Options

Who went to Lolla last year?

BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
edited April 2008 in The Porch
I went but stayed outside of Chicago. Wanted to know where you all stayed and a review on the place. We are trying to stay as close as possible this year. Anyone w/ any info I would greatly appreciate.
Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I stayed at the Travelodge. It's pretty dumpy but is 5 minutes from Grant Park which was the most important thing.

All we needed was a bed and a shower, and that's about what you get. Going again this year and have the Travelodge booked again.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    Hotel Blake

4 blocks from Grant

classy classy classy, and from what i remember didnt break the wallet either

highly suggest you look into it, and was a BREEZE to get to from the airport (2 dollar Orange line ride one block away)
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I think the Congress hotel was the closest hotel with the best price.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,218
    I stayed at the Best Western. Nice, clean, 5 minutes from the fest. Nice breakfast shop right on the corner just outside the front door. Will stay there again next time PJ plays Lolla.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    I stayed at the Swissotel, within walking distance of the park and very nice. Swanky and about $150 a night if I recall, but I shared it with others.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    4Powers20 wrote:
    I stayed at the Best Western. Nice, clean, 5 minutes from the fest. Nice breakfast shop right on the corner just outside the front door. Will stay there again next time PJ plays Lolla.

stayed there also ,,it was all good
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    the congress hotel got BADD reviews here on the board when people were asking where to stay for lolla. being the baddass i am ;) we stayed there ANYWAY!!! while all you foos that dissed the place stayed further away and said this or that hotel is a short cab ride or train ride away......WE walked across the street and were at lolla in 2 minutes. we got to "shop" there and go right back to the room to leave our stuff and walk right back to enjoy the day. it was fun seeing everyone waiting for cabs and trains! :D seriously, STAY AT THE CONGRESS!!! theres a really good bar there and the people are awesome!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    JoWesleyJoWesley Posts: 109
    We stayed at Hard Rock. It was a short walk but it felt like 10 miles after the shows at night. For what we paid, I am not sure it was really worth it..but I guess it was ok. It was a super close walk to the Emerald Loop though. :D
    Aug 93 - Toronto Mar 94 - Ann Arbor
    Sep 96 - Toledo Aug 98 - East Lansing
    Oct 00 - Detroit Apr 03 - Cleveland
    Jun 03 - Detroit May 06 - Grand Rapids & Detroit
    Jul 07 - Lolla Jun 08 - WPB & Tampa
    Vedder: DC 1&2, Chicago 2
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I stayed at The James on Rush and Ontario. It was really really really cool. Kings of Leon stayed there aswell. Probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, and you have a flat screen right above your bed which was nice.

http://www.jameshotels.com/chicago/index.php
  • Options
    we stayed at Club Quarters. It was a nice walk to Grant, probably farther than you're looking for (probably just over half mile)...BUT it was very cheap and very clean. The rooms were pretty small.

They had our block closed off because they were filming Batman. We were only allowed to walk down there because we were staying at the hotel.

i can't wait to get to lolla again, PJ or not. it was a great time.
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    We stayed at Hilton Palmer House and it was first class all the way and not terribly expensive... It was less than a 10 minute walk to the festival and maybe a $5 cab ride if you don't feel like walking. Alot of decent bars and restaurants near by and pretty much anything else you might need. I would highly recommend it but wherever you decide to stay book early cause they will sell quickly.
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    dmwadedmwade Posts: 45
    I stayed at the Congress last year as well. Sure, it was nothing too special or anything, but the reviews did seem to be a little harsh. Plus you sure can't beat the location and price that weekend. I'll be back at Lolla again this year, but crashing at a buddy's apt a bit farther away.
    United Center - Jun 29, 1998 ** Deer Creek Music Center - Aug 17, 1998
    Deer Creek Music Center - Aug 18, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000 ** Savvis Center - Apr 22, 2003 ** Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003 ** United Center - Jun 18, 2003 ** Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** United Center - May 17, 2006 ** The Vic Theatre - Aug 02, 2007 ** Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** United Center - Aug 24, 2009 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    SENROCK! wrote:
    the congress hotel got BADD reviews here on the board when people were asking where to stay for lolla. being the baddass i am ;) we stayed there ANYWAY!!! while all you foos that dissed the place stayed further away and said this or that hotel is a short cab ride or train ride away......WE walked across the street and were at lolla in 2 minutes. we got to "shop" there and go right back to the room to leave our stuff and walk right back to enjoy the day. it was fun seeing everyone waiting for cabs and trains! :D seriously, STAY AT THE CONGRESS!!! theres a really good bar there and the people are awesome!

I'll second that! We were extremely worried about the reviews the hotel had gotten but seriously it was NOT bad at all. Not the Ritz but, like 99.999% of the people going to Lolla, we just wanted somewhere close where we could sleep and shower. We had the greatest view of Grant Park from our room and could hear the bands soundchecking in the AM.

Don't worry about the strikers (if they're still there) just use the side exit/entrance. That's what we did the whole time. They also have an onsite bar with a couple of pool tables that serves your basic bar food (burgers, sandwiches, salads), a full service restaurant and another rest. that serves breakfast (buffet or regular menu) and room service. Plus there are plenty of "good" places to eat nearby if you choose not to eat the food at Lolla (which wasn't bad either). Also, I think the closest liquor store was about 2 blocks away. Beware though, water will set you back quite a bit at the gift shop. I think they wanted something like $45 for a case. Granted it was for 1 liter bottles, but that's insane. I think there's a CVS in the area but we didn't venture far enough to find it. We did buy some at some point but I can't for the life of me remember where. You WILL definitely need it though, it's extremely hot in Grant Park. We ended up using the 2 waters to 1 beer rule and managed pretty good but I'm sure the heat got to a lot of people that used the no water/all beer rule ;) Another thing that's helpful is a mister fan/water bottle. I think we saw 1 other person with one the whole weekend, everyone kept asking us where we got them (at WalMart). Just bring it in empty and refill it at the water stations once inside.

One other thing, we took the L from Midway and it was probably a 10-15 minute walk to the hotel.
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    4Powers20 wrote:

What he said. :)
  • Options
    SilverSeedSilverSeed Posts: 336
    Jesika537 wrote:
    We stayed at Hilton Palmer House and it was first class all the way and not terribly expensive... It was less than a 10 minute walk to the festival and maybe a $5 cab ride if you don't feel like walking. Alot of decent bars and restaurants near by and pretty much anything else you might need. I would highly recommend it but wherever you decide to stay book early cause they will sell quickly.

Yeah we stayed there too. Pretty nice except for the elevators breaking... Walking the 18 flights or whatever in 100 degree heat was not so cool. Also their internet was trash and almost kept us from getting pumpkins tickets that went on sale that weekend. Really gorgeous hotel though, and we got them to comp a night for the stuff that went wrong.

As for getting to Grant, the walk wasn't long but was definitely real hot. We had cabs turn us down because it was too close.
    When Jesus said "Love your enemies" he probably didn't mean kill them...

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • Options
    Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    SilverSeed wrote:
    Yeah we stayed there too. Pretty nice except for the elevators breaking... Walking the 18 flights or whatever in 100 degree heat was not so cool. Also their internet was trash and almost kept us from getting pumpkins tickets that went on sale that weekend. Really gorgeous hotel though, and we got them to comp a night for the stuff that went wrong.

As for getting to Grant, the walk wasn't long but was definitely real hot. We had cabs turn us down because it was too close.

They comped us the first night too... We never got turned down by a cab but that could have been because I was 8 months pregnant.
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    hampton inn suites
    longer walk from the park, but it was fine.
  • Options
    We stayed at the Hard Rock. It's a five minute walk from Grant Park. It was worth every penny.
  • Options
    came from philly and stayed across the street from grant park at the congress plaza hotel. place was really old but clean and you cant ask for better location for lolla, plus the price was really reasonable. it also made it a lot easier for us to sneak beer in the concert instead of paying $8 per cup;)
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Tangerine wrote:
    I'll second that! We were extremely worried about the reviews the hotel had gotten but seriously it was NOT bad at all. Not the Ritz but, like 99.999% of the people going to Lolla, we just wanted somewhere close where we could sleep and shower. We had the greatest view of Grant Park from our room and could hear the bands soundchecking in the AM.

Don't worry about the strikers (if they're still there) just use the side exit/entrance. That's what we did the whole time. They also have an onsite bar with a couple of pool tables that serves your basic bar food (burgers, sandwiches, salads), a full service restaurant and another rest. that serves breakfast (buffet or regular menu) and room service. Plus there are plenty of "good" places to eat nearby if you choose not to eat the food at Lolla (which wasn't bad either). Also, I think the closest liquor store was about 2 blocks away. Beware though, water will set you back quite a bit at the gift shop. I think they wanted something like $45 for a case. Granted it was for 1 liter bottles, but that's insane. I think there's a CVS in the area but we didn't venture far enough to find it. We did buy some at some point but I can't for the life of me remember where. You WILL definitely need it though, it's extremely hot in Grant Park. We ended up using the 2 waters to 1 beer rule and managed pretty good but I'm sure the heat got to a lot of people that used the no water/all beer rule ;) Another thing that's helpful is a mister fan/water bottle. I think we saw 1 other person with one the whole weekend, everyone kept asking us where we got them (at WalMart). Just bring it in empty and refill it at the water stations once inside.

One other thing, we took the L from Midway and it was probably a 10-15 minute walk to the hotel.
    yeah the view was sweet! and i forgot about the pool tables. Theres a good jukeboxxx up in there too and plenty of sofas and lounge chairs to chill. the cvs is to the left if ure facing grant park, right across from THE BEAN!!!! :D damn i love chicago!!! seriously, people should stay at the congress.
    heres a pic of The Congress taken from the bridge that leads into lolla!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Lee_JamLee_Jam Posts: 71
    arlington house hotel

cheap and cheerful. right beside the train aswell

best thing was how man pearljam fans that stayed there though:)

Oh how i would love to go this year again. RATM = yummmmmm
    How to be happy and true is the quest we're taking on together.

Take it on, on, on, on, on.
    Take it on, on, on, on, on.
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on East Hubbard. Really cool hotel with free internet access in rooms. 24 hour store in the lobby and right next to a bunch of cool bars including Mother Hubbards.

It's a little walk to Grant Park, but not that big of a deal. If you don't wanna walk, it's right next to the red line(Grand) which you can take down to Jackson or wherever.

Anyway, this year, I'll be staying in my apartment. :D
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    stayed at the W - easy walk to grant park. small rooms, but nice.

on the other hand, room service was outrageously expensive...don't do it! the fees/charges were more than my meal - oatmeal and fruit cost almost $40!!!!!!! :eek:
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    stayed the best western grant park, four nights for 450.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    we (husband, me and two teenage sons)
    stayed at the Homewood Suites.
    it wasn;t too far but after the shows at night it wasn't easy getting back
    because the trains are packed, the cabs are non-existent (well they were in our case) and we were soooo exhausted.
    one of the nights i thought my younger son was going to pass out
    (we walked and it seemed like miles and miles... though it wasn;t...
    it was probably under 1.5 miles)

it wasn;t cheap though it did include breakfast and a small kitchen.
    and free computer/interenet use for guests.

i recommend staying As Close to Grant Park As Possible :)

what a great weekend :)
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I stayed at The James on Rush and Ontario. It was really really really cool. Kings of Leon stayed there aswell. Probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, and you have a flat screen right above your bed which was nice.

http://www.jameshotels.com/chicago/index.php

I stayed there for a work conference and bumped into "Vinny" from Entourage...and I agree about the bed...amazing.
    "Mike McCready, he isn't from Chicago but I imagine he's Irish"

- Eddie Vedder- 6/18/03

• Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    I stayed at my friends apartment. It worked out pretty well, we stayed for free, and there were some pretty nice places to eat around there. You would have to ride the train to and from though as she lives on Depaul's campus, and I am really not sure if there is any vacancy this year, especially for people she doesnt know, but you asked where I stayed, so I thought I would share. I would definitely recommend it.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    stayed at Club Quarters Central Loop...didnt realize they had only single beds...we were travelling as a group...tiny rooms...

Staying at the Congress this year...wow what a lineup!
    "Mike McCready, he isn't from Chicago but I imagine he's Irish"

- Eddie Vedder- 6/18/03

• Options
    Krisdababe wrote:
    We stayed at the Hard Rock. It's a five minute walk from Grant Park. It was worth every penny.

Yeah, we had fun! I met Jim James in the elevator and saw Amy Winehouse and Lady Ga Ga bummed a smoke from me out front. BTW, you cant smoke inside if that will help to influence your decision.

Some of the sponsors of Lolla were using the hotel as a headquarters of sorts and left us a bag FULL of free shit on the bed. They also were using the hotel as a VIP spot for special concerts. If you had your room key on you, you get in VIP style over all the other "cool" people, posing, standing outside who had probably paid an exorbitant amount of money, or had to have "connections" to get in.

One of the concerts was an acoustic Plain White T's show. One of the other nights, Danny Masterson, That 70's Show's Hyde, was DJing at the party.

Oh, and order pizza from Ranalli's while you are there in Chicago. It is FABTASTIC!
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I went, but I live in the city.. so obviously I didn't stay in a hotel. But, if you look for a hotel on Michigan Ave like 300 N down to like 1000 S they line the park, and you'll be super close.