2»

Comments

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    deadnote wrote:
    a girl u want

although its a cover it is a perfect jam
    A well done cover, indeed.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    STEEL RAIN!!!

also ...

four walled world
    tighter & tighter
    like suicide
    mind riot
    when i'm down
    shadow on the sun
    moth
    seasons
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    There are two simple answers to this question, and its a damn shame no one has mentioned to them.

The Last Remaining Light
    Steel Rain

Like seriously, there is no two other performances with more sheer amazing emotion and passion. Particularly with The Last Remaining Light, it just sends shivers down your spine and leaves you stunned for about 10 mins after.
  • Weoll I am shocked nobody mentioned switch opens

but like facepollution stated
    zero chance and boot camp.

wholly water
    room a thousand years wide
    my good eye
    head down
    steel rain
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    Oh and i should also mention the French version of Can't Change Me that chris did, which is also cool:D
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    webberf1 wrote:
    Oh and i should also mention the French version of Can't Change Me that chris did, which is also cool:D

I hope that's sarcasm?!
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    no one has mentioned ty cobb yet, that song f'in rockes live - so much energy. Of course i've only seen it with him solo, never with soundgarden unfortunatley.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• webberf1 wrote:
    There are two simple answers to this question, and its a damn shame no one has mentioned to them.

The Last Remaining Light
    Steel Rain

Like seriously, there is no two other performances with more sheer amazing emotion and passion. Particularly with The Last Remaining Light, it just sends shivers down your spine and leaves you stunned for about 10 mins after.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm not sure if I'd cite those two songs as his greatest songwriting, though they're fine examples - but I'd certainly cite them as two of his greatest ever vocal performances. In the less rocky part of his repertoire, maybe I'd add "Heart of Honey" where he does some incredible stuff.
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • Couldn't agree with you more. I'm not sure if I'd cite those two songs as his greatest songwriting, though they're fine examples - but I'd certainly cite them as two of his greatest ever vocal performances. In the less rocky part of his repertoire, maybe I'd add "Heart of Honey" where he does some incredible stuff.

I was obsessed with Heart of Honey about a year ago. I even looked up the lyrics, and I have no idea what he it singing about. The lyrics aren't as important to me in music, but I do enjoy the peotic style vs plain lyrics. Cornell is the best at that. Heart of Honey - clueless to what its about, but a great tune.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    "Mailman" has some awesome vocals.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • I was obsessed with Heart of Honey about a year ago. I even looked up the lyrics, and I have no idea what he it singing about. The lyrics aren't as important to me in music, but I do enjoy the peotic style vs plain lyrics. Cornell is the best at that. Heart of Honey - clueless to what its about, but a great tune.

LOL. Me neither, but the words do sound beautiful, whatever the fuck they mean. I heard it was almost used on the soundtrack of a kids' SF film with an eco-friendly theme, "Titan AE". But I can't quite see how it fits into that either.
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • Heart of Honey is becoming an absolute favourite of mine, shamefully I only heard it for the first time a few months ago.

Three crooked hearts, swirls all around

You can't spell Gossard without G-O-D
  • sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    As far as lack of substance - that is your opinion.

Exactly! You should have stopped here.

Why is it that differing opinions get you kids so rattled up? :rolleyes: Here's another bee in your bonnets: I think his lyrics lean towards cheesy as well. The fact that he has alot of fans doesn't convince me that my opinion is somehow "wrong".

Celine Dion has great range, and alot of fans, too, and she suuuuucks. IMHO. >braces self for celine fans to begin pounding their chests in outrage<
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • Exactly! You should have stopped here.

Why is it that differing opinions get you kids so rattled up? :rolleyes: Here's another bee in your bonnets: I think his lyrics lean towards cheesy as well. The fact that he has alot of fans doesn't convince me that my opinion is somehow "wrong".

Celine Dion has great range, and alot of fans, too, and she suuuuucks. IMHO. >braces self for celine fans to begin pounding their chests in outrage<
    Well sometimes cheesey lyrics work for some singers.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows

Man you give yourself far too much credit, this is not me rattled, this is me picking holes in your flimsy argument. You made an assertion that he sounds the same in every song and that as a song writer he lacks substance. All I did was merely point out that there are a number of songs where he doesn't use his upper register, and that he has a fair few songs that deal with some pretty heavy subjects. As far as some of his lyrics being cheesy, I find some of Vedder's lyrics cheesy, so what?

I understand that you want to be some big dissenting voice amongst a bunch of Cornell fans - that's cool, whatever floats your boat, but you're hardly sticking to the point of the thread at all. Since you said you own a few of their albums, I presume you like at least one song, so tell us what is it?
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499

My 2 Cents:

I don't think anyone ever said your opinion was "wrong." It's true, Chris Cornell has a tendency to screech sometimes and sometimes he sucks really bad when performing live. But you are wrong to say that he does this in every song because really he doesn't such as in the songs that facepollution mentioned. And I know that you're not a big CC fan, which is cool, and it's true he does like the limelight (not as much a grohl) but we'll have to wait til he makes a "Glitter"-type movie before we compare him to Mariah Carey.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • THAN TO BURY YOU POOR POORRRRRRRRRRR

This song is over the limit of being acceptable, in terms of sound, yet what song could be better than this. This is everything that SG is; crazy arangement, climatic vocal, best drums + guitar + bass sound that ever existed. Perfect song.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
    THAN TO BURY YOU POOR POORRRRRRRRRRR

This song is over the limit of being acceptable, in terms of sound, yet what song could be better than this. This is everything that SG is; crazy arangement, climatic vocal, best drums + guitar + bass sound that ever existed. Perfect song.

I prefer Slaves and Bulldozers, but JCP aint far behind - both very menacing songs!
  • Beyond the Wheel- The most extreme singing I have ever heard.

Burden in my hand - love when Cornell's singing is understated like in the later SG recordings. The first minute of this song is one of my favourite moments in music.

Flutter Girl demo - Amazingly raw rare recording. Reminiscent of "singles era " Cornell

Fell on Black Days- This was the tarck that caught my attention and was my first exposure to CC. It doesn't get better than Cornell screaming " I sure don't mind a change" over Thayils guitar just after the bridge. Soundgarden at their peak IMHO.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    if you want vocal performance..

THEN THIS IS THE SONG TO CHECK OUT!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hTr8BNLqrOM
  • How can someone not put Cornell at the top of rock vocalists after that performance? Blows Plant and Mercury away.

Love how he says "Good day" casually at the start. Badass band.
  • T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    I knew exactly the bit before you even described it! Also one of the best guitar solos EVER! I really hope Cornell busts this one out on his next tour.
    I used to always say that the solo on like suicide was (and probably still is) one of the most under appreciated solos ever, one of my favorite SG tunes
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I BrisK I wrote:
    if you want vocal performance..

THEN THIS IS THE SONG TO CHECK OUT!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hTr8BNLqrOM

that was absolutely flawless. i heave never heard him sound that good. you can see my comment on the youtube video.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09