Punk Music Vs. The Punk Fans, Scene

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I've given some punk music a chance before. Listened to some random stuff over the years. I played this Clash cd today, one that I just randomly seem to have. I can't say that I care for the music. But the one thing that has always struck me about the whole punk thing is how different the music is compared to the look and attitude displayed by the "punk" crowd. Anyone would think the "punk" thing is to be TOUGH, HARD AND REBELLIOUS, but the music is so POP and, for lack of a better word, SISSY SOUNDING ROCK. Not at all what you'd expect these people to be listening to. I've listened to the punk station on Sirius long enough to come the same conclusion each time then change it. I certainly listened to enough punk rock to say this is true for the majority of the genre. I just find this contradiction strange, anyone with me?
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've given some punk music a chance before. Listened to some random stuff over the years. I played this Clash cd today, one that I just randomly seem to have. I can't say that I care for the music. But the one thing that has always struck me about the whole punk thing is how different the music is compared to the look and attitude displayed by the "punk" crowd. Anyone would think the "punk" thing is to be TOUGH, HARD AND REBELLIOUS, but the music is so POP and, for lack of a better word, SISSY SOUNDING ROCK. Not at all what you'd expect these people to be listening to. I've listened to the punk station on Sirius long enough to come the same conclusion each time then change it. I certainly listened to enough punk rock to say this is true for the majority of the genre. I just find this contradiction strange, anyone with me?
    No way I'd call bands like Black Flag or Dead Kennedys sissy-sounding, but what you're saying sort of makes sense. Punk is more like hip-hop than rock actually. It's a style of music that is part of a certain way of life. Unless you're living that life, you probably won't like much of the music it produces.

When compared to rock, I can see how punk can sound weak, but I don't think they should really be compared at all. It's like apples and oranges.
  • IMHO geniunie punk music and the stupid "fashion" subculture that sprung up around it are two different things entirely.

As far as the "pop" call out ... what is wrong with pop?

In a way you could look at it as subversive in the sense that it takes a "prepackaged" medium (pop music, bubble gum) and infects\injects it with some real gritty sentiment and streetwise truth.

You don't have to be Slipknot to be "hard", if you ask me.

In fact i think some of these "pop" sounding Punk bands you are talking about are a lot "harder" in the truth of their music than most nu-metal.

:D

Since you just popped on the Clash,
    here is a nice POP remake for you:
    Death or Glory - Social Distortion

If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Depends on what punk you are talking about, sure The Clash are more of a pop punk but Black Flag or The Misfits are not like that. I think it is funny when younger kids nowadays classify their hollister store emo bands as punk music.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Depends on what punk you are talking about, sure The Clash are more of a pop punk but Black Flag or The Misfits are not like that. I think it is funny when younger kids nowadays classify their hollister store emo bands as punk music.

Thumbs up to that post!
  • Dude...listen to Minor Threat and then tell me that is some "sissy rock". Black Flag, SSD, Bad Brains, Cro-Mags, Millions of Dead Cops, these are not "sissy rock" bands.
  • Dude...listen to Minor Threat and then tell me that is some "sissy rock".

Yeah but fugazi is the wellspring of all emo.
    :rolleyes:

Still don't understand that.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Yeah but fugazi is the wellspring of all emo.
    :rolleyes:

Still don't understand that.

HA! Well, notice I didn't mention Fugazi in my post.
  • Dude...listen to Minor Threat and then tell me that is some "sissy rock". Black Flag, SSD, Bad Brains, Cro-Mags, Millions of Dead Cops, these are not "sissy rock" bands.

Ok, I'll check that stuff out.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I'm 48 , 49 next month , and love punk. No way would I ever classify bands like The Ramones...try to keep up as they blitz through a 28 song set in 1 hour and 12 minutes, UK Subs, Patti Smith ( listen to the great albums Horses or Easter and tell me they're pop), Pere Ubu, the aforementioned Bad Brains and Minor Threat, Social Distortion, The Angry Samoans, The DKs, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, etc, etc, as pop.

Put that music in CB's, Max's, The Bottom Line, The Stone Pony back in the day ( saw the Ramones 2x and Patti Smith once), the defunct Chestnut Cabaret in Philly, and many other clubs I frequented and you had many joyous, ear jangling, lung exploding/gasping for air, sweating profusely nights.Fuckin' glorious. That was the scene I loved. The clothing was window dressing... or not.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Ok, I'll check that stuff out.

the punk channel on sirius is good, but it does not go hard enough....that's probably why you think punk is "pop"....just remember, all that "moshing" the kids did in the '90's was "slam dancing" back in the late '70's-early 80's....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nJqT1YBHdI