where did Buck Cherry get there name?

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Buck Cherry - Chuck Berry. earlier today the new buck cherry ballad came on the radio and my friend said, "is this chuck berry?" accidentally. and i thought, i bet this is where they came up with their name. anybody know?
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• holtzholtz Posts: 509
    from wikipedia-

According to Nelson, the band's name comes not from "a spoonerism of Chuck Berry" but rather from the name of a transvestite ("Buck Cherry") who the band often met after its early shows at the Viper Room in West Hollywood, California; the band had previously been named "Sparrow" but had to change it for legal reasons.[1]
  • holtz wrote:
    from wikipedia-

According to Nelson, the band's name comes not from "a spoonerism of Chuck Berry" but rather from the name of a transvestite ("Buck Cherry") who the band often met after its early shows at the Viper Room in West Hollywood, California; the band had previously been named "Sparrow" but had to change it for legal reasons.[1]
    they suck even more now that i know this sick tidbit of info
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I just thought it was so there idiot fans could get off saying something that sounds like fuck
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    they suck even more now that i know this sick tidbit of info

yeah,heaven forbid they show some thanks to an early fan. of course, since the fan wasn't a straight white male, they're not a real human being worthy of being treated respectfully. transvestites are sick and we should force those fuckers back into the closet asap!
  • yeah,heaven forbid they show some thanks to an early fan. of course, since the fan wasn't a straight white male, they're not a real human being worthy of being treated respectfully. transvestites are sick and we should force those fuckers back into the closet asap!

Regardless of who the band is named after, the band sucks. I think that's all that matters here. Just because somebodyelse'ssky may be a prejudiced prick and a closet case, doesn't make this band good. I'm sorry if you're a fan of them. I really am. :(
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
    Regardless of who the band is named after, the band sucks. I think that's all that matters here. Just because somebodyelse'ssky may be a prejudiced prick and a closet case, doesn't make this band good. I'm sorry if you're a fan of them. I really am. :(

eh, i like the band. if you dont, that's cool, it's all a matter of preference. i just think they're fun and i know other people disagree. no biggie. but to say they suck for a reason like that is fucking ridiculous.
  • Arent they the band that had a song years ago that went- "I love the cocaine....I'm all lit up again", etc.....

Stellar song writing.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
    Arent they the band that had a song years ago that went- "I love the cocaine....I'm all lit up again", etc.....

Stellar song writing.

that's them.
  • jeez... i've never seen so many buckcherry threads, what's with this trend lately? and what's with everybody entering them just to verbally shit on the band? you don't like them? that's fine, but why does everyone who doesn't like them feel the need to enter all of the threads and post multiple times about how they don't? they're just a band, some people happen to like listening to their music. and that's ok. i certainly don't mind it if you don't listen to them. it just seems people get all up in arms over such a small thing, that is really just a matter of opinion or preference.
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    I remember when I worked at a record store when they first came out...the statement that was given to me was this was the brother of Nina Cherry, some girl that had a 1 hit wonder song in the late 80's early 90's, some dance song, can't remember the name of the song off the top of my head.

I am not sure if it was total BS but that was what was told to me.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • momofglynn wrote:
    I remember when I worked at a record store when they first came out...the statement that was given to me was this was the brother of Nina Cherry, some girl that had a 1 hit wonder song in the late 80's early 90's, some dance song, can't remember the name of the song off the top of my head.

I am not sure if it was total BS but that was what was told to me.

That was the Ninah Cherry that sang "Woman", or "Woman's World", or some jazz like that, yeah? Her brother was actually Eagle Eye Cherry, who you might remember for the excellent "Save Tonight".

As for Buckcherry... I can see why people like them. But Josh Todd just turns me completely off them - he seems (and this is going on the barest knowledge of Buckcherry possible) like the kind of guy who'd beat his wife or something.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    As for Buckcherry... I can see why people like them. But Josh Todd just turns me completely off them - he seems (and this is going on the barest knowledge of Buckcherry possible) like the kind of guy who'd beat his wife or something.

he is kinda scary. he has more tattoos than anyone i've seen and looks like a man possessed onstage, and not in the eddie way.
  • Regardless of who the band is named after, the band sucks. I think that's all that matters here. Just because somebodyelse'ssky may be a prejudiced prick and a closet case, doesn't make this band good. I'm sorry if you're a fan of them. I really am. :(
    i said they suck even more now. so they previously sucked before i read this,but now just suck a wee bit more if that's possible. i'm not narrow minded just because they hung out with a transvestite. i judged them by the music. elton john is a gay man and i love the fuck out of his music judas priest and queen all super awesome. i'm not prejudiced whatsoever or a prick or a closet case. if your gay fine be gay but if you also have a cock and dress like a woman i tend to get a bit queezy seeing that type of shit is all... ok!!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me