Chris Cornell is underrated

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited July 2007 in Other Music
This has to be the case because if ask the average person on the street who Chris Cornell is, they have no clue. Even most rock fans probably won't know, and he is obviously one of the best of the last twenty years. Now if you say to the average rock fan, "He's the singer for soundgarden" They are likely say that he is amazing. And I find that the average casual rock fan likes audioslave songs, but yet most people still don't know his name. Kind of a shame considering the talent he has in singing, song writing and lyric writing. The kind of combination that we havn't seen since Bowie. I guess it is mostly because of the packaging, but I think he will get all the recognition he deserves as long as he keeps putting out solo cds.
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    This has to be the case because if ask the average person on the street who Chris Cornell is, they have no clue. Even most rock fans probably won't know, and he is obviously one of the best of the last twenty years. Now if you say to the average rock fan, "He's the singer for soundgarden" They are likely say that he is amazing. And I find that the average casual rock fan likes audioslave songs, but yet most people still don't know his name. Kind of a shame considering the talent he has in singing, song writing and lyric writing. The kind of combination that we havn't seen since Bowie. I guess it is mostly because of the packaging, but I think he will get all the recognition he deserves as long as he keeps putting out solo cds.

Well, the problem is that his work post-Soundgarden has failed to live up to the awesomeness that was Soundgarden. So, he's always gonna be "that guy from Soundgarden" rather than "Chris Cornell". Yes, it's kind of a shame, but it's the truth. If it weren't, he wouldn't play so many Soundgarden songs at his solo shows.
  • Well, the problem is that his work post-Soundgarden has failed to live up to the awesomeness that was Soundgarden. So, he's always gonna be "that guy from Soundgarden" rather than "Chris Cornell". Yes, it's kind of a shame, but it's the truth. If it weren't, he wouldn't play so many Soundgarden songs at his solo shows.

He also plays a lot of Audioslave songs which get equal applause and sing-a-longs. Plus the relatively obscure "Sunshower" is one of the favorites at a Cornell show. I don't think anyone would say that Robert Plant has achieved what he did in Zeppelin, and he plays plenty of LZ songs at his shows. And you may say that he hasn't live up to Soundgarden's awesomeness, but that can't be anything but YOUR personal opinion, especially considering that the first audioslave sold as many copies as any SG album. And, IMO, the only problem with Euphoria Morning is that the world wasn't ready for an album that good and it didn't get the proper attention. Audioslave had a huge fan base, and that is the truth.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
    He also plays a lot of Audioslave songs which get equal applause and sing-a-longs. Plus the relatively obscure "Sunshower" is one of the favorites at a Cornell show. I don't think anyone would say that Robert Plant has achieved what he did in Zeppelin, and he plays plenty of LZ songs at his shows. And you may say that he hasn't live up to Soundgarden's awesomeness, but that can't be anything but YOUR personal opinion, especially considering that the first audioslave sold as many copies as any SG album. And, IMO, the only problem with Euphoria Morning is that the world wasn't ready for an album that good and it didn't get the proper attention. Audioslave had a huge fan base, and that is the truth.

The first audioslave record was a novelty that drew attention from both Soundgarden fans and Rage fans. You can't give Chris Cornell all of the credit for their success -- commercially or otherwise.

And I agree that my opinion of his not living up to the level of Soundgarden is an opinion. However, my point is that said opinion is not solely my opinion. Other people share it. ;) And that's why he is "the guy from Soundgarden" to most people.

Don't get me wrong. I still think he is talented. And I'm going to see him on Sunday in Philly. I just really think Soundgarden was soooooo fucking great, that his solo work, or any other work, will ever live up to what that was.

So it's about time they all realize that, and get the fuck back together and start making records again. :D
  • all i know is that cornell is overrated on these forums cause i think everyone here knows who he is.... i for one think he's horrible.... i miss him from the soundgarden days but all good things must come to an end... basically, he's too old.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I think Chris is incredibly talented, but outside of Soundgarden and Audioslave's first album (with the exception of a couple other A.S songs) his music has been shit.

I like Chris, but maybe he just needs to take a break for a bit...and if he has another band, try not being an egoistical prick.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    all i know is that cornell is overrated on these forums cause i think everyone here knows who he is.... i for one think he's horrible.... i miss him from the soundgarden days but all good things must come to an end... basically, he's too old.

I don't think he's too old. I think his fellow bandmates from Soundgarden carried him a lot during those days. That was an amazing group of musicians.
    Such a shame...PJ def. benefited from that though! Hail Hail Mr. Matt Cameron!
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    basically, he's too old.

You wanna say that about Pearl Jam?! They're the same age. What does age matter!
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    47 across. Big ogre type creaturey thingy that lives under bridges and eats goats (5)

T R _ L L

hmmmmmmmm
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    sooo awesome to finally see some chris cornell appreciation on this board. the man doesn't receive nearly enough coodies on here. i mean, his music is revolutionary, and the man is hot stuff. if it wasn't for this thread i would've started a similar one.

some good posting in here.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    Chris Cornell is underrated.

yet his bank balance would suggest otherwise.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    I'll tell you one thing about Chris Cornell, that I didn't mention in my previous posts...

He needs to lose that god-awful facial hair and start wearing *only* shirts with sleeves in them. :D :rolleyes:

I'm going to write a little note about that, and send it up to him on stage as a paper airplane on Sunday. :D
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Audioslave were not a good band, they did not make any good albums. Hence Cornell being associated with his work of 15years ago.

saw soundgarden at the brixton academy in 96 supporting the 'down on the upside' record(the start of the declime, unless you wanna mark it by album tracks in which case id say 'Like Suicide' from superunknown). That night they were burnt out, no cohesion amongst the band they were as tight as a whores fanny. did enjoy meeting plenty of people who were into exactly the same music as I was tho.

to put the billie jean cover on his solo album is a bit of a surprise to me as well, yeah it displays his voice but still shoulda been a b-side.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    yeh its sad

i saw cornell @ astoria and the crowd went more crazy for audioslave songs rather than stuff like jesus christ pose...
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i think as the years go on chris will break more and more out of the "guy form soundgarden" name. i think he will have so many albums under his belt, and such huge colaberations, that he will go down in history as one of the greatest rock musicians ever.

soundgarden was his best work in my opinion.

ultramega ok - ok
    louder than love - very good, great at moments
    badmotorfinger - excellent straight through
    superunknown - absolutely amazing. all that can be said.
    down on the upside - an epic masterpiece. best work he's ever done. the way that it all comes together, the lyrics, the music, the vocals, the production, and the phsychedelic edge just really makes it shine. only brilliant musicians can pull this off.

temple of the dog was a great colaberation, i'm sure everyone loves

temple of the dog - fantastic

now, as for him being solo, i believe that his 2 albums were verrrrry very different. as far as him live NOW i believe his voice is more crisp and dynamic than ever. saw him in boston and holy shit. he may not be able to hit the extremely high notes as used to just as well, but overall he's at his live best.

euphoria morning - his best vocals ever, most intimate and innovative music, and touchingly painfelt lyrics. once again, an absolute masterpiece of its kind. the music is so dreamy and echoed and phsychedelicy, i don't know how to explain it. but it adds so much depth to his music and lyrics and man, this is fabulous.
    carry on - mixed reviews by many here. i believe it's great. not as good as euphoria, or even close for that matter but it is good. idk why people knock it so much. it's a mix of many styles of music. chris said himself it's the album he wanted to make for many years showcasing the music he's loved. that's great. i think for what it is, and what he was shooting for, it worked. and hell, if you don't like it, when he plays live he doesn't act like a dick and only play new stuff, he'll give you a taste of everything so you can enjoy.

audioslave was excellent in my opinion. people who say it didn't work just couldn't get over the fact he was working with rage, or that rage was working with him. it fit perfectly, strangely enough. they had some dubs, but very very few.

audioslave - fantastic album. straight through.
    out of exile - great, but not the whole album.
    revelations - awesome once again, some of their best

overall i think chris cornell has had a very rewarding career and turned his life around, and that shows in his music. he can't write those depressing songs anymore. thats ok. respect the man for the music he's made and is still making whether it's not your favorite or it is. he's done brilliant work and you cannot deny that. many people don't know him by his name and he is underrated, but hey i think all of my favorite bands/musicians are underrated because i think the whole world should love them. we all know that is just unrealistic. anyways, i believe he's going to gain more and more of a positive and accomplished name for himself and go down in history. rightly so, because he is a genious in every sense of the word.
    peace
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    all i know is that cornell is overrated on these forums cause i think everyone here knows who he is.... i for one think he's horrible.... i miss him from the soundgarden days but all good things must come to an end... basically, he's too old.

CC is overrated same as Eddie is overrated
    Not possible IMO
    Seeing is believing

and no disrespect to Soundgarden and Audioslave which I'm huge fans of and of course would love to see again but I'll take Chris in whatever incarnation he
    chooses
    esp when he continues to blow my mind at his live shows
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows