Hail to the theif: second to none

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Been listening to Radiohead. This one is F-ing genuis, and their last.
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HTTT is a very underrated album. I was listening to it in my excitement for In Rainbows a few days ago. A Wolf at the Door and Sail to the Moon are my favorates, but they tend to depress me a little for some reason. Good album from top to bottom- but it's no O.K. Computer or Kid A I guess.
    I remember reading an interview in Spin magazine where Thom stated he regretted the final tracklisting and wished he could redo it. Maybe that would have made a difference to some- I don't know. It does have some slow spots.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    HTTT is a very underrated album. I was listening to it in my excitement for In Rainbows a few days ago. A Wolf at the Door and Sail to the Moon are my favorates, but they tend to depress me a little for some reason. Good album from top to bottom- but it's no O.K. Computer or Kid A I guess.
    I remember reading an interview in Spin magazine where Thom stated he regretted the final tracklisting and wished he could redo it. Maybe that would have made a difference to some- I don't know. It does have some slow spots.

i agree with thom. the album is simply too long. 14 tracks, over an hour. too much of it sounds the same. it ends up dragging, there's a lot of filler. it's a shame cos it does show glimmers of promise... 2+2, myxomatosis, etc. but it just is too much. ironically, it reminds me of an early muse album: i like the sound, but eventually it gets so repetitive it's just overwhelming. this new album show more promise if for no reason other than it has more restraint.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    i agree with thom. the album is simply too long. 14 tracks, over an hour. too much of it sounds the same. it ends up dragging, there's a lot of filler. it's a shame cos it does show glimmers of promise... 2+2, myxomatosis, etc. but it just is too much. ironically, it reminds me of an early muse album: i like the sound, but eventually it gets so repetitive it's just overwhelming. this new album show more promise if for no reason other than it has more restraint.
    I remember when you hated radiohead :D
    or rather, you hated the fans and therefore resented the band
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    "there,there"

*the build up to the afforementioned song is amazing....check it out.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Not a huge Radiohead fan since they changed directions, but Hail To The Thief is my fave of those.
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    HTTT is a very underrated album. I was listening to it in my excitement for In Rainbows a few days ago. A Wolf at the Door and Sail to the Moon are my favorates, but they tend to depress me a little for some reason. Good album from top to bottom- but it's no O.K. Computer or Kid A I guess.

Depress you for some reason?

Probably because they are pretty much a downbeat,melancholy,cynical band.Absolutely fuckin brilliant IMO, although because of the aforementioned they are very much an 'in the mood' band for me.I can only listen in smallish doses when I feel particularly Radioheadesque.

Unlike PJ who I listen to a lot more often and in larger doses, as there is a vast expanse of varied style and mood across their back catalogue.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I remember when you hated radiohead :D
    or rather, you hated the fans and therefore resented the band

i do hate the fans and their rationalizations and excuses. i hate most pearl jam fans for the same reason. the last 3 albums by radiohead were mediocre, but the first 3 were excellent. i'm hoping the new one takes them back to what they once did best... write decent songs. lately it's been all style and no substance. the last 3 albums have been half good, half filler. there was no filler on the first 3.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    i do hate the fans and their rationalizations and excuses. i hate most pearl jam fans for the same reason. the last 3 albums by radiohead were mediocre, but the first 3 were excellent. i'm hoping the new one takes them back to what they once did best... write decent songs. lately it's been all style and no substance. the last 3 albums have been half good, half filler. there was no filler on the first 3.

Well said, and I agree completely. It's almost like they ditched the craft of songwriting in order to spend more time trying to create weird, ambient noise using computers. I thought Hail to the Thief was a better record than the previous two because they obviously made a conscious effort to start writing actual songs again (on a few tracks at least), and I'm hoping the new record has more of that.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I hear ya... but...

Kid A > Pablo Honey and the Bends

and I'm not even a huge fan so I'm not one of those fans you're talking about. I genuinely think Kid A is better. Just more my style.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • djerdap wrote:
    Hail to the Thief is a very good album. It is too long, with two or three fillers in there (We Suck Young Blood is terrible, Scatterbrain, Punch-Up at a Wedding mediocre) and very uneven. But, 2+2=5 is one of the best rockers they have, There There is amazing; the whole first half of the album is great.

opinions are opinions but I'd say that Punch-up is one of the very best on the album, could be on any Radiohead album.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • the last 3 albums by radiohead were mediocre, but the first 3 were excellent.

Besides o.k. Computer, KidA/Amnesiac have to be their best albums. Unofficial double album since they were written at the same time; they put their early albums to shame. Some fans were just not able to move past the whole early 90's thingy, so never gave it enough chance. To each his own.
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    Where I End and You Begin is my fav from that album. Great album.
    Besides o.k. Computer, KidA/Amnesiac have to be their best albums. Unofficial double album since they were written at the same time; they put their early albums to shame. Some fans were just not able to move past the whole early 90's thingy, so never gave it enough chance. To each his own.

kid a is alright. but the bends is flawless. kid a has too many skippable tracks. my problem with kid a/amnesiac is mostly in sequencing... they had one killer, boundary-pushing album, and one interesting b-sides/experimental album. instead, they split things up and you end up with 2 mediocre albums with some of their best work but a ton of filler.
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    kid a is alright. but the bends is flawless. kid a has too many skippable tracks. my problem with kid a/amnesiac is mostly in sequencing... they had one killer, boundary-pushing album, and one interesting b-sides/experimental album. instead, they split things up and you end up with 2 mediocre albums with some of their best work but a ton of filler.
    I agree with every word you said.
  • Ya know, I've been listening to Amnesiac alot in the past couple of days...and it might be slowly becoming my favorite Radiohead album. People say that it's just Kid A leftovers, but truly the songs are unique and it gives off quite a different feeling than Kid A. The only skipable tracks are Hunting Bears and Spinning Plates. The rest is spot on.
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    still kida for me
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • It's like you have 2 different Radioheads with the first 3 albums and then the next 3... the first 3 were straight up "rock" Radiohead... and the next 3 were just "electronic" Radiohead. It's actually quite interesting to see an evolution in music like that... I mean, the jump from OK Computer to Kid A was just... wow, so diverse.

But yeah, Kid A is my favorite.. it used to be HTTT, but for some reason, after seeing them live... the Kid A material performed live is just so much better... and Kid A is just an amazing song all around.
    If I could, think I would give in.