Bright Eyes/Sleater Kinney concert connection...

OmahaJammerOmahaJammer Posts: 261
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Just saw Bright Eyes last night here in Omaha. Absolutely amazing show. They played at pretty much the most fancy theatre/music hall in the midwest (Holland Performing Arts Center). Everyone sat like little seated statues for 3/4 of the show and just all of a sudden it was like people couldn't contain themselves and rushed up to the front of the stage. It was the most "pure" stage-rush I'd ever seen. I think you had to be there....this is one of those places where only symphony orchestras play and nobody stands up, period, unless to yell "bravisimo!" at the end of a performance. If you get a chance to see him on his current tour, do it. Janet from Sleater Kinney is one of his two drummers and it's really fun to watch her in such a different band. His new record is really something too.
Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    what kind of setlist was it? is it heavy on the more recent tunes? i hear he doesn't really play anything prior to 'im wide awake' anymore.
  • OmahaJammerOmahaJammer Posts: 261
    what kind of setlist was it? is it heavy on the more recent tunes? i hear he doesn't really play anything prior to 'im wide awake' anymore.

It was heavy on the newer tunes. I believe the only "old" track he played was "False Advertising". He's touring to support a new record...so that's what he's going to play. He probably feels like he was just a "kid" when he put out those first few records (I guess he was)....so I'm not surprised that he isn't playing much from those older records. Plus, with a 13 piece band....it's probably hard for them to learn more than a fraction of his catalog of songs. All in all, I was really pleased.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    It was heavy on the newer tunes. I believe the only "old" track he played was "False Advertising". He's touring to support a new record...so that's what he's going to play. He probably feels like he was just a "kid" when he put out those first few records (I guess he was)....so I'm not surprised that he isn't playing much from those older records. Plus, with a 13 piece band....it's probably hard for them to learn more than a fraction of his catalog of songs. All in all, I was really pleased.

yeah, im cool with that. i dig the new album, though i do think the 4 winds ep tops cassadaga. i only wish he hadn't practically disowned digital ash... that album is criminally disregarded. im just trying to make sure im fresh on the right part of the catalogue for the show ;) dont wanna force myself through a few listenings of 'letting off the happiness' if he's not going to play it.
  • OmahaJammerOmahaJammer Posts: 261
    yeah, im cool with that. i dig the new album, though i do think the 4 winds ep tops cassadaga. i only wish he hadn't practically disowned digital ash... that album is criminally disregarded. im just trying to make sure im fresh on the right part of the catalogue for the show ;) dont wanna force myself through a few listenings of 'letting off the happiness' if he's not going to play it.

He did play "Gold Mine Gutted" off Digital Ash....it was probably one of my favorite songs of the evening. I can pretty much guarantee that there is no need to revisit 'letting off the happiness' for these shows.