hip hop and the r&r HOF

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited March 2007 in Other Music
personally, i don't think this is a good move by the HOF. i am a fan on hip hop music, but i consider it to be a different genre of music. when i hear "rock and roll" i think beatles, zeppelin. when thinking of bands from my time that deserve to be inducted van halen and rem certainly belong there and pj, radiohead, and rhcp are certainly shoe-ins. but i have many other bands i could list and i'm sure you do as well. how will this hip hop inclusion change the fate of much deserving bands? they will have to be compared to the hip hop greats now. i'm pretty sure that there is a hall of fame or something similar that celebrates hip hop. shouldn't the "rock and roll" hall celebrate rock and roll? it's not the "pop" music hall of fame.
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    yeah I agree with you. Theres nothing wrong with hip hop, but like you said.. its the ROCK N' ROLL hall of fame
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    So should they leave out jazz, r&B, and country artists too? I was thrilled to see Grandmaster Flash get in, especially considering the influence hip hop has had on rock of late.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Yeah, I think those artists that have had an influence on rock music are the ones that get a nod from the hall of fame. In that sense, I could see Run DMC and the Beastie Boys but not Too Short. ;)
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    there is now some controversy concerning Grandmaster Flash and the F 5 's induction this past week,..

apparently, the Dave Clarke 5 received more votes, but the Hall thought it would be better received to induct a Rap Pioneer , instead.

Politics , strictly political bullshit .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • there should be a hip hop hall of fame then. it makes no sense to call it the rock n roll hall of fame if they start adding every genre of music it loses it's purpose and meaning. it should be re-named the music hall of fame instead.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I think Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame is an all encompassing term...just as you have the Bee Gees and Blondie, you have Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think the RNR HOF is a bunch of BS.

Even if i did not think it was a bunch of BS i would say i do not think rap/hip hop artist should be inducted.

Black Sabbath not getting in till last year or whatever is all the proof i need that these guys are a bunch of losers.

Lets see we are going to deny a band that hugely influenced a major genre of rock music (heavy metal) entry in the hall.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Ii do not think rap/hip hop artist should be inducted.

Would it be better suited to call it a Music Hall of Fame? So, instead of narrowing it down to a specific genre, the name reflected a broader base?

I like seeing different styles of music being inducted together.

I will concede that the selection process is suspect.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• someone put it right with "it will lose its meaning and purpose." i guess that a few inductions will be fine if it ends with a few. i will be sickened if the performances turn into jay-z with snoop and eminem. there is a place for that, but its not in the ROCK AND ROLL HOF.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    yeah I agree with you. Theres nothing wrong with hip hop, but like you said.. its the ROCK N' ROLL hall of fame

Yep I agree with you 100%
  • I think Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame is an all encompassing term...just as you have the Bee Gees and Blondie, you have Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five.

PBM

EXACTLY. The Hall was NEVER meant ONLY for "rock" acts. It has always included soul, r&b and blues artists. This is simply the next progression and an acknowledgment of something that has a HUGE influence in our society.

I've never heard anyone complain about non-"rock" acts until this year. As Billy Joel (of all people) said, "It's all rock & roll to me!"
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • pjny wrote:
    EXACTLY. The Hall was NEVER meant ONLY for "rock" acts. It has always included soul, r&b and blues artists. This is simply the next progression and an acknowledgment of something that has a HUGE influence in our society.

I've never heard anyone complain about non-"rock" acts until this year. As Billy Joel (of all people) said, "It's all rock & roll to me!"

does the hall have alot of jazz, country and pop artist? i'd like to see the list of members, because i bet its based around "rock and roll", i can think of some huge pop stars that have had a HUGE influence on music and our society and they prob aren't included. rock and roll artists with some cross-over/influence types. possibly grandmaster flash and furious five fit in that, but to go by the standard you gave its just a "pop" HOF that will surely include tons of rappers and madona. and possibly that is what the r&r HOF is, but i need to see the list. just seems like i remember it being more like a rock based group of artist, but i will try to find that info.
  • Yeah man, next thing you know they're gonna start letting emo bands in...
  • does the hall have alot of jazz, country and pop artist? i'd like to see the list of members, because i bet its based around "rock and roll", i can think of some huge pop stars that have had a HUGE influence on music and our society and they prob aren't included. rock and roll artists with some cross-over/influence types. possibly grandmaster flash and furious five fit in that, but to go by the standard you gave its just a "pop" HOF that will surely include tons of rappers and madona. and possibly that is what the r&r HOF is, but i need to see the list. just seems like i remember it being more like a rock based group of artist, but i will try to find that info.

There has always been R&B, Soul, Funk, artists that qualify as country, rockabilly or bluegrass...there has always been NON-PERFORMING people who have made influence and impact in American pop music culture...below is the COMPLETE list of PERFORMERS inducted...note that they are NOT ALL ROCK AND ROLL artists.

Chuck Berry
    James Brown
    Ray Charles
    Sam Cooke
    Fats Domino
    The Everly Brothers
    Buddy Holly
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Elvis Presley
    Little Richard
    Robert Johnson
    Jimmie Rodgers
    Jimmy Yancey
    The Coasters
    Eddie Cochran
    Bo Diddley
    Aretha Franklin
    Marvin Gaye
    Bill Haley
    B. B. King
    Clyde McPhatter
    Ricky Nelson
    Roy Orbison
    Carl Perkins
    Smokey Robinson
    Big Joe Turner
    Muddy Waters
    Jackie Wilson
    Louis Jordan
    T-Bone Walker
    Hank Williams
    The Beach Boys
    The Beatles
    The Drifters
    Bob Dylan
    The Supremes
    Woody Guthrie
    Lead Belly
    Les Paul
    Dion
    Otis Redding
    The Rolling Stones
    The Temptations
    Stevie Wonder
    The Inkspots
    Bessie Smith
    The Soul Stirrers
    Hank Ballard
    Bobby Darin
    The Four Seasons
    The Four Tops
    The Kinks
    The Platters
    Simon and Garfunkel
    The Who
    Louis Armstrong
    Charlie Christian
    Ma Rainey
    LaVern Baker
    The Byrds
    John Lee Hooker
    The Impressions
    Wilson Pickett
    Jimmy Reed
    Ike and Tina Turner
    Howlin' Wolf
    Bobby "Blue" Bland
    Booker T. and the M.G.'s
    Johnny Cash
    The Isley Brothers
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Sam and Dave
    The Yardbirds
    Elmore James
    Professor Longhair
    Ruth Brown
    Cream
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    The Doors
    Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
    Etta James
    Van Morrison
    Sly and the Family Stone
    Dinah Washington
    The Animals
    The Band
    Duane Eddy
    The Grateful Dead
    Elton John
    John Lennon
    Bob Marley
    Rod Stewart
    Willie Dixon
    The Allman Brothers Band
    Al Green
    Janis Joplin
    Led Zeppelin
    Martha and the Vandellas
    Neil Young
    Frank Zappa
    The Orioles
    David Bowie
    Gladys Knight and the Pips
    Jefferson Airplane
    Little Willie John
    Pink Floyd
    The Shirelles
    The Velvet Underground
    Pete Seeger
    The (Young) Rascals
    The Bee Gees
    Buffalo Springfield
    Crosby, Stills and Nash
    The Jackson Five
    Joni Mitchell
    Parliament-Funkadelic
    Mahalia Jackson
    Bill Monroe
    The Eagles
    Fleetwood Mac
    The Mamas and the Papas
    Lloyd Price
    Santana
    Gene Vincent
    Jelly Roll Morton
    Billy Joel
    Curtis Mayfield
    Paul McCartney
    Del Shannon
    Dusty Springfield
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Staple Singers
    Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
    Charles Brown
    Eric Clapton
    Earth, Wind & Fire
    Lovin' Spoonful
    The Moonglows
    Bonnie Raitt
    James Taylor
    Nat "King" Cole
    Billie Holiday
    Aerosmith
    Solomon Burke
    The Flamingos
    Michael Jackson
    Queen
    Paul Simon
    Steely Dan
    Ritchie Valens
    Isaac Hayes
    Brenda Lee
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    Gene Pitney
    Ramones
    Talking Heads
    AC/DC
    The Clash
    Elvis Costello & the Attractions
    The Police
    Righteous Brothers
    Jackson Browne
    The Dells
    George Harrison
    Prince
    Bob Seger
    Traffic
    ZZ Top
    Buddy Guy
    The O'Jays
    The Pretenders
    Percy Sledge
    U2
    Black Sabbath
    Blondie
    Miles Davis
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Sex Pistols
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

• Bathgate66 wrote:
    there is now some controversy concerning Grandmaster Flash and the F 5 's induction this past week,..

apparently, the Dave Clarke 5 received more votes, but the Hall thought it would be better received to induct a Rap Pioneer , instead.

if all the ballots were in when they were supposed to be in, dc5 would have been in.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • pjny wrote:
    There has always been R&B, Soul, Funk, artists that qualify as country, rockabilly or bluegrass...there has always been NON-PERFORMING people who have made influence and impact in American pop music culture...below is the COMPLETE list of PERFORMERS inducted...note that they are NOT ALL ROCK AND ROLL artists.

Chuck Berry
    James Brown
    Ray Charles
    Sam Cooke
    Fats Domino
    The Everly Brothers
    Buddy Holly
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Elvis Presley
    Little Richard
    Robert Johnson
    Jimmie Rodgers
    Jimmy Yancey
    The Coasters
    Eddie Cochran
    Bo Diddley
    Aretha Franklin
    Marvin Gaye
    Bill Haley
    B. B. King
    Clyde McPhatter
    Ricky Nelson
    Roy Orbison
    Carl Perkins
    Smokey Robinson
    Big Joe Turner
    Muddy Waters
    Jackie Wilson
    Louis Jordan
    T-Bone Walker
    Hank Williams
    The Beach Boys
    The Beatles
    The Drifters
    Bob Dylan
    The Supremes
    Woody Guthrie
    Lead Belly
    Les Paul
    Dion
    Otis Redding
    The Rolling Stones
    The Temptations
    Stevie Wonder
    The Inkspots
    Bessie Smith
    The Soul Stirrers
    Hank Ballard
    Bobby Darin
    The Four Seasons
    The Four Tops
    The Kinks
    The Platters
    Simon and Garfunkel
    The Who
    Louis Armstrong
    Charlie Christian
    Ma Rainey
    LaVern Baker
    The Byrds
    John Lee Hooker
    The Impressions
    Wilson Pickett
    Jimmy Reed
    Ike and Tina Turner
    Howlin' Wolf
    Bobby "Blue" Bland
    Booker T. and the M.G.'s
    Johnny Cash
    The Isley Brothers
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Sam and Dave
    The Yardbirds
    Elmore James
    Professor Longhair
    Ruth Brown
    Cream
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    The Doors
    Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
    Etta James
    Van Morrison
    Sly and the Family Stone
    Dinah Washington
    The Animals
    The Band
    Duane Eddy
    The Grateful Dead
    Elton John
    John Lennon
    Bob Marley
    Rod Stewart
    Willie Dixon
    The Allman Brothers Band
    Al Green
    Janis Joplin
    Led Zeppelin
    Martha and the Vandellas
    Neil Young
    Frank Zappa
    The Orioles
    David Bowie
    Gladys Knight and the Pips
    Jefferson Airplane
    Little Willie John
    Pink Floyd
    The Shirelles
    The Velvet Underground
    Pete Seeger
    The (Young) Rascals
    The Bee Gees
    Buffalo Springfield
    Crosby, Stills and Nash
    The Jackson Five
    Joni Mitchell
    Parliament-Funkadelic
    Mahalia Jackson
    Bill Monroe
    The Eagles
    Fleetwood Mac
    The Mamas and the Papas
    Lloyd Price
    Santana
    Gene Vincent
    Jelly Roll Morton
    Billy Joel
    Curtis Mayfield
    Paul McCartney
    Del Shannon
    Dusty Springfield
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Staple Singers
    Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
    Charles Brown
    Eric Clapton
    Earth, Wind & Fire
    Lovin' Spoonful
    The Moonglows
    Bonnie Raitt
    James Taylor
    Nat "King" Cole
    Billie Holiday
    Aerosmith
    Solomon Burke
    The Flamingos
    Michael Jackson
    Queen
    Paul Simon
    Steely Dan
    Ritchie Valens
    Isaac Hayes
    Brenda Lee
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    Gene Pitney
    Ramones
    Talking Heads
    AC/DC
    The Clash
    Elvis Costello & the Attractions
    The Police
    Righteous Brothers
    Jackson Browne
    The Dells
    George Harrison
    Prince
    Bob Seger
    Traffic
    ZZ Top
    Buddy Guy
    The O'Jays
    The Pretenders
    Percy Sledge
    U2
    Black Sabbath
    Blondie
    Miles Davis
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Sex Pistols

thanks for looking this up. i forgot about it. however, i believe that it confirms what i was saying about being by far a mostly "rock/blues" list with some key influential artist from the other genres. it certainly is a "rock and roll" list though and, like i said, grandmaster flash and furious five mey fit into that. but to include snoop, mariah, dr dre and will smith would be totally out of place.

and it is more specific than a "music" HOF. for exapmple, they include miles davis and billie holiday but where is louis armstrong, john coltrane, bob james, champ basie, and that great one from dc that i can't remember right now. so jazz isn't celebrated like rock in the list. and jazz has certainly been one of the most popular and influential musical forces.

bob will and his texas playboys - fuckin cool that this county artist is included. their contribution is so huge for all music. plus, i'm a fan so.....
  • RVM1978RVM1978 Posts: 320
    There is a certain amount of BS with the RRHOF. I mean c'mon, Iggy Pop is not in the RRHOF?!? And that definitive "200" album list they came up with is total BS. Creed's "Human Clay" is in front of The Clash's "London Calling"?!? WTF?!?
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • personally, i don't think this is a good move by the HOF. i am a fan on hip hop music, but i consider it to be a different genre of music. when i hear "rock and roll" i think beatles... it's not the "pop" music hall of fame.

the beatles are the definition of pop.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • thanks for looking this up. i forgot about it. however, i believe that it confirms what i was saying about being by far a mostly "rock/blues" list with some key influential artist from the other genres. it certainly is a "rock and roll" list though and, like i said, grandmaster flash and furious five mey fit into that. but to include snoop, mariah, dr dre and will smith would be totally out of place.

and it is more specific than a "music" HOF. for exapmple, they include miles davis and billie holiday but where is louis armstrong, john coltrane, bob james, champ basie, and that great one from dc that i can't remember right now. so jazz isn't celebrated like rock in the list. and jazz has certainly been one of the most popular and influential musical forces.

bob will and his texas playboys - fuckin cool that this county artist is included. their contribution is so huge for all music. plus, i'm a fan so.....

OK, but here's the thing: Inducting Grandmaster Flash, or as you put it, "some key influential artist from the other genres," that doesn't mean that suddenly they will be inducting Mariah Carey or Snoop Dogg, nor would I support that. But will the Hall eventually induct Michael Jackson, Madonna and Wu-Tang Clan? Probably. Will I cry foul? No.

I've never argued (nor heard anyone else argue) that the RRHOF is not a "mostly "rock/blues" list." All supporters of Flash's induction agree with that observation...it's not actually an opinion, it's just a fact, so to say your statement is confirmed is fine. But what this actually does is confirm MY statement that the Hall has ALWAYS inducted non-"rock" artists as well, select as they may be.

I can't answer your question about jazz...that's a question you'd have to ask the Hall. Just because they choose to induct certain genres aside from rock doesn't mean they have to induct EVERY genre. I don't see Mozart or Beethoven either... But again the larger point is that they've never pigeonholed themselves to "ROCK," and they've always selected artists from certain genres outside of rock.

The argument that some are posting that by inducting Grandmaster Flash, next they will be inducting every pop artist under the sun is equivalent to the illogical conclusions I've heard from Bill O'Reilly that once gay marriage is allowed, people will next be marrying sheep.

• pjny wrote:
    OK, but here's the thing: Inducting Grandmaster Flash, or as you put it, "some key influential artist from the other genres," that doesn't mean that suddenly they will be inducting Mariah Carey or Snoop Dogg, nor would I support that. But will the Hall eventually induct Michael Jackson, Madonna and Wu-Tang Clan? Probably. Will I cry foul? No.

I've never argued (nor heard anyone else argue) that the RRHOF is not a "mostly "rock/blues" list." All supporters of Flash's induction agree with that observation...it's not actually an opinion, it's just a fact, so to say your statement is confirmed is fine. But what this actually does is confirm MY statement that the Hall has ALWAYS inducted non-"rock" artists as well, select as they may be.

I can't answer your question about jazz...that's a question you'd have to ask the Hall. Just because they choose to induct certain genres aside from rock doesn't mean they have to induct EVERY genre. I don't see Mozart or Beethoven either... But again the larger point is that they've never pigeonholed themselves to "ROCK," and they've always selected artists from certain genres outside of rock.

The argument that some are posting that by inducting Grandmaster Flash, next they will be inducting every pop artist under the sun is equivalent to the illogical conclusions I've heard from Bill O'Reilly that once gay marriage is allowed, people will next be marrying sheep.

i hope you're right about these new selections being essentially the same as say... bob wills and miles davis. and that it will not turn into people marrying sheep (metaphorically). obviously the hall isn't pigeonholed as "rock/blues", but from looking at the list, that is the major area of concentration. the reason i started this post was because i've heard many people on tv saying that grandmaster flash and furious five's induction "opens the door for hip hop artists", which is a very disturbing statement. but i will hope that your point of view will prevail and the hall will stay away from the sheep.
  • the beatles are the definition of pop.

i meant "pop" as an all inclusive group of popular music. which would include jazz, blues, country, rock, hip hop, disco and all the rest. the beatles are definately "pop" considering they are the most popular group of all time along with elvis, but they certainly are "rock" as well.
    dr dre

The Chronic, his work in NWA and his role as a producer should make him a lock.

I look at the list that was posted and I see it more as pioneers of their genre.

While there is a Country Music Hall of Fame, it would be nice to see everyone enshrined in one Hall of Fame.

PBM

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Well, I'm shocked that Traffic is in. Delighted, but shocked.

pjny wrote:

Michael Jackson's already in. Twice.

Also, I think the reason someone like Miles Davis is in the R n' R Hall of Fame, if it is supposed to be mainly rock n' roll, is because he was very influential and to the formation of jazz/rock fusion. Which is now a fairly large genre that I would include as part of rock n' roll.

But, I do agree it should be kept to mainly rock n' roll (and acts that influenced rock n' roll). Otherwise just call it the music hall of fame.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • i hope you're right about these new selections being essentially the same as say... bob wills and miles davis. and that it will not turn into people marrying sheep (metaphorically). obviously the hall isn't pigeonholed as "rock/blues", but from looking at the list, that is the major area of concentration. the reason i started this post was because i've heard many people on tv saying that grandmaster flash and furious five's induction "opens the door for hip hop artists", which is a very disturbing statement. but i will hope that your point of view will prevail and the hall will stay away from the sheep.

LOL! I hear ya...don't get me wrong, I agree with the principal of what you're saying...but the "opens doors" talk is eerily similar to the "sheep" talk. ;)
    yosi wrote:
    Michael Jackson's already in. Twice.
    You are correct and I feel dumb for neglecting to notice this when I'm the one that compiled the list of artists in the hall! Being in as a member of J5 and as a solo artist...WOW! That's awesome, no matter how much BS might really go with the decision-making.

• simple end all solution to the controversy. WE THE PEOPLE WHO LISTEN TO THE MUSIC WILL NICKNAME THE ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME. WE WILL NOW CALL IT THE MUSIC HALL OF FAME.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • hip hop has no place in the r&R HoF ... Rap on the other hand should be included, see Run DMC, Public Enemy, etc.

While here, still a travesty that Rush is not in.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • hip hop has no place in the r&R HoF ... Rap on the other hand should be included

At first I thought you were dealing in the semantics of hip-hop vs rap, meaning the culture vs the music, but then you noted specific arists, so I'm not sure...

In any case, many of the inductees have contributed to far more than JUST the music in their genre; they have contributed to mainstream culture and the sub-cultures affiliated with the music.

So theoretically, it is the legends of hip-hop culture that should be in