STP doesn't really do it for me anymore

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Except Tiny Music, which is totally classic IMO, all the other albums seem so generic and soulless to me. And thats quite dissappointing considering they were my absolute favorite ten years ago.
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i only have their greatest hits, which is an awesome disc. but i never really fell in love with their albums.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    STP had some great songs, but I never really got into them album wise. Now one of their last houston shows was played on the radio and it was awesome.
    I own their greatest hits disc and even some of those songs I don't like. But they do have some great songs. I love their Zeppelin cover of "dancing days" too, it was done very well. I'd still love to see them live though. I read in some interview someone posted a few months back, that Weiland hopes to reunite STP for a solo tour to put a positive spin on therir departure, instead of his drug addiction which is why they broke up in the first place.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i think everything after Core was great. Core I could see being "generic and soulless." Other than that I love them.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    I thought No.4 was their best album.

Purple being my least fav.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    NickyNooch wrote:

I used to listen to Purple religiously back in '94/'95.

I thought Tiny Music... was solid as well.

Got a chance to see them live in '93.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    ive seen them 6 or 7 x and i think they were pretty darn good

and purple is an awesome album
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    you people are nuts...go listen to Atlanta or Kichenware & Candybars right now!
    "It's all happening"
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    Other than an occasional song on the radio, I haven't made a conscious choice to listen to them. It's not that I hate STP or think STP are bad, I just have other bands that I'm more interested in at the moment.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    purple is their best record, by far IMHO

saw em with the meat puppets that tour, and WOW were they good.
    Much better than I thought.
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    Shangri-La actually has some great songs on it as well, and overall I think its much better than No. 4. Purple and Tiny Music are both classic albums, beginning to end. The Core stuff was much better live than on the album.

Seeing them at The Riv on their farewell tour is still one of the best concert experiences I have had. they played a song that they had never played much but had always been one of my favs...Still Remains.

Date: October 1, 2002
    City: Chicago, IL
    Venue: Riviera Theater
    Additional Info: Highly anticipated first club show of this fall tour. Thanks to Matt, Mike DeLeurere and Manish Bhatia for the setlist.

SET LIST:
    Lounge Fly
    Crackerman
    Big Bang Baby
    Vasoline
    Big Empty
    Wicked Garden
    Dead and Bloated
    Dancing Days
    Sour Girl
    Creep
    Sin
    Still Remains
    Day Tripper (Beatles cover teaser)
    Hollywood Bitch
    Trippin
    Interstate Love Song
    Heartbreaker (Led Zeppelin cover teaser)
    Plush
    Down
    Kitchenware and Candybars
    Sex Type Thing
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    lowlight10 wrote:
    Shangri-La actually has some great songs on it as well, and overall I think its much better than No. 4. Purple and Tiny Music are both classic albums, beginning to end. The Core stuff was much better live than on the album.

Seeing them at The Riv on their farewell tour is still one of the best concert experiences I have had. they played a song that they had never played much but had always been one of my favs...Still Remains.

Date: October 1, 2002
    City: Chicago, IL
    Venue: Riviera Theater
    Additional Info: Highly anticipated first club show of this fall tour. Thanks to Matt, Mike DeLeurere and Manish Bhatia for the setlist.

SET LIST:
    Lounge Fly
    Crackerman
    Big Bang Baby
    Vasoline
    Big Empty
    Wicked Garden
    Dead and Bloated
    Dancing Days
    Sour Girl
    Creep
    Sin
    Still Remains
    Day Tripper (Beatles cover teaser)
    Hollywood Bitch
    Trippin
    Interstate Love Song
    Heartbreaker (Led Zeppelin cover teaser)
    Plush
    Down
    Kitchenware and Candybars
    Sex Type Thing

still remains AWESOME SONG
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    always thought of STP as a singles band. their records were pretty spotty if you ask me. there's some amazing non-single stuff on Purple, i'm not to familiar w/ Tiny Music though. No.4 was... i don't know. outside of the singles and "Atlanta" was it really that good? Shangra La De Da was fairly good. Core had it's moments but really wasn't that great.

that's why i own the Greatest hits double disc and i have Purple burned.

i think i'm gonna go get Atlanta on iTunes right now....!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    always thought of STP as a singles band. their records were pretty spotty if you ask me. there's some amazing non-single stuff on Purple, i'm not to familiar w/ Tiny Music though. No.4 was... i don't know. outside of the singles and "Atlanta" was it really that good? Shangra La De Da was fairly good. Core had it's moments but really wasn't that great.

doesn't the double disc just have dvd footage?
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    NickyNooch wrote:
    I thought No.4 was their best album.

Opinions are so funny. I think the complete opposite of you

I'd say:
    1. Purple
    2. Tiny Music
    3. Core
    4. Shangri La
    5. #4 (worst vocal melodies ever!! Scott was completely lost on this recording)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296

ohhh, you gotta get Tiny Music....that was the peak of that band.
    "It's all happening"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    doesn't the double disc just have dvd footage?
    yes
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    still remains AWESOME SONG

That's one of my all-time favorites. :D I could listen to it over and over.