Velvet Revolver should be supporting Alice in Chains

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited August 2007 in Other Music
AIC supporting VR is totally backwards IMO. Not that I dislike VR, but in comparison to AIC...... come on. Weather they have a new singer or not. Doesn't really bother me though; just hope they do a show in Dallas or OKC.
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Slash, Duff, and Matt were once in a little band called Guns N' Fucking Roses and Scott was in a band called Stone Temple Pilots. Alice in Chains is now Jerry Cantrell and a no name singer. Really, who fucking cares who opens. I'm going to see Slash and Jerry play guitar.
  • keyser_sozekeyser_soze Posts: 205
    velvet revolver sell a lot more albums than alice.

plus i think the new singer seriously damages the amount of people going to see them. for instance, i'm a huge alice fan but don't think i'd go to see them with the new singer. i'd go to see the three guys for some solo jerry action. but just don't wanna see alice with new singer. doesn't appeal to me.

simply - it's not layne.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • velvet revolver sell a lot more albums than alice.

plus i think the new singer seriously damages the amount of people going to see them. for instance, i'm a huge alice fan but don't think i'd go to see them with the new singer. i'd go to see the three guys for some solo jerry action. but just don't wanna see alice with new singer. doesn't appeal to me.

simply - it's not layne.

why dont u just go to hear the music man and quit complainin theres no Layne. I had the same opinion about GNR but i went to see them just to hear the music and forget about the politics regardin the band.
  • keyser_sozekeyser_soze Posts: 205
    why dont u just go to hear the music man and quit complainin theres no Layne. I had the same opinion about GNR but i went to see them just to hear the music and forget about the politics regardin the band.

i am thinking of the music and not the politics. if jerry wasn't with them i wouldn't want to see them either.

think of pearl jam without eddie or mike or stone or jeff.

just wouldn't be the same.

it wouldn't mean as much to me without jerry or layne and i prefer to imagine them being amazing in their prime.

i'd go see gnr. their line up changes don't bother me cos the music doesn't really mean anything to me.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    AIC supporting VR is totally backwards IMO. Not that I dislike VR, but in comparison to AIC...... come on. Weather they have a new singer or not. Doesn't really bother me though; just hope they do a show in Dallas or OKC.

You couldn't have just put this in the other thread talking about AIC opening for VR?
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    I would love to catch this tour, however I'm doubtful I'll be able too. They need to come to Wisconsin, which I doubt they will. They are playing The World in Tinley Park (I know it's named something else now, but it will always be The World to me). They are playing there but it's during the week so it may as well be Indy or St. Louis for me for how long of a drive it is. If they were playing All Sate or even the United Center I could burn a half day and go, but I can't burn a day and half to go down to Tinley Park.

I know they still have to announce the second leg but I'm not too confident they will come to WI. I'm guessing it will be mostly west coast, which sucks cause I was really hoping to catch this tour.

I guess this will have to be a good consolation of my summer concerts.

Roger Waters @ Summerfest July 2nd
    Chris Cornell @ The Rave July 17th
    Lollapalloza - All 3 days
    Rage Against the Machine @ Alpine Valley August 24th
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    pureoc wrote:

Oh yeah thanks for rubbing it in.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    velvet revolver sell a lot more albums than alice.

simply - it's not layne.

I think Layne is one of the best rock singers of all time, but Jerry Cantrell wrote 80% of AIC's music at the end of the day. Bands go on and life goes on. I cant wait to hear some new Alice with Duvall on vocals. If Layne Staley was never in the band, everyone would be saying how great Duvall is
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    pureoc wrote:
    I would love to catch this tour, however I'm doubtful I'll be able too. They need to come to Wisconsin, which I doubt they will. They are playing The World in Tinley Park (I know it's named something else now, but it will always be The World to me). They are playing there but it's during the week so it may as well be Indy or St. Louis for me for how long of a drive it is. If they were playing All Sate or even the United Center I could burn a half day and go, but I can't burn a day and half to go down to Tinley Park.

I know they still have to announce the second leg but I'm not too confident they will come to WI. I'm guessing it will be mostly west coast, which sucks cause I was really hoping to catch this tour.

I guess this will have to be a good consolation of my summer concerts.

I'll see be seeing you at almost all the same shows. It's going to be a great concert summer. :D
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    lets see here.. Velvet Revolver is releasing a new disc in a few weeks, so they are going to be touring IN SUPPORT of it. Alice in Chains havent released a new album in over a decade. VR is the main act for a reason, support their new record. Be thankful VR asked AiC to be on the tour with them
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • Oppie's got it right...it's the band that's promoting their new stuff that'll take precedence. Apparently, the new album is gathering good reviews. It's exciting, though, that AIC will be getting well-deserved exposure in this tour. Don't want them to be forgotten and hopefully appreciated by new fans!
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    this would have been a dream show if it was STP and Jerry + randoms

Velvet Revolver? i think i'll pass...
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The new VR album's gonna kick ass.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • hbrownehbrowne Posts: 57
    AIC supporting VR is totally backwards IMO.

Alice in Chains shouldn't be touring without Layne. It's ridiculous. I have zero interest in seeing them with a new singer.

Heather
    My Music Blog
    I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS
    http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    I'll see be seeing you at almost all the same shows. It's going to be a great concert summer. :D

It is going to be a good concert season, however I still would REALLY like to see this tour come to WI. Really looking forward to Rage since I have pavillion seats and the entire day off of work. (glad I can tailgate longer and not feel like I have to rush into the venue to get a good lawn seat.

Also, your Brewer's need to cool down so my Cubs can win the division. However, Fielder hands down deserves to start in the All Star Game over Puljos, that guy is a hell of a player.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    pureoc wrote:
    It is going to be a good concert season, however I still would REALLY like to see this tour come to WI. Really looking forward to Rage since I have pavillion seats and the entire day off of work. (glad I can tailgate longer and not feel like I have to rush into the venue to get a good lawn seat.

Also, your Brewer's need to cool down so my Cubs can win the division. However, Fielder hands down deserves to start in the All Star Game over Puljos, that guy is a hell of a player.

Long way to go before the season is over. But yea the Brewers are playing well again. :D
  • holtz wrote:
    You couldn't have just put this in the other thread talking about AIC opening for VR?

Well, I wanted some message board cop/nerd to get thier panties in a wad.
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I have seen Alice in Chains with Layne Staley and with William Duvall.
    When I saw them with Layne, he was horrendous. I would have loved to have gotten another shot at seeing them with him, to see if it was just an off night or something, but that did not happen. I saw AIC with Duvall and he was friggin great. It was awesome to see and hear all the old Alice in Chains tunes bought back to life. They do an awesome job. I personally do not have an issue with supporting Jerry, Mike and Sean. Wish Layne was still here, but he isn't. If they want to keep Layne's (and their) music alive, then good for them. They are doing a very respectable job of it. Those who do not think they should be doing it, that's your opinion, and you are obviously entitled, but you are missing out on a great live musical performance.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    hbrowne wrote:
    Alice in Chains shouldn't be touring without Layne. It's ridiculous. I have zero interest in seeing them with a new singer.

Heather

Having seen them live with William DuVall on vocals, I must disagree. Yes it absolutley sucks that Layne isn't with us anymore, but these songs are too damn good to be put away and never be played again. DuVall is an incredible vocalist in his own right, who isn't just looking to be a Layne clone.
  • PearlStripesPearlStripes Posts: 267
    Agreed....
    Velvet Revolver? eh...no thanks
    Alice? Epic
    The Seattle scene helped birth STP. Velvet Revolver is a friggin' side project like Audioslave.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    And both Audioslave and Velvet Revolver kick ass.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • And both Audioslave and Velvet Revolver kick ass.
    Yes they do! Screw the haters.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    think of pearl jam without eddie or mike or stone or jeff.

just wouldn't be the same.
    I know, imagine if Dave Krusen left the band.

Of course it's not the same. But since it's drummers it's different right?
    Just check out new AIC stuff on youtube, they are trying to progress, not rehash.

And I have no intentions of picking a fight, just wanted to throw that back at ya :)
  • danny72688 wrote:

Just check out new AIC stuff on youtube, they are trying to progress, not rehash.

And I have no intentions of picking a fight, just wanted to throw that back at ya :)

I'll look for the new stuff on youtube. Haven't heard anything about it. Think you could post what you've found here for us?
  • danny72688 wrote:

If you could post that stuff........ I didn't find anything.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Velvet Revolver can't touch anything AIC has ever done, but I think AIC needs to be put to rest, or atleast change the band name, there is no emotion without Layne
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Alice died when Layne did RIP. Imo it's a disgrace what they are doing
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    plus i think the new singer seriously damages the amount of people going to see them. for instance, i'm a huge alice fan but don't think i'd go to see them with the new singer.

really? hmm, because I saw them last year in SC and the show was completely sold out at $30 a pop and the venue was packed to the gills. and at 30 years old, I appeared to be one of the oldest people watching the show. so apparently, you have no clue or are underestimating how many younger people are getting into AIC. and the audience wasn't standing around bored either, they were ROCKING OUT for the whole 2.5 hour show. so if you choose not to go because you think you owe some kind of duty to Layne Staley, by all means stay home. but I WILL go to see AIC any chance I get, no matter who their singer is. watching Cantrell and Inez rock out were the life of the show anyway.