1 disc. If it had been 1 it would've had a ton of awesome b-sides and a lot of people would've said "Why didn't all these make the album!??!".

"Make our day"
  • dante76dante76 Posts: 76
    I think it's just so much better than By the Way...some really great songs - Wet sand, Hey, SA, Death of a martian, Readymade, Torture me...seeing them in Milan next month.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik & Californication are the 2 outstanding albums by the Chili's for me.

Stadium Arcadium maybe the best of the rest it's a toss up between it and The Uplift Mofo Party Plan but it falls along way behind the 2 classics - It is however better than the bland 'By The Way', the messy 'One Hot Minute', the rushed 'Mothers Milk' and 'Freaky Styley' an album I just don't like at all.

Think the real standout songs (for me) are Michigan, Snow & Animal Bar.
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    I like Stadium Arcadium alot. Granted, it's no BSSM or Californication but it's still a great album. I don't think that it falls way behind the other two albums mentioned above but it's definitely a solid album. It's a far better effort than By the Way. Besides the singles that have been released from SA, I like Hump de Bump, Storm in a Teacup, Slow Cheetah, Charlie, and Snow among others.
  • I've always liked the RHCP especially Blood sugar sex magik..a classic...and the last few albums they put were pretty good..They've been decent for years and never put out "real" garbage.. I was hesitant to get Stadium Arcadium but I must admist..WOW...it's a friggin good album...
    anyone else like it ?? I've been listetning to it non stop along with "No code" lately and Arcade Fire..

In the end ..just wanted to say I was pleasantly surprised after all these years they still put out good stuff...yeah some of it is overplayed radio stuff but most is still wicked

its good, but i dont listen everyday
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • larslars Posts: 524
    stadium arcadium sounds like a mixture of soulless pop and a jam band trying to sound like RHCP.....man do they try not to sound old, but the trained ear can hear the facade
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    lars wrote:
    stadium arcadium sounds like a mixture of soulless pop and a jam band trying to sound like RHCP.....man do they try not to sound old, but the trained ear can hear the facade

I have to admit I agree with you.. I am a big lover of the RHCP and do enjoy a few songs on the double album.. but to me it just shouldn't have been a double. But hey, everyone is different, some love it.. some hate it. I went to the Calgary show this past sept. and was a little dissapointed at how distant Anthony seemed.. he was just not into like he was the last tour. Usually he'd be getting into with the crowd and interacting more. I had way more fun with them in 03 for the By the Way tour.
    I love Blood Sugar Sex Magic and Californication albums the best.
    Earthgirl wrote:
    I have to admit I agree with you.. I am a big lover of the RHCP and do enjoy a few songs on the double album.. but to me it just shouldn't have been a double. But hey, everyone is different, some love it.. some hate it. I went to the Calgary show this past sept. and was a little dissapointed at how distant Anthony seemed.. he was just not into like he was the last tour. Usually he'd be getting into with the crowd and interacting more. I had way more fun with them in 03 for the By the Way tour.
    I love Blood Sugar Sex Magic and Californication albums the best.

I was at the other calgary show.. one before last one.. they put on a great show but the crowd all seemed to be just mainstream radio type only cheering for Scar Tissue.. at one point they busted out a 13 minute funk jam and the entire floor just starred at them.. our section was losing it totally into it. at the end of the show I remember him even saying "Don't worry you guys can go home soon.."

Anyways.. because of me not caring for the new album which is even MORE mainstream than anything they've done.. I figured this show wasn't for me.

I am a huge Mars Volta fan but would rather not see them with a bunch of rednecks that are just gonna boo them.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    The music rocks. Can't quite say the same for the production/mastering. The vinyl version is supposed to be remastered without all the clips/super compression, but I bet it costs 100 bux.
  • EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    bharQ wrote:
    I was at the other calgary show.. one before last one.. they put on a great show but the crowd all seemed to be just mainstream radio type only cheering for Scar Tissue.. at one point they busted out a 13 minute funk jam and the entire floor just starred at them.. our section was losing it totally into it. at the end of the show I remember him even saying "Don't worry you guys can go home soon.."

Anyways.. because of me not caring for the new album which is even MORE mainstream than anything they've done.. I figured this show wasn't for me.

I am a huge Mars Volta fan but would rather not see them with a bunch of rednecks that are just gonna boo them.

I didn't go to the Calgary show last tour in 03.. I went to the Edmonton one and it rocked. Mars Volta was horrible, sorry.. but it sounded like one long screaching song with no rythym, beat or melody. The guys looked like they were trying way too hard to be different. I actually got a headache listening to them and had to leave for the lounge to have a beer and recover. Half my section left.. and none of us are rednecks.
    Im going to PM you with some info.. k.
    Earthgirl wrote:
    I didn't go to the Calgary show last tour in 03.. I went to the Edmonton one and it rocked. Mars Volta was horrible, sorry.. but it sounded like one long screaching song with no rythym, beat or melody. The guys looked like they were trying way too hard to be different. I actually got a headache listening to them and had to leave for the lounge to have a beer and recover. Half my section left.. and none of us are rednecks.

I was a huge at the drive-in fan and instanly loved mars volta when I heard them.. I have no idea what it would be like not knowing them at all and seeing them live.. i'd imagine pretty weird. Anyways thats just my point.. why would I want to see them with people that aren't into them (redneck or not).. but especially rednecks.. the ones that throw piss and beer on stage.

Much rather see them in a club with people that are into them.. you should at least try and check out At the drive-in's Relationship of command or mars voltas first album deloused.. amazing stuff.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    Earthgirl wrote:

I was a huge at the drive-in fan and instanly loved mars volta when I heard them.. I have no idea what it would be like not knowing them at all and seeing them live.. i'd imagine pretty weird. Anyways thats just my point.. why would I want to see them with people that aren't into them (redneck or not).. but especially rednecks.. the ones that throw piss and beer on stage.

Much rather see them in a club with people that are into them.. you should at least try and check out At the drive-in's Relationship of command or mars voltas first album deloused.. amazing stuff.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • funkymonk wrote:
    I like Stadium Arcadium alot. Granted, it's no BSSM or Californication but it's still a great album. I don't think that it falls way behind the other two albums mentioned above but it's definitely a solid album. It's a far better effort than By the Way. Besides the singles that have been released from SA, I like Hump de Bump, Storm in a Teacup, Slow Cheetah, Charlie, and Snow among others.

Exactly my thoughts...like it alot..more than by the way and other than the single from SA this album has good tunes...tough to be BSSM though..that's a classic
    Master of Zen
    Earthgirl wrote:

09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • I like the Mars Volta but some of the stuff I hear from them (college radio rules :cool: ) really is just noise. The foundation of really good experimental prog. rock is in a driving beat and in melodies. Ask Yes and Rush. The Mars Volta often lose those things in exchange for weird noises which ends up sounding like shit.

"Make our day"
    I like the Mars Volta but some of the stuff I hear from them (college radio rules :cool: ) really is just noise. The foundation of really good experimental prog. rock is in a driving beat and in melodies. Ask Yes and Rush. The Mars Volta often lose those things in exchange for weird noises which ends up sounding like shit.

Frances the mute had moments like that.. but overall I think that album is amazing.. Con Safo :eek:!@#

The new one I really like.. it doesn't go off on tangents of just backround noise at all.. it DOES go off in tangents of wild time signatures and unbelieveable guitar peices.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • svhsvh Posts: 21
    I like it a lot... love frusho´s backing vocals
    my favourites are snow, wet sand, slow cheetah, desecration smile, she looks to me, make you feel better

I think Kiedis is finally growing up, the lyrics are getting better. Or at least more appealing to me.

Been at their show in Wuhlheide/Berlin this year - the music was really cool, but compared to pj... they don´t interact with the audience at all, the atmosphere was nothing like it was at pj.

ps: animal bar is so gay and stupid, I always have to freak out to it for fun...
    ...a pearl, turning dirt into something beautiful - e.v
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Earthgirl wrote:

TMV has kind of grown on me over time. After buying Amputechture, I'd say you really have to hear it on CD, rather than just at the show, because their sound is so complex that it doesn't seem well reproduced in an arena.
    bharq wrote:

They did a nice 10 minute jam at the end of the quebec show too. I know what you mean though - they sang BSSM and it seemed that a lot of people weren't as into the 'older' (and that's not THAT old) stuff. We had other fan club members next to us though, so our section was rockin'. Makes all the difference.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • bharQ wrote:
    Frances the mute had moments like that.. but overall I think that album is amazing.. Con Safo :eek:!@#

The new one I really like.. it doesn't go off on tangents of just backround noise at all.. it DOES go off in tangents of wild time signatures and unbelieveable guitar peices.
    Yeah 9/10ths of the stuff I hear is incredible, but they lose it occasionally.

And now that someone else mentioned it (getting back on track..) Frusciante's backing vocals are SUPERB.

"Make our day"
  • larslars Posts: 524
    I like the Mars Volta but some of the stuff I hear from them (college radio rules :cool: ) really is just noise. The foundation of really good experimental prog. rock is in a driving beat and in melodies. Ask Yes and Rush. The Mars Volta often lose those things in exchange for weird noises which ends up sounding like shit.

It´s soooo 2005 to like thinking bands....what 2006 and the next 10 years is about is drinking bands and tons of thrash...and shut up if you don´t agree. Sacred Reich will prevail!!!
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • ifkaifka Posts: 28
    IMHO the album is great...it has a lot of great songs... especially a video spot for dani california - its awsome......... heheh:)) flea rules......
    ...how i choose to feel...is how i am....