Is it possible?

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Is it possible in the modern era for a subversive rock band to take the world by storm like GNR in '87 and PJ and Nirvana in '01? And has it really been that long since this has happened? Wow...

I was just watching the Live! Tonight! Sold out!! dvd by Nirvana and was blown away again at the idea that such a dark, hard rock band became the biggest band in the world.

Granted, GNR weren't known for their heady lyrics, but they were very much an underground band in their own right.

I just don't see any possibility of this happening today. There are plenty of great rock bands out there on the edges but I think rock music as a whole has kind of been slowly pushed away from being the preferred music of choice for kids, even white suburban kids. They all seem to want to listen to rap these days. Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    It's possible. I'd say by 2011 the current trends will start to die out. Cheesy 80's dance pop essentially died in 1991, and the rap/rnb shit that tops the charts these days will eventually lose it's hold as people grow more weary of it. Nothing stays at the top forever.

Even now in 2008, it seems the 2000's will be known more for the stereotypical emo bands/culture than anything else.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    No chance anymore
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    there will never be another biggest band in the world. Music is too fragmented. You can be a high school student and post songs on your myspace page now. Bands can get talked about on blogs and get on mag covers before even releasing a cd (ala Vampire weekend).

The current genre of music that seems to be the biggest draw now, is indie rock. But even that is so vague and dense. Arcade Fire couldnt be more different than Bright Eyes or the Shins, yet all are indie rock.

That said, I think waiting around for the next Nirvana is useless. Indie rock, the scene, the genre as diverse as it is, is the next big thing. Pitchfork, Stereogum and Brooklyn Vegan are the hotspots for news.

Indie rock is THE genre or scene right now. Although I dont play in a band or play an instrument, I sense it, at gigs, it has the energy and the intensity of what was going on in the early 90's.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Stop waiting for a band to change THE world and let a band change YOUR world.

Minutemen - History Lesson Pt 2

"Our band could be your life
    real names'd be proof
    me and mike watt played for years
    punk rock changed our lives

we learned punk rock in hollywood
    drove up from pedro
    we were fucking corndogs
    we'd go drink and pogo

mr. narrator
    this is bob dylan to me
    my story could be his songs
    i'm his soldier child

our band is scientist rock
    but i was e. bloom and richard hell,
    joe strummer, and john doe
    me and mike watt, playing guitar"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"