Journey - one of the most interesting stories in music right now

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Well, its interesting and just amazing that they were actually able to replace Steve Perry. Journey has to be up there with the Eagles and Guns and Roses for bands that you can put on at a party and everyone will enjoy. Steve Perry is one of the most amazing vocalist ever, and he sure was aware of it, lol. When I heard they were touring with a new singer, I thought no way in hell they can replace that voice. Well, I had the same dumb struck look on my face as everyone else when I saw this asian guy and heard his voice. You have to be really critically listening to tell the difference. Arnel Pineda is as close to Perry's as imaginable, may be a bit smoother, cleaner. I heard they looked all over the world. It certainly paid off; this guy has an incredible voice. I like some songs, but I'd love to take my fiance and her mom. I imagine it would be a great concert experience.
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    You're just a small town girl...
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    huhhhh.....
    how many lead singers have they been thou now?

steve perry is one of my fav voices EVER.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• hartamh wrote:
    No way where did you see this?

One of my employees was talking about it. I didn't beleive it untill he brought their new 3 disc album to work. His voice is amazing. My mother-in-law got the album and just the looks on everyones faces is entertaining.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5nnNji6s3ck&feature=related
  • bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    There was a whole segment on Arnel and Journey on CBS Sunday a couple weeks ago.

I believe it was Neal Schon that literally found the singer on youtube one night.

Arnel had to fly here from the Philippines and when he was going through customs (I think it was customs), the agent asked him the purpose of his visit to the states and he said "I'm auditioning for Journey" and the agent, of course, was like "no way, sing something". So he did and I guess the whole place was quiet and everyone turned around and looked at him as he was singing.

Apparently, he was also very poor growing up and at one point he was homeless after his mother died.

It's really quite a story. Maybe the CBS thing is on youtube or something because it was really fantastic.

This coming from someone that is really not a Journey fan.
  • This is THE most interesting story in music right now...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9957945-7.html?hhTest=1
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Well, its interesting and just amazing that they were actually able to replace Steve Perry. Journey has to be up there with the Eagles and Guns and Roses for bands that you can put on at a party and everyone will enjoy. Steve Perry is one of the most amazing vocalist ever, and he sure was aware of it, lol. When I heard they were touring with a new singer, I thought no way in hell they can replace that voice. Well, I had the same dumb struck look on my face as everyone else when I saw this asian guy and heard his voice. You have to be really critically listening to tell the difference. Arnel Pineda is as close to Perry's as imaginable, may be a bit smoother, cleaner. I heard they looked all over the world. It certainly paid off; this guy has an incredible voice. I like some songs, but I'd love to take my fiance and her mom. I imagine it would be a great concert experience.

All I know is that if I put on GNR or the Eagles at a party, I'm getting my ass kicked.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i thought this was a joke thread but holy shit!! this guy is pretty much dead on....as someone who wore out his cassette copy of escape let me just say i'm impressed :)
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    huhhhh.....
    how many lead singers have they been thou now?

steve perry is one of my fav voices EVER.
    At least three......a better question is how members of the touring outfit actually recorded anything with the band???
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    tybird wrote:
    At least three......a better question is how members of the touring outfit actually recorded anything with the band???

this new guy has right?

saw them recently on Ellen.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    they've had 4 singers. the 3rd guy didn't last long.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I think its creepy when a band brings in a new singer who sounds exactly the same as the original. Its like cloning, in a very indirect way!

What if it turns out that Steve Perry is the guy's dad!
  • Rock onRock on Posts: 216
    I seen Journey in 06 at a country fair when Jeff Scott was lead, to me Jeff sounded pretty darn close to Steve's voice.
  • This is THE most interesting story in music right now...

exxcept that Boston sucks. Such cheese, they make Journey look like PJ in comparison.
    eyedclaar wrote:
    All I know is that if I put on GNR or the Eagles at a party, I'm getting my ass kicked.

Well, lets say at work then. Tom Petty would be another excellent one that is widely accepted. Who are you partying with? What would you put on for your crowd?
  • Any chance of Steve Perry reuniting with Fake Journey. The new singer is a good story but it is still fake Journey. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to hearing the new guy in Saratoga in August. The first replacement for Steve Perry was really good. The second guy, not so much.
  • Any chance of Steve Perry reuniting with Fake Journey. The new singer is a good story but it is still fake Journey. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to hearing the new guy in Saratoga in August. The first replacement for Steve Perry was really good. The second guy, not so much.

Steve Perry = amazing. But this guy can sing like a bird. I would love to see Journey this year.
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    YEAH!!! Arnel Pineda is a full bloodied Filipino... Mabuhay!!! good for him & good for us Filipinos. He made us proud. :)
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    :eek:

holy shit this guy's voice is amazing! and this is coming from someone who *loves* steve perry. i love journey. thanks for sharing this info, i had no idea this was going on!

this is a great version of 'faithfully' http://youtube.com/watch?v=ouRzPQur5vw&feature=related
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    :eek:

holy shit this guy's voice is amazing! and this is coming from someone who *loves* steve perry. i love journey. thanks for sharing this info, i had no idea this was going on!

this is a great version of 'faithfully' http://youtube.com/watch?v=ouRzPQur5vw&feature=related

you're good people :o:D
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Journey has to be up there with the Eagles and Guns and Roses for bands that you can put on at a party and everyone will enjoy.

3 bands that I dispise..so not everyone
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    cutback wrote:
    you're good people :o:D

as are you sweetie! :)

i heard hte new single from journey on the radio this morning, sounds good...it's like it was released from a time capsule or something!
  • Vitalogy7Vitalogy7 Posts: 75
    This is THE most interesting story in music right now...

lmao, agreed
    "Up here so high the sky I scrape,
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest,
    Just like innocence."
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    saw Journey a month ago. Arnel was great. whole show was class. on one or two songs there was clearly a guide-vocal tape, lower sound than Arnels actual voice, but hey, good show nonetheless