Just fell in love with the Foo Fighters 1st album

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I've been going through my albums that I haven't listened to recently. This week I came across this one that a friend gave me several years ago. I don't think I've ever listened to it, except may be "big me". I haven't been able to put it down. I have the 2nd FF album and wasn't that impressed by it, but this one fucking rocks through and through; I'm hooked. I've always liked FF singles when they're on the radio, but I didn't know they could be this good. I may pull out the 2nd someday and give it another chance.
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    welcome to 1995....:p

kidding.....:D

great album....:)
  • believe me, in someways I've stayed in 95 since 95. I've just been missing this one.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    Didn't Grohl play all the insturments on the first album? I think he put together the band after he made the rerord. I have to dissagree with you on the second album. IMO its their best one.
  • the first 2 albums slay anything they have put out since.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • mr bungle wrote:
    Didn't Grohl play all the insturments on the first album? I think he put together the band after he made the rerord.

it's really not even a record.

They were all demos, and some record company guy said "let's just put it out as it"

but yeah, you're correct. Grohl did everything and put together a live band after.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • I've been going through my albums that I haven't listened to recently. This week I came across this one that a friend gave me several years ago. I don't think I've ever listened to it, except may be "big me". I haven't been able to put it down. I have the 2nd FF album and wasn't that impressed by it, but this one fucking rocks through and through; I'm hooked. I've always liked FF singles when they're on the radio, but I didn't know they could be this good. I may pull out the 2nd someday and give it another chance.

If 'The Color and the Shape' is their second album, you need to listen again. It's still as great as it was 10 years ago. One of my favorite albums.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    The first two are the only ones worth repeat listens.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • nowayimfaithfullnowayimfaithfull Posts: 2,051
    I've been going through my albums that I haven't listened to recently. This week I came across this one that a friend gave me several years ago. I don't think I've ever listened to it, except may be "big me". I haven't been able to put it down. I have the 2nd FF album and wasn't that impressed by it, but this one fucking rocks through and through; I'm hooked. I've always liked FF singles when they're on the radio, but I didn't know they could be this good. I may pull out the 2nd someday and give it another chance.

static rules, great album

I just fell in love with their new album
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I wished the B-side "Winnebago" was on that record. It was what they opened the first tour with in P-town.

I remember having the glow-in-the-dark vinyl single for that somewhere.
    NERDS!
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    TCATS didn't do anything for me really either. I mean, It's got some solid songs, but It just didn't flow well overall. That first album is a classic. Love it. It sucks they only play like one live song off of it live now. Well actually last time I saw them they played 2 off it but big me was done acoustic like on "skin and bones."

The foos are an ECELLENT live band to see though. They do play "Greatest hots type setlists though, but are still amazing to see live.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    mr bungle wrote:
    Didn't Grohl play all the insturments on the first album? I think he put together the band after he made the rerord. I have to dissagree with you on the second album. IMO its their best one.

imo they've never been as good as they were on TCATS. for me its their best.:)

They were all demos, and some record company guy said "let's just put it out as it"

but yeah, you're correct. Grohl did everything and put together a live band after.

well it sure a hell looks and sounds like one to me. a disc of songs not a record? whats the difference. :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I'm seeing them on saturday night. I am super excited.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I pulled out the first album for its first listen in a long long time back in January as I prepared to see them in memphis and it was actually a much better album...and by my standards, it was indeed an album...than I remembered thinking it was initially. FF's work has been inconsistant in my opinion but overall I think their catalogue is pretty strong. I couldn't stop listening to the new one for months and it is my favorite
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • it's really not even a record.

Surely if a bunch of demos or B-sides get put on a studio album, they then become A-sides.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I'm seeing them on saturday night. I am super excited.

Enjoy the concert. They put on an awesome show. Dave Grohl really knows how to work the crowd and he's pretty damn funny too.
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259

That is a good record. I need to get another copy of that. Mine is somewhere in a basement in St. Louis, and I know I can't count on my mom to have time to dig around and find it. :D

Not crazy about any subsequent FF records anymore, but I still like that one.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I wished the B-side "Winnebago" was on that record. It was what they opened the first tour with in P-town.
    It's not on the first album because it's on Pocketwatch.

As for how the 1st album came about... there seems to be some confusion. What happened was Grohl wrote Pocketwatch (Under the pseudonym Late!) during his time at Nirvana then decided to release it when Nirvana ended. He got it on smalltime distribution on cassette just so he could tell his friends and then they could buy it. One of his friends got it, liked it, and then somehow sent it to a record company and let them know it was grohl. The record company liked it some they asked Grohl to write so more, and that was the first foo album.

It wasn't really a load of B sides slammed together, since Grohl never had any intention of releasing them. Even if Nirvana went on I doubt they would have become B sides, out of all the songs Grohl wrote only Marigold was released under Nirvana's name. But you're right about the band not coming together until after the first album.

My teenage foo geekdom was never really lost :o As for the best foo album. I'd say TCATS. The first album is good for raw energy, but is a bit simple. Would've loved to have seen them in 97/98 on the TCATS tour, especially since they used to play The Colour & The Shape (the song).
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    Don't forget about the American "Big Me" EP which has some killer extra songs from the album sessions and some live tracks.