Defining songs of your childhood

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited April 2008 in Other Music
So I'm speaking of your pre-puberty years. When you were still young and innocent and E Street Shuffle. I heard Sister Christian the other day and it instantly took me to a special place and special time. It almost brought a tear to my eye. Things were so much easier when you're 10! Anyway, here's a list of a few that always make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Sister Christian - Night Ranger
Come Dancing - The Kinks
Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
Running on Empty - Jackson Browne
Layla - Derek and the Dominoes
Take it Easy - The Eagles
Fire and Rain - James Taylor
Cuts Like a Knife - Bryan Adams
Hard Days Night - The Beatles
Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears

Just a few off the top of my head...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Some of the defining songs of my first ten years:

I Mother Earth - Used To Be Alright
    Tragically Hip - Highway Girl (Double Suicide version)
    Bush X - Everything Zen
    Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings
    Pearl Jam - Release

And pretty much everything by Weird Al Yankovic.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Enter Sandman - Metallica was the first American rock song I heard
    Jeremy - PJ first PJ song I heard

I was about 8 or so
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

not it's original release, but when it regained fame with Wayne's World. I was about 10 or so and never really had an interest in music until that movie. Queen - Classic was the first tape I ever had.
  • Pretty much anything by Bryan Adams

'Let's Get Rocked' by Def Leppard

'Everything About You' by Ugly Kid Joe

'The Walk of Life' by Dire Straits

'Carry Me' by The Levellers
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    interesting thread

age 4-6
    Anything by Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Carol King, Jim Croce.....my Mom was kind of a hippie

age 6-8
    Van Halen-Jump, Panama
    Mikey Jackson-Thriller album
    Prince-Purple Rain album

age 8-10
    Bon Jovi- Slippery When wet album
    Def Lepard-Hysteria
    Poison
    Motley Crue

age 10-12
    GNR-AFD album
    Metallica-Master of Puppets/Ride the lightning/And justice for all albums
    Megadeath-Peace sells, but whose buying?

Age 12-14
    NIRVANA-Nevermind
    PJ-Ten
    Pumpkins-Siamese Dreams
    AIC, Soundgarden, Weezer, etc.......
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    My Mum said when i was little i used to go mental to Ian Dury & The Blockheads-Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick. :)
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I was exposed to the oldies very early on as that was the radio station my dad listened to in the car. Some early favorites were Chuck Berry's "Johnny B Goode" and Elvis' "Jailhouse Rock". Dad was also a really big Led Zeppelin fan, so "Black Dog" and "Stairway to Heaven" were my favorites from them.

In terms of what was popular and new from birth to age 10, take the music from 1983 to 1993 and you have your answer. The ones that stand out in my mind are MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This", Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby", Guns N Roses' "November Rain", Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do", and a lot of the bubblegum pop that was popular from about 1987-1990. Needless to say, I didn't get into grunge until I was about 12 or 13 so I don't remember a lot of PJ, Nirvana, etc starting the "grunge revolution".
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    I remember being completely enamored with Styx's Paradise Theater, Heavy Metal the movie soundtrack, and the FM movie soundtrack when I was around 10. I would play those vinyl's over and over...

I also have a fond remembrance of Blondie's song "Rapture", Cheap Trick's "I Want you to Want Me", The Ramones "R&R High School", J Geils Band "Centerfold", Joan Jett's "I want Rock & Roll", Billy Squires "Stroke", and anything by REO Speedwagon, Journey, and Van Halen... (1984 was the first vinyl I bought when I was 12, prior to that I always listened to my older brother's records).

And pretty much every video that played on MTV during it's first two years. I watched it constantly.

Yep, that covers my 12 and under years. :)
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    interesting thread

age 4-6
    Anything by Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Carol King, Jim Croce.....my Mom was kind of a hippie

age 6-8
    Van Halen-Jump, Panama
    Mikey Jackson-Thriller album
    Prince-Purple Rain album

age 8-10
    Bon Jovi- Slippery When wet album
    Def Lepard-Hysteria
    Poison
    Motley Crue

age 10-12
    GNR-AFD album
    Metallica-Master of Puppets/Ride the lightning/And justice for all albums
    Megadeath-Peace sells, but whose buying?

Age 12-14
    NIRVANA-Nevermind
    PJ-Ten
    Pumpkins-Siamese Dreams
    AIC, Soundgarden, Weezer, etc.......

how old are you29? That is how old i am and my history reads about like yours :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Remember You're a Womble - The Wombles
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    gabers wrote:
    So I'm speaking of your pre-puberty years. When you were still young and innocent and E Street Shuffle. I heard Sister Christian the other day and it instantly took me to a special place and special time. It almost brought a tear to my eye. Things were so much easier when you're 10! Anyway, here's a list of a few that always make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Sister Christian - Night Ranger
    Come Dancing - The Kinks
    Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
    Running on Empty - Jackson Browne
    Layla - Derek and the Dominoes
    Take it Easy - The Eagles
    Fire and Rain - James Taylor
    Cuts Like a Knife - Bryan Adams
    Hard Days Night - The Beatles
    Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears

Just a few off the top of my head...

LOL by the time Sister Christian came out I was no longer "innocent". I was just telling someone the other day that Night Ranger was the 2nd band I ever saw in concert. I would have gone to them sooner, but my father had a strangle hold (or so he thought) on his daughters. Oh how wrong he was.. maybe if we would have been able to go to concerts we would have not had time to do some the "other" things we did!

Fire and Rain, certainly.. one of my all time faves, especially since it says my name in it.. You figure that out LOL

For me, the innocent years included Olivia Newton John, The Carpenters, Andy Gibb (although I dreamed of being not-so-innocent with him and his brothers and wished I could hit the notes they did!), The Commodores (my first concert was Lionel Richie, btw).. also innocent, but with fantasies was Peter Frampton... I used to kiss the I'm In You album cover.. shhhhh don't tell anyone. =)

Fun thread.. Peace!
    Just me
  • Surfin' U.S.A. - Beach Boys

Downtown Train - Rod Stewart
  • SiDSiD Posts: 76
    "Don't you forget about me" - Simple Minds
  • many songs...sweet child of mine-Gnr
    alive -pearl jam
    anarchy in the uk -sex pistols
    london calling-the clash
    youth gone wild -skid row
    we want the airwaves-Ramones(R.I.P Joey ... is the 7th anniversary of joey's passing)
    enter sadman-metallica
    love of my life-queen
    smell like a teen spirit-nirvana
    runaway train-soul asylum
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    intodeep wrote:
    how old are you29? That is how old i am and my history reads about like yours :)

pretty close, 30. I like the progression, it just kept getting better and harder.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    pretty close, 30. I like the progression, it just kept getting better and harder.
    mine are pretty close to yours, too...except replace the 10-12 years with debbie gibson, tiffany, and nkotb. yeah, i had my teeny bopper phase. :p

also listened to a lot of beach boys and monkees in my 6-8 years.

this is a fun thread.
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    NB, born in 1985

When I was nine, before little league games I either listened to Green Day Dookie or Soul Asylum Let Your Dim Light Shine.

Before that, R.E.M. Automatic for the People (on casette), Out of Time, and later Monster.

Loved the Cars Greates Hits. Motley Crue Greates Hits. Metallica Black Album. Meat Loaf Bat out of Hell II.

I remember getting Vitalogy for Christmas 1994.

Growing up, I did gymnastics 2 hours every night of the week, and the coaches always had on the Alternative/new rock station at the time.

Any yall ever here a song for the first time and reallize you heard it when you were like 4. I mean really really young. You dont remember actually hearing it before but you reallize you did. For me thats a lot of 80s pop stuff. "I'm on Fire" is almost erie to me how it makes me feel like i'm in the nursery while my mom teaches aerobics.
  • shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    when I was a little kid mid-late 70's-Steely Dan,elton John,Wings,

early 80's-Journey,Night Ranger,Styx,April Wine (I have a aunt that's 11 yrs older than me)

Mid 80's-Tears For Fears,Til' Tuesday,Jone Jett and the Black Hearts,Madonna,
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    many songs...sweet child of mine-Gnr
    alive -pearl jam
    anarchy in the uk -sex pistols
    london calling-the clash
    youth gone wild -skid row
    we want the airwaves-Ramones(R.I.P Joey ... is the 7th anniversary of joey's passing)
    enter sadman-metallica
    love of my life-queen
    smell like a teen spirit-nirvana
    runaway train-soul asylum

You sound like you were just about the coolest kid ever!
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    when the tv show the monkees hit the air i was a fan

that makes me young, at heart ;)